Death Wobble at Highway Speed

Datacache

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a 2018 4-door JL Sport S. I have done no modifications to the wheels, tires or suspension, so I would classify it as bone-stock. Last night, at highway speed, 72, I drove over a bridge joint and I immediately went into death wobble. I had to almost slow down to 30 to get it to stop. This happened to me 2 more times last night on the same road. Now, i drive this road every day to and from work, so this road is not unfamiliar to me and there was nothing that i haven't driven over many times before. I have had the recall done for the steering stabilizer and i did notice an improvement in the handling, but this death wobble has come out of the blue. With the posted speed limit on the Turnpike being 70, I don't need to be "that guy" doing 10 under just to prevent death wobble.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to alleviate it? I am thinking Fox steering stabilizer, but this really is a problem FCA needs to address. @JeepCares
Sponsored

OP
OP

Datacache

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
How many miles are on the Jeep? It might be an issue of worn balljoints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends...but it's probably just the craptastic aluminum steering box.

25,000 miles

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
25,000 miles
I really can't imagine a steering box causing death wobble, I have never heard of or seen one cause it. My experience has always been the track bar, but I understand other items cause it. If you plan to try and fix it yourself I would start by checking the torque on the front end components, especially the track bar and control arms.

Edit to add: Jeep sent the JL's from the factory with the track bar torqued to 52lbs if I recall. It was really light as the JK called for close to 150lbs. The Mopar lift (and other lifts) call for the track bar to be torqued to 147 lbs I think, I am going off memory here so you may want to search it. But I can tell you from experience 52lbs is not nearly heavy enough on the torque.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My jeep has the exact same problem. Same speeds with same result. Already had the steering box replaced and the stabilizer (both about 10k miles ago) 23k miles on the Jeep now.

I wouldn't call mine death wobble, but it's 100% a violent shimmy until I slow down to about 50-55 from 70

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
So you had the recall done and now it happens? This is why I won't take mine in for the placebo effect. They want folks to think it is doing something. Take the advice above and start with font end shakedown.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So you had the recall done and now it happens? This is why I won't take mine in for the placebo effect. They want folks to think it is doing something. Take the advice above and start with font end shakedown.
For me it was doing it but very minor. Had the stabilizer replaced. Now I can't drive it on the freeway above 65-70.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I've only had the death wobble when the jeep was totally loaded down going on vacation. Five passengers, cargo area completely crammed, and I hit a change in the highway and got the wobble. Pretty much same speeds as you guys are talking. Hasn't happened since last summer. I have a Sport S but I do have rubi suspension professionally installed.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
For me it was doing it but very minor. Had the stabilizer replaced. Now I can't drive it on the freeway above 65-70.
And Jeep/Dealer is ignoring you? I would be at their doorstep until they fixed it. That is not acceptable. Have they or you recreated it with them in the vehicle?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
And Jeep/Dealer is ignoring you? I would be at their doorstep until they fixed it. That is not acceptable. Have they or you recreated it with them in the vehicle?
I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet to have it addressed. It started happening pretty recently.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet to have it addressed. It started happening pretty recently.
Got ya.. I hope they can sort it out for you quickly. I could not imagine not being able to go highway speeds. Hope it all works out soon.

Sponsored

rrcpa

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I experienced the same wobble at the same speeds. My 2019 stock JL only has 500 miles on it. I have an appointment to bring it to the dealer.

Has anyone had the dealer resolve the issue?

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
mine is stock and only has 3900 miles on it and every time I go over a bridge with any type of a significant expansion joint on it, mine will start shimmying. It will stop once I slow down a bit. I had the recall done and it made no difference at all. From most things I have read, you can modify the daylights out of it or live with it. I'm going to *try* and live with it.

I've been kind of lucky with mine though. I not only have death wobble, but I also have death interior, too. I've had the backup camera go out, the stereo needing to be replaced, and the keyfob breaking. When you have other things break, you don't tend to focus on the wobble so much.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Could be bad shocks too. When you’re hitting a bump at that speed your tire is dribbling like a basketball.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has started doing it more, too. I bought it with 13k on the odometer and never had problems. Had the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced around November and everything was fine until the past couple weeks. Now I get wobble when I hit a bridge or other bump going over 70ish mph. Taking it in tomorrow to have them look at it and hopefully replace my shitty batteries as well. I’m around 18k miles now.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Mine has started doing it more, too. I bought it with 13k on the odometer and never had problems. Had the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced around November and everything was fine until the past couple weeks. Now I get wobble when I hit a bridge or other bump going over 70ish mph. Taking it in tomorrow to have them look at it and hopefully replace my shitty batteries as well. I’m around 18k miles now.
Was the track bar and steering stabilizer replaced with stock Mopar parts or aftermarket parts?
Sponsored