Death Wobble - Brand new 2022 Sahara @ 500 miles

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i knew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless on its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i kew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned of thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless in its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Check the ball joints, trackbar, and control arms for proper TQ.

Check the stablizer for leaks.

Have the dealership do a full TQ check.

This issue is certainly fixable.

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Check the ball joints, trackbar, and control arms for proper TQ.

Check the stablizer for leaks.

Have the dealership do a full TQ check.

This issue is certainly fixable.
Thanks - there are a bazillion threads on this and it seems like there is no fix otherwise they would not continue producing cars with this issue. I appreciate ur advice but the car has 500 miles on it, Can any of parts referenced be a cause at this early stage? My concern is i go to the dealer and they just start replacing stuff and tell me it should be fixed and it isn't and the only way to know if the fix works or doesn't is to have me or my wife drive it. Like i said in my OP, my wife wouldn't navigate through it as I did. This is not a sexist remark it is just the way she is wired and she is the first to admit it. I am absolutely crazed about this at the moment. It's unacceptable to knowingly continue to sell death machines IMO the JL is like the exploding Galaxy Note 7. It needs to be taken off the market. This can and probably has resulted in many deaths - "hence death wobble"

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thanks - there are a bazillion threads on this and it seems like there is no fix otherwise they would not continue producing cars with this issue. I appreciate ur advice but the car has 500 miles on it, Can any of parts referenced be a cause at this early stage? My concern is i go to the dealer and they just start replacing stuff and tell me it should be fixed and it isn't and the only way to know if the fix works or doesn't is to have me or my wife drive it. Like i said in my OP, my wife wouldn't navigate through it as I did. This is not a sexist remark it is just the way she is wired and she is the first to admit it. I am absolutely crazed about this at the moment. It's unacceptable to knowingly continue to sell death machines IMO the JL is like the exploding Galaxy Note 7. It needs to be taken off the market. This can and probably has resulted in many deaths - "hence death wobble"
This phenomena has been around as long as straight axles have been around. It's a good design, but has its flaws.

With this little of mileage, my guess is a failed component out of the box at the factory. This happens with any mass produced machine. Whatever it is can be found and replaced. The low mileage works in your favor since the issue should stick out to a mechanic.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Check air pressure in your tires.

DW: 1969 on my 1969 Corvette, 1994 Harley, DW occurred in 1996.

Newton’s Laws of motion are the problem…

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Assuming no mods (even dealer installed)?

If not, drive it straight back to the dealer, demand a loaner, and don't accept it back until you've driven it with the technician in the car and are satisfied with it.

Also get up to speed on your state's lemon laws and keep documentation.

Stuff happens with any mass produced item, that's why we have warranties and lemon laws

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Someone had this on another thread - my symptom to a T

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i kew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned of thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless in its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Sorry you are having to deal with this.It would stand to reason,with no more miles than you have on the Jeep,something should be obvious as wear can't be an issue.I just hope the tech can duplicate the problem.I agree completely there is something going on with the steering components on the JLs.An inherent flaw with the current engineering. I didn't have DW on my 2021 but having driven many comparable vehicles over the years,the new Jeep was the worst driver as delivered. Good luck.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Something is definitely wrong, like chevy said.. a NEW jeep on stock tires with DW?? I don't know how you drive your jeep, some people think these are military vehicles they can run over everything with no regard. Then again, you do live in NY :) I can only imagine that place is a fucking minefield.

His suggestions are what you should look at.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
track bar, replace it.
Sponsored