YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Was the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced with stock Mopar parts or aftermarket parts?
Mopar. Everything was done under warranty.
Sponsored

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Mopar. Everything was done under warranty.
Doesnā€™t surprise me at all. Had the same problem with my JLU. Because of the experience that I had with the dealer and FCA I have lost all confidence that Mopar parts for the JLU are of the quality and engineering that is needed to solve the issue that youā€™re experiencing and, that IMO, FCA is really not interested in a proper solution. Personally, I feel that theyā€™re only interested in getting you past the warranty period with as little cost to them as possible. They replaced 2 Mopar updated steering stabilizers and each failed and the wobble returned which, by the way, was very severe on a stock Jeep. Apparently thereā€™s a third updated ss.

Before I replaced the second ss I had a Synergy track arm installed. The difference was night and day. Iā€™ve had the Synergy track arm on the Jeep for about a year now and the wobble has not returned. Remember that was with the second Mopar SS that had failed still in place. The steering stabilizer is not there to prevent wobble, it will mask it for a time until it fails and then the wobble returns.

I asked the dealer and FCA to reimburse me for the track arm but they would not because I did not have a Mopar replacement track arm installed. I didnā€™t know that was an option as both the dealer and FCA claimed the problem was the SS, not the track arm. I then replaced the drag link and tie rod. Each made a further significant improvement in the handling. Finally I had a Fox SS installed. The handling is now on a totally different level. Recently I had Falcon shocks installed.

If your JL is at stock height and the tires inflated to the proper pressure, have a good Jeep shop inspect the front end to identify the reason for the wobble. With mine it was the track arm flexing, yes bending under load. With yours it could be something else. If your going to keep your JL consider investing some money in aftermarket parts with a trustworthy shop. If your only going to keep your JL until the warranty expires then keep getting the dealer to replace parts, donā€™t sink your own cash in it.

I thought I was going to trade mine in when it was advantageous to do so because of the problems. After having the work done, Iā€™m keeping it. Itā€™s a blast to drive and I just bought a Mopar, yes Mopar Sunrider Soft Top from a gent whose daughter had no room to store the one that came with her 2019 or 2020 JLU and at a great deal. At least my money didnā€™t go to FCA and the dealer at full pop and I canā€™t wait for the warmer weather.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience with coil sprung Jeep front ends (I've owned a 95 ZJ, 99 XJ, 04 TJ Rubicon, and an 18 JLUR), these front ends tend have a wobble or shimmy to them as components begin to wear or tires are unbalanced. This is NOT death wobble. True death wobble is the uncontrolled oscillation of the front axle.

What causes death wobble? Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers. I agree with JDM, the track bar or it's associated parts (mount, bushings, bolts, etc) are the #1 culprit, followed by ball joints. Many parts/components can induce or instigate it (unbalanced tires, bad tie rod ends, etc.), either singularly or in combination with each other.

My first bout was on an 04 TJ Rubicon after lifting it only 1.5" (springs and shocks, all other components were stock). After putting the lift on, I took it for a quick test drive and got death wobble upon reaching 35 mph. The only way to stop the extreme shaking was to come to a complete stop. While driving back home, the death wobble would return at 35 mph and there was no bumps/potholes in the road. I checked the torque on everything and then did an alignment. The toe was way off (too far "in") and reset it to 1/16" toe in. Viola! No more death wobble. Yet, the improper toe is not what "caused the death wobble", it did instigate it though. Further checking revealed the front track bar axle mount bolt hole was slightly wallowed out and the track bar bushings looked bad. A new Currie track bar (along with larger diameter axle end bolt) was installed and the steering was instantly better.

As a test, I moved the toe settings way in but could not replicate the death wobble.

My 99 XJ had a bad shimmy too. After replacing the worn out track bar, steering joints, and control arms, it was instantly better.

First, it's important to know which of your suspension and/or steering components is loose, worn out, etc. To diagnose, have a helper sit in the driver seat while you are under the front end to look at all of the suspension and steering joints. Have the helper slowly "saw" the steering wheel side to side, doesn't need to be too much, just enough to put some movement through the steering box (helps to have the engine on). While they continuously do this, you need to inspect every joint (track bar, tie rod, drag link, etc). You are looking for any slop in the joint, especially up/down or rotational movement. Replace those joints as your starting point.

Check your track bar mount, bushings, and bolts. Replace as needed. Inspect the bolt holes too ensure they haven't elongated. If so, you can either drill the mount and bushing sleeve out for a larger diameter and stronger bolt or replace the whole mount itself.

Worn out control arm bushings can also cause a shimmy or wobble, check those too.

Re-torque everything. Inspect and check ball joints for any play (there should be none). Inspect your shocks for leaking or being worn out. Finally, have your tires rebalanced and if running aftermarket wheels, ensure they are hub centric (71.5) or have the hub centric spacers.

The steering stabilizer does nothing to prevent death wobble. A properly set up front suspension and steering system should not need a stabilizer. They are an added bonus to reduce the shock felt through the steering when hitting bumps, rocks, etc.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
In my experience with coil sprung Jeep front ends (I've owned a 95 ZJ, 99 XJ, 04 TJ Rubicon, and an 18 JLUR), these front ends tend have a wobble or shimmy to them as components begin to wear or tires are unbalanced. This is NOT death wobble. True death wobble is the uncontrolled oscillation of the front axle.

What causes death wobble? Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers. I agree with JDM, the track bar or it's associated parts (mount, bushings, bolts, etc) are the #1 culprit, followed by ball joints. Many parts/components can induce or instigate it (unbalanced tires, bad tie rod ends, etc.), either singularly or in combination with each other.

My first bout was on an 04 TJ Rubicon after lifting it only 1.5" (springs and shocks, all other components were stock). After putting the lift on, I took it for a quick test drive and got death wobble upon reaching 35 mph. The only way to stop the extreme shaking was to come to a complete stop. While driving back home, the death wobble would return at 35 mph and there was no bumps/potholes in the road. I checked the torque on everything and then did an alignment. The toe was way off (too far "in") and reset it to 1/16" toe in. Viola! No more death wobble. Yet, the improper toe is not what "caused the death wobble", it did instigate it though. Further checking revealed the front track bar axle mount bolt hole was slightly wallowed out and the track bar bushings looked bad. A new Currie track bar (along with larger diameter axle end bolt) was installed and the steering was instantly better.

As a test, I moved the toe settings way in but could not replicate the death wobble.

My 99 XJ had a bad shimmy too. After replacing the worn out track bar, steering joints, and control arms, it was instantly better.

First, it's important to know which of your suspension and/or steering components is loose, worn out, etc. To diagnose, have a helper sit in the driver seat while you are under the front end to look at all of the suspension and steering joints. Have the helper slowly "saw" the steering wheel side to side, doesn't need to be too much, just enough to put some movement through the steering box (helps to have the engine on). While they continuously do this, you need to inspect every joint (track bar, tie rod, drag link, etc). You are looking for any slop in the joint, especially up/down or rotational movement. Replace those joints as your starting point.

Check your track bar mount, bushings, and bolts. Replace as needed. Inspect the bolt holes too ensure they haven't elongated. If so, you can either drill the mount and bushing sleeve out for a larger diameter and stronger bolt or replace the whole mount itself.

Worn out control arm bushings can also cause a shimmy or wobble, check those too.

Re-torque everything. Inspect and check ball joints for any play (there should be none). Inspect your shocks for leaking or being worn out. Finally, have your tires rebalanced and if running aftermarket wheels, ensure they are hub centric (71.5) or have the hub centric spacers.

The steering stabilizer does nothing to prevent death wobble. A properly set up front suspension and steering system should not need a stabilizer. They are an added bonus to reduce the shock felt through the steering when hitting bumps, rocks, etc.
I agree with all of what you have said. On the matter of the wobble in some of the stock Jeep JLā€™s; what I experienced with my JL was not a shimmy or a severe bump steer. It definitely was a severe wobble. Iā€™m not calling it a Death Wobble because Iā€™m trying to speak specifically to what is happening with the stock JL. When it first happened in my JL it was after hitting a bump or an expansion joint at around 70 mph. (This is not my first Jeep) It was so violent that the whole front end was moving side to side. I had to slow down and then I pulled over onto the paved shoulder to call the dealer to see if I should have it towed so that they could inspect the JL.

The Jeep shop that I eventually went to after the failed attempts to fix the wobble by FCA and the dealer with two steering stabilizers diagnosed the the problem as you stated and discovered that the track arm was flexing. They did not feel that it was necessary to replace the drag link and tie rod at that point or that the problem was the result of the ss. They recommended that I drive the JL with the new track bar in place first.

The severe wobble was gone and a distinct improvement of the control of the JL was also evident. However I still felt that there was a certain ā€œloosenessā€ in the handling, not to be confused with looseness in the steering. I could hear a ā€œrattlingā€ coming from the front end after going over bumps and some expansion joints but no wobble at all. I read and was told by aftermarket suppliers that the issue was likely due to the wall thickness of the tube used in the tie rod and/or drag link. It was felt that the reason for what I was feeling was the result of an oscillation that was being induced in those components and the analogy of a tuning fork was used.

So I called the 4X4 shop and ordered the Synergy drag link and tie rod. Each component was installed at different intervals and when both were installed no more rattle or looseness in the handling. I then had the Fox ss ordered and installed to replace the supposedly faulty Mopar ss, the second one. The result was a further ā€œtighteningā€ of the front end that I felt was more related to a tightening of the response to steering input.

As a result of all of this I feel that thereā€™s more going on in the front end of the stock JLā€™s, than just a wobble or a shimmy. Could be just one thing or a combination of things. I do agree that a solid steering axle and suspension will have different handling and ride characteristics than a IFS system. But what I had happening was definitely not a ā€œJeep thingā€ but a consequence of engineering and poor quality components that when corrected produce excellent live solid axle handling.

Now Iā€™m on to the dead spot in the steering, which I also will not accept as a ā€œJeep thingā€ but another engineering/component/programming issue.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all of what you have said. On the matter of the wobble in some of the stock Jeep JLā€™s; what I experienced with my JL was not a shimmy or a severe bump steer. It definitely was a severe wobble. Iā€™m not calling it a Death Wobble because Iā€™m trying to speak specifically to what is happening with the stock JL. When it first happened in my JL it was after hitting a bump or an expansion joint at around 70 mph. (This is not my first Jeep) It was so violent that the whole front end was moving side to side. I had to slow down and then I pulled over onto the paved shoulder to call the dealer to see if I should have it towed so that they could inspect the JL.

The Jeep shop that I eventually went to after the failed attempts to fix the wobble by FCA and the dealer with two steering stabilizers diagnosed the the problem as you stated and discovered that the track arm was flexing. They did not feel that it was necessary to replace the drag link and tie rod at that point or that the problem was the result of the ss. They recommended that I drive the JL with the new track bar in place first.

The severe wobble was gone and a distinct improvement of the control of the JL was also evident. However I still felt that there was a certain ā€œloosenessā€ in the handling, not to be confused with looseness in the steering. I could hear a ā€œrattlingā€ coming from the front end after going over bumps and some expansion joints but no wobble at all. I read and was told by aftermarket suppliers that the issue was likely due to the wall thickness of the tube used in the tie rod and/or drag link. It was felt that the reason for what I was feeling was the result of an oscillation that was being induced in those components and the analogy of a tuning fork was used.

So I called the 4X4 shop and ordered the Synergy drag link and tie rod. Each component was installed at different intervals and when both were installed no more rattle or looseness in the handling. I then had the Fox ss ordered and installed to replace the supposedly faulty Mopar ss, the second one. The result was a further ā€œtighteningā€ of the front end that I felt was more related to a tightening of the response to steering input.

As a result of all of this I feel that thereā€™s more going on in the front end of the stock JLā€™s, than just a wobble or a shimmy. Could be just one thing or a combination of things. I do agree that a solid steering axle and suspension will have different handling and ride characteristics than a IFS system. But what I had happening was definitely not a ā€œJeep thingā€ but a consequence of engineering and poor quality components that when corrected produce excellent live solid axle handling.

Now Iā€™m on to the dead spot in the steering, which I also will not accept as a ā€œJeep thingā€ but another engineering/component/programming issue.
I hear you. I think the quality of the stock steering/suspension components leaves a lot to be desired. I am also moving to a Synergy tie rod, drag link, tb-sector shaft brace, and Fox TS SS.

I don't know enough about the stock steering box to attempt adjusting it, which is where the dead spot might be. I think the best anyone can hope for (unless you have a pile of cash) is to upgrade those important steering/suspension parts and do regular maintenance on everything else in the hope to keep death wobble from ever rearing it's ugly head again.

Sponsored

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
I hear you. I think the quality of the stock steering/suspension components leaves a lot to be desired. I am also moving to a Synergy tie rod, drag link, tb-sector shaft brace, and Fox TS SS.

I don't know enough about the stock steering box to attempt adjusting it, which is where the dead spot might be. I think the best anyone can hope for (unless you have a pile of cash) is to upgrade those important steering/suspension parts and do regular maintenance on everything else in the hope to keep death wobble from ever rearing it's ugly head again.
Iā€™ve already had an initial discussion with the Jeep shop that I take my JL to regarding the dead spot. Weā€™ve talked about the Track bar sector shaft brace and and adjustable lower control arms so as to be able to increase the castor. The consensus is that while those components may further improve handling and if I lift my JL will be a necessity they will likely not solve the dead spot issue.

The response to steering input at the wheels has very little lag time, so little that I donā€™t think that is the cause of the dead spot in my case. Also Iā€™ve been told that itā€™s not a good idea to mess with the steering box settings. But the electric power steering pump with itā€™s programming is another matter. It seems that is the likely culprit. PSC has a conversion that costs a lot and before next winter I will do it because I feel that in winter conditions the dead spot is dangerous.

Right now Iā€™m checking to see if there are any TSBā€™s that address the matter of the dead spot. Even if there are and they actually work (not holding my breath) the electric power steering pump still generates heat and I donā€™t like the idea of that long term.

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Doesnā€™t surprise me at all. Had the same problem with my JLU. Because of the experience that I had with the dealer and FCA I have lost all confidence that Mopar parts for the JLU are of the quality and engineering that is needed to solve the issue that youā€™re experiencing and, that IMO, FCA is really not interested in a proper solution. Personally, I feel that theyā€™re only interested in getting you past the warranty period with as little cost to them as possible. They replaced 2 Mopar updated steering stabilizers and each failed and the wobble returned which, by the way, was very severe on a stock Jeep. Apparently thereā€™s a third updated ss.

Before I replaced the second ss I had a Synergy track arm installed. The difference was night and day. Iā€™ve had the Synergy track arm on the Jeep for about a year now and the wobble has not returned. Remember that was with the second Mopar SS that had failed still in place. The steering stabilizer is not there to prevent wobble, it will mask it for a time until it fails and then the wobble returns.

I asked the dealer and FCA to reimburse me for the track arm but they would not because I did not have a Mopar replacement track arm installed. I didnā€™t know that was an option as both the dealer and FCA claimed the problem was the SS, not the track arm. I then replaced the drag link and tie rod. Each made a further significant improvement in the handling. Finally I had a Fox SS installed. The handling is now on a totally different level. Recently I had Falcon shocks installed.

If your JL is at stock height and the tires inflated to the proper pressure, have a good Jeep shop inspect the front end to identify the reason for the wobble. With mine it was the track arm flexing, yes bending under load. With yours it could be something else. If your going to keep your JL consider investing some money in aftermarket parts with a trustworthy shop. If your only going to keep your JL until the warranty expires then keep getting the dealer to replace parts, donā€™t sink your own cash in it.

I thought I was going to trade mine in when it was advantageous to do so because of the problems. After having the work done, Iā€™m keeping it. Itā€™s a blast to drive and I just bought a Mopar, yes Mopar Sunrider Soft Top from a gent whose daughter had no room to store the one that came with her 2019 or 2020 JLU and at a great deal. At least my money didnā€™t go to FCA and the dealer at full pop and I canā€™t wait for the warmer weather.
Your statement doesn't surprise me one bit. As I said earlier death wobble in my experience has always been fixed with a track bar. I understand other things cause it but in the last 10 years I have seen the track bar fix it more than any other component. When I bought my JK and my JL it was the VERY FIRST item I replaced with an aftermarket one. Synergy builds awesome products, I suspect your death wobble issue won't return.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2018 4-door JL Sport S. I have done no modifications to the wheels, tires or suspension, so I would classify it as bone-stock. Last night, at highway speed, 72, I drove over a bridge joint and I immediately went into death wobble. I had to almost slow down to 30 to get it to stop. This happened to me 2 more times last night on the same road. Now, i drive this road every day to and from work, so this road is not unfamiliar to me and there was nothing that i haven't driven over many times before. I have had the recall done for the steering stabilizer and i did notice an improvement in the handling, but this death wobble has come out of the blue. With the posted speed limit on the Turnpike being 70, I don't need to be "that guy" doing 10 under just to prevent death wobble.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to alleviate it? I am thinking Fox steering stabilizer, but this really is a problem FCA needs to address. @JeepCares
Hey, Datacache. Have you brought your Jeep to the attention of your dealer recently for diagnosis and repair of this concern? If not, we recommend scheduling one and having the technicians pinpoint the cause. Let us know if you need any assistance by sending us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I experienced the same wobble at the same speeds. My 2019 stock JL only has 500 miles on it. I have an appointment to bring it to the dealer.

Has anyone had the dealer resolve the issue?
We do recommend scheduling an appointment for this concern as soon as you can, rrcpa. Let us know if you need any assistance.

Kate
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
mine is stock and only has 3900 miles on it and every time I go over a bridge with any type of a significant expansion joint on it, mine will start shimmying. It will stop once I slow down a bit. I had the recall done and it made no difference at all. From most things I have read, you can modify the daylights out of it or live with it. I'm going to *try* and live with it.

I've been kind of lucky with mine though. I not only have death wobble, but I also have death interior, too. I've had the backup camera go out, the stereo needing to be replaced, and the keyfob breaking. When you have other things break, you don't tend to focus on the wobble so much.
Hey, wordslayer. Have you brought all of your concerns to the attention of your dealer recently? Since they will be in the best position to asses your vehicle, we recommend visiting at your earliest convenience. If you need our help at any time, send a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a 2018 4-door JL Sport S. I have done no modifications to the wheels, tires or suspension, so I would classify it as bone-stock. Last night, at highway speed, 72, I drove over a bridge joint and I immediately went into death wobble. I had to almost slow down to 30 to get it to stop. This happened to me 2 more times last night on the same road. Now, i drive this road every day to and from work, so this road is not unfamiliar to me and there was nothing that i haven't driven over many times before. I have had the recall done for the steering stabilizer and i did notice an improvement in the handling, but this death wobble has come out of the blue. With the posted speed limit on the Turnpike being 70, I don't need to be "that guy" doing 10 under just to prevent death wobble.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to alleviate it? I am thinking Fox steering stabilizer, but this really is a problem FCA needs to address. @JeepCares
I had a problem when it was cold in Flagstaff AZ. I replaced my steering stabilizer (myself), I ordered it from a CA concern and installed it in 10 minutes. Hit same potholes at 70 + MPH and no shimmy this time. I personally won't even let jeep change my oil. Was the stabilizer really replaced? My Toyota dealership came in question when I had the oil changed, I looked at the filter and it didn't seem new. The next time I put some tape on the filter. When they changed the oil the next time, guess what. That's right they never replaced the filter. The management was notified and the oil as well as filter were replaced. This is why most people do it themself if possible. I won't even go into the BMW dealership I use, they are pure crooks.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

Well put, if one can't do it themself use a trusted independent garage in which you have confidence.

Jules2018

First Name
Niesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
First time poster/long time lurker - but your issue is so close to what I went through that I wanted to provide some feedback on my experience:
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport S @13K miles - all stock. 90% highway driven. Issue happened on highway going 75mph in left lane during a road transition from bridgeway to roadway. Steering wheel and whole vehicle shook uncontrollably and it felt as if all four wheels were about to fall off. (that's my way of describing) Didn't go away until speed lowered to about 50mph. Took straight to dealer who brought up the V41 recall. Steering damper repaired same day and vehicle returned later that afternoon. Went back on highway and had same issue at @ 60mph - and I took it right back. It's been serviced a couple of times already. Best advice I can provide is to take it to the dealership as soon as possible and whatever is "repaired" do not to accept the vehicle back labeled as "drives as designed" unless they can prove it was tested at a highway speed. The dealership service manager requested my permission to let him take it home on the highway so he could experience the shaking himself and found out there was a reason I told him to be careful driving it! In my humble opinion, when the jeep gets to this "shaking" point, especially when it happens to those of us who have more mileage, whatever the real "defect" is, has already damaged other parts so expect a lengthy process of repairs to pinpoint the exact reason for the steering/shaking issues. Repairs to date include (4) new shocks, (2) separate alignments (plus a replaced hose with the turbo-separate issue) and now we are addressing the tire cupping they found (will have to replace tires) as we continue to address the loose steering, vibrations and continued tendency to pull right. It's scheduled to be seen by a Chrysler rep this week. Now - my faith in Jeep is not lost because the 2018 JLU wrangler loaner w/8K miles I used during the time mine was in service was a joy to drive! Good luck!!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You guys with 18-19 model year jeeps that have gone to aftermarket track bars and still have some looseness in the steering, keep in mind Jeep has a revised intermediate shaft for the steering column . It can be had for under $100

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine has started doing it more, too. I bought it with 13k on the odometer and never had problems. Had the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced around November and everything was fine until the past couple weeks. Now I get wobble when I hit a bridge or other bump going over 70ish mph. Taking it in tomorrow to have them look at it and hopefully replace my shitty batteries as well. Iā€™m around 18k miles now.
Happy to hear you're taking your Jeep in. Let us know how it goes.

Kate
JeepCares
Sponsored