First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I have a Mopar Lifted since new JLUR with 37’s and Beadlocks, violent wobble this morning generated at 41mph. Goes in to the shop tomorrow to asses. Haven’t experienced this since my 2010 built JKUR. Not going to speculate yet, just wondering who else has has their JL wobble.. I still love my JL and this is the first real issue
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Blazer, 2019 JLR, 2015 JLURHR (sold) 2014 JLUS (sold) 2014 JLRX (Sold)
I have a Mopar Lifted since new JLUR with 37’s and Beadlocks, violent wobble this morning generated at 41mph. Goes in to the shop tomorrow to asses. Haven’t experienced this since my 2010 built JKUR. Not going to speculate yet, just wondering who else has has their JL wobble.. I still love my JL and this is the first real issue
Did you upgrade your steering stabilizer? Have you re-torqued everything since the install? Are your tires properly balanced? Any mud packed in the wheels?

OP
OP
TopPinArcher

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Did you upgrade your steering stabilizer? Have you re-torqued everything since the install? Are your tires properly balanced? Any mud packed in the wheels?
This is my 7th built Jeep, the steering stabilizer could be part of it..it was not upgraded..wheels and tires are not the culprit....under warranty so I’ll find out tomorrow....I’ll keep you updates

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
3.5" lift and 37" bead locks here too.
No death wobble yet. Like mentioned above, I re torqued everything (with the weight of the jeep on the ground).
I'm still running factory stabilizer, no issues.

I get the occasional bump steer steering wheel shimmy, but that's only on a corner at a high speed. It quickly goes away after a couple seconds. It helped tremendously when I aired down to 28 psi cold

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Check your date code on your steering stabilizer if you still have the OEM version. Many people had their wobble go away (lifted and non-lifted) when they replaced it with either an aftermarket steering stabilizer or the new -AD version of the OEM version of the steering stabilizer. More info here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-8#post-436030

Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
This is my 7th built Jeep, the steering stabilizer could be part of it..it was not upgraded..wheels and tires are not the culprit....under warranty so I’ll find out tomorrow....I’ll keep you updates
Upgrade stabilizer bud

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I have 35s on my stock JLUR and am at 6300, just got death wobble 2x in 3 days @ 35 mph after a small bump in road.

OP
OP
TopPinArcher

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I had the bump steer which went away with the last flash at the dealer
3.5" lift and 37" bead locks here too.
No death wobble yet. Like mentioned above, I re torqued everything (with the weight of the jeep on the ground).
I'm still running factory stabilizer, no issues.

I get the occasional bump steer steering wheel shimmy, but that's only on a corner at a high speed. It quickly goes away after a couple seconds. It helped tremendously when I aired down to 28 psi cold
m
I have 35s on my stock JLUR and am at 6300, just got death wobble 2x in 3 days @ 35 mph after a small bump in road.
I am pretty confidant now that the steering stabilizer is the culprit, there was a FCA update to dealers regarding early JL’s...they’re still working on mine and I’ll post the results.

Jschmadeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Similar issues here. Just ordered the ruff country dual stabilizer kit. Not a super huge fan of their stuff, but liked that it relocates the stabs up and away from rocks. I've also heard oem stabs were causing alot of death wobble issues.

I think ill crawl under her and retorque the front end to rule that out.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
A faulty steering stabilizer is not the cause of death wobble and likewise a new one will not cure death wobble. It may, at best, be a bandaid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TopPinArcher

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
The steering stabilizer has been found to be shot, I have also blown out my second fox shock. That is the diagnosis

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I’ve never seen death wobble be the result of a bad steering stabilizer. Crazy.
There is a service bulletin for stabilizers below a certain number, can’t remember what it is. Air bubbles in the cylinder causing steering shimmy. I think a lot of people confuse death wobble with shimmy - if you have had seat wobble in a JK you know it is very violent and requires you to come a complete stop, slowing down or driving slow will not stop death wobble.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
I had my stabilizer replaced at 7300 miles and I still have the issue. Granted, it is somewhat better, it is still there. So at least in my case, the stabilizer was a bandaid. It is back in the shop now...
Sponsored