First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
It’s probably not the stabilizer!! It’s the trackbar...it’s not beefy enough. Easy way to check if that’s it. 1. Measure from exact spot both sides to top of tire. Should be the same. Mine was off 3/4”..I am lifted
2. This proves it’s weak...watch the TB while someone turns steering wheel side to side, the TB bows up.

Fix. Install steer smart system just like Kevin8086 did. $$ we’ll spent.
Sponsored

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Don't mention to anyone on the forum that you have experienced a death wobble. Here is what they will believe you experienced regardless of what may have happened.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I think you guys are overusing or simply misusing the term death wobble. Death wobble in a wrangler is terrifying and incapacitating. It’s not a vibration or loose steering.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think you guys are overusing or simply misusing the term death wobble. Death wobble in a wrangler is terrifying and incapacitating. It’s not a vibration or loose steering.
Yes, a lot of people, not just on this forum, are misusing the term death wobble. The last time I was waiting for my oil change at the Jeep dealership, I was talking with a random sales guy killing time. I mentioned the shudder that some are reporting. He said "you mean death wobble?" I said, "no, shudder." I showed him one of the videos someone posted on the JL forum where the steering wheel was slightly, but fast, shuddering back and forth. He said "that's death wobble". Then I showed him a video with a real death wobble and he said "oh, that's death wobble too, but the first video is death wobble as well, just a different level". lol I wanted to push back and say the shudder was NOT death wobble but I didn't want to get into an argument, so I didn't push it. When I asked, he said he has worked at the Jeep dealership over 8 years. So both noobs and non-noobs are mixing things all into one lump categorization. This gave me some insight into why so many people are incorrectly categorizing shimmy vs death wobble.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
In case anyone has any information around rights re: lemon laws, or any further thoughts on the below would be greatly appreciated. In short, just got back from the Jeep dealership - I am still trying to calm down from the experience. In short:

1. Called 2 weeks ago to make an appointment at dealership in CT due to dealership in Manhattan having very bad ratings. I specifically made multiple calls to ensure that dealership knew I would be driving in, standing by and were aware of all issues to address at same time.

2. Was given a case number by the Jeep FCA account here on the forums. Was told someone from Jeep would call me, no call ever received.

3. I show up at the dealership today at my appointment time of 11:00am. Cut to 11:35am, I'm still standing in the parking lot looking around when technical advisor 1 comes out and tells me because lunch is happening soon everyone will be out and I would be there most of the day. When I asked why my appointment time wasn't being honored I was told "there are lots of issues" and "the appointment time is simply to limit the number of appointments in the day." I told him I didn't understand as I called to confirm multiple times why the appointment was made, where I was coming from and that I would be on standby + not leaving the Rubi. Was then told I didn't care about the technicians lunch and they work hard. This after I drove an hour and a half to the dealership and spent another half an hour standing around. Was also told "this is how dealerships work, everyone knows this."

4. Went inside, spoke to technical advisor 2. Same response - lunch is important. I proceeded to explain the above again - and I'm quoting the conversation:

Technical Advisor: "Let me ask you a smart question. Why didn't you bring the Jeep back to where you got it from?"

Me: "The Jeep dealership I purchased my Jeep from is far."

Technical Advisor: "Well, why didn't you buy it here?:

Me: "I'm not sure why that makes a difference or addresses the issues I'm having, both with the Jeep or now my appointment.

5. Long story short, closer to noon technician finally comes out after I told them I would take it up with Jeep directly. Asked for my Jeep back and was told to go for a ride. Technician acknowledged there was a lot of play in the steering wheel, and most likely bad dampener due to wobble. Other items not addressed on ride.

Finally get back, stand around some more and the manager comes out - tells me answers to issues which aren't all correct. I.E. fairing on right needs to go to body shop to be adjusted because of light bar install, which has nothing to do with the light bar.

If you were in my shoes - what would you do? I do not want to go back to the same dealership, at same time Jeep is now not responding to my PMs even though they're online. If I go elsewhere will be more wasted hours - having to first diagnose before ordering anything.

Cannot believe this is the experience with Jeep these days - officially the last time. Since 2005 I've had Rubicons and I cannot wait to get out of this one fast enough.

I cannot believe as we approach 2019 - when you have issues with a vehicle with a $52K window sticker price companies will say things like "let me ask you a smart question."

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
In case anyone has any information around rights re: lemon laws, or any further thoughts on the below would be greatly appreciated. In short, just got back from the Jeep dealership - I am still trying to calm down from the experience. In short:

1. Called 2 weeks ago to make an appointment at dealership in CT due to dealership in Manhattan having very bad ratings. I specifically made multiple calls to ensure that dealership knew I would be driving in, standing by and were aware of all issues to address at same time.

2. Was given a case number by the Jeep FCA account here on the forums. Was told someone from Jeep would call me, no call ever received.

3. I show up at the dealership today at my appointment time of 11:00am. Cut to 11:35am, I'm still standing in the parking lot looking around when technical advisor 1 comes out and tells me because lunch is happening soon everyone will be out and I would be there most of the day. When I asked why my appointment time wasn't being honored I was told "there are lots of issues" and "the appointment time is simply to limit the number of appointments in the day." I told him I didn't understand as I called to confirm multiple times why the appointment was made, where I was coming from and that I would be on standby + not leaving the Rubi. Was then told I didn't care about the technicians lunch and they work hard. This after I drove an hour and a half to the dealership and spent another half an hour standing around. Was also told "this is how dealerships work, everyone knows this."

4. Went inside, spoke to technical advisor 2. Same response - lunch is important. I proceeded to explain the above again - and I'm quoting the conversation:

Technical Advisor: "Let me ask you a smart question. Why didn't you bring the Jeep back to where you got it from?"

Me: "The Jeep dealership I purchased my Jeep from is far."

Technical Advisor: "Well, why didn't you buy it here?:

Me: "I'm not sure why that makes a difference or addresses the issues I'm having, both with the Jeep or now my appointment.

5. Long story short, closer to noon technician finally comes out after I told them I would take it up with Jeep directly. Asked for my Jeep back and was told to go for a ride. Technician acknowledged there was a lot of play in the steering wheel, and most likely bad dampener due to wobble. Other items not addressed on ride.

Finally get back, stand around some more and the manager comes out - tells me answers to issues which aren't all correct. I.E. fairing on right needs to go to body shop to be adjusted because of light bar install, which has nothing to do with the light bar.

If you were in my shoes - what would you do? I do not want to go back to the same dealership, at same time Jeep is now not responding to my PMs even though they're online. If I go elsewhere will be more wasted hours - having to first diagnose before ordering anything.

Cannot believe this is the experience with Jeep these days - officially the last time. Since 2005 I've had Rubicons and I cannot wait to get out of this one fast enough.

I cannot believe as we approach 2019 - when you have issues with a vehicle with a $52K window sticker price companies will say things like "let me ask you a smart question."
Maybe do what this guy did: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-159#post-487868 I think he included their direct phone number on one of his posts. If that doesn't work, try this:

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Maybe do what this guy did: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-159#post-487868 I think he included their direct phone number on one of his posts. If that doesn't work, try this:

I'm 33, I've worked on cars and owned everything over the 17 years I've been driving. I now finally understand why people do things like what the guy did with his Range Rover - or even the guy with the M5 who kept smashing it outside of the dealership. Of all the money car manufacturers spend on acquiring new customers - you'd think they would look at the customers already spending money with them repeatedly to continue driving revenue.
Sponsored