mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
I was in the NJ Garden State Pkwy - nice roads. I am a normal driver. Speed limit is 65 i was hitting 70 at times. The topography changes from blacktop to concrete when going over an overpass. There are expansion joints - normal slight bump and the concrete is slightly ridged. Interestingly it didn't happen on my trip down yesterday
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I can only imagine the expansion joints in NY/NJ.. yeah you're just in an area that is rift for death wobble unfortunately. High speed.. I don't know you guys even drive a jeep up there.

Chevymitchell is out there in the east.. he can fix whatever issue you're having I'm sure.

That is also the issue with DW, some odd expansion joint can cause it. You will only have DW other than when you hit that joint at the right speed to cause it. if you hit that joint at 10mph lower speed you would be fine. I had DW exactly 2 times in my last 3/4 truck. It was always at the same speed over the same bump on a highway I traveled.

Last edited:

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My guess is something is loose in the front. I have had stuff loose on my 21. Same for my stepfather in his 2500. I wouldn’t be surprised the same will be found on the 23. All easy fixes for those mechanically inclined, it is annoying. It should absolutely be found and addressed through QC at the manufacturer or PDI with the dealer.

Take it back to the dealer, they should go go through it looking at and touching everything before giving it back. When they do, take it out and try to reproduce.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
If this happened to me, I would be as upset as the OP is. However, if you search the internet there are stories like this of new vehicles having catastrophic failures from every make and every model. It is rare, but it happens. As others have said, take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Hopefully as simple as a something not tightened properly.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I was in the NJ Garden State Pkwy - nice roads. I am a normal driver. Speed limit is 65 i was hitting 70 at times. The topography changes from blacktop to concrete when going over an overpass. There are expansion joints - normal slight bump and the concrete is slightly ridged. Interestingly it didn't happen on my trip down yesterday
I'm on the parkway 90% of my 13k miles.
Return it to the dealer for a service.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Ball joints damaged in transit. Truck driver torqued to front end down the the bump stops, hit a hard bump and now they are shot. Or one wheel fell off the ramp unloading. Look for damage underneath where the frame might have paint damage that would indicate either probability.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i kew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned of thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless in its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Time to trade this sucker in, if you can't return it outright.

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
No. It’s the closest vehicle to a wrangler but it has IFS which you clearly would prefer.
Seriously? The guy has 500 miles on a brand new Sahara and it has death wobble. He has every right to be pissed. So yeah, your are being snarky.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks - there are a bazillion threads on this and it seems like there is no fix otherwise they would not continue producing cars with this issue. I appreciate ur advice but the car has 500 miles on it, Can any of parts referenced be a cause at this early stage? My concern is i go to the dealer and they just start replacing stuff and tell me it should be fixed and it isn't and the only way to know if the fix works or doesn't is to have me or my wife drive it. Like i said in my OP, my wife wouldn't navigate through it as I did. This is not a sexist remark it is just the way she is wired and she is the first to admit it. I am absolutely crazed about this at the moment. It's unacceptable to knowingly continue to sell death machines IMO the JL is like the exploding Galaxy Note 7. It needs to be taken off the market. This can and probably has resulted in many deaths - "hence death wobble"
I would be equally mad to have that issue out of the box, but have you considered the possibility that it was damaged in shipping from an improper tie down point and it may be an easy fix?

There may be a lot of threads on death wobble, but few with only 500 miles and the Jeep in stock form.

I can understand wanting to get rid of it, but for reference mine is two years old and has appox. 15,000 miles without the slightest shutter.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Seriously? The guy has 500 miles on a brand new Sahara and it has death wobble. He has every right to be pissed. So yeah, your are being snarky.
Ole snicky snarks……

Sponsored

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
I would be equally made to have issue out of the box, but have you considered the possibility that it was damaged in shipping from an improper tie down point and may be easily correctable?

There may be a lot of threads on death wobble, but few with only 500 miles and the Jeep in stock form.

I can understand wanting to get rid of it, but for reference mine is two years old and has appox. 15,000 miles without the slightest shutter.

Whatever you do good luck.
TY. I already had an appt for this Tuesday (for another problem out of the gate - it takes about $1.00 in gas before the pump clicks of!) so will add this to things to look at and post an update when i get it. It is white wrangler but maybe it should have been yellow after a certain citrus fruit :)

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
So it’s reproducible on the Parkway? Take it on the Cross Bronx Expressway at 3 AM on a weekday (so that you can actually hit “highway” speed) to make sure that the problem is fixed.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i knew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless on its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Nobody has mentioned wheel balance. Have driven quite a few 0 mile trucks, GMs, with wheel balance problems. Had the problem with my "20 JLU Eco Diesel recently. Stick on weights had come off. Discount Tire has the Road Force Balancer, the best. Bought / mounted my Nittos there, free rebalance / rotation.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
TY. I already had an appt for this Tuesday (for another problem out of the gate - it takes about $1.00 in gas before the pump clicks of!) so will add this to things to look at and post an update when i get it. It is white wrangler but maybe it should have been yellow after a certain citrus fruit :)
A while back I was talking to a dude with a rubi .. i think a 2021 but not sure now...and he told me he would get death wobble from the stock steering drag link ..he put in an aftermarket one on and the problem disappeared.. Looking outright , I couldn't find anything wrong with the original one he had out .. ball joint seemed ok but by just looking at it while not installed it would be impossible to tell anyway.. maybe u can put one of those go pro cams somewhere at an angle that might show u where the issue might be. Don't count too much on the dealer finding the problem is my point.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Nobody has mentioned wheel balance. Have driven quite a few 0 mile trucks, GMs, with wheel balance problems. Had the problem with my "20 JLU Eco Diesel recently. Stick on weights had come off. Discount Tire has the Road Force Balancer, the best. Bought / mounted my Nittos there, free rebalance / rotation.
A tire out of balance isn't throwing a a jeep into death wobble. Completely different symptoms.
Sponsored