Death wobble after Mopar 2" diesel lift

reost1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2022 Rubicon
I have a new 2022 diesel Rubicon and just added after much research, the Mopar 2inch diesel lift. I am experiencing serious death wobble. I have already had the jeep back and everything is installed correctly. Has anybody experienced the same thing and if so, what did you do to correct it?
Sponsored

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
You broke your Jeep. It is totaled and now useless. To make you feel better I will purchase it for $100. It's better than nothing. It's a paperweight at the moment.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I have a new 2022 diesel Rubicon and just added after much research, the Mopar 2inch diesel lift. I am experiencing serious death wobble. I have already had the jeep back and everything is installed correctly. Has anybody experienced the same thing and if so, what did you do to correct it?
More than likely something is “loose”. Did you install or dealer? If dealer, take it back, if you, recheck everything to be sure it’s all snugged up to spec. Alignment could be off as well. With a Mopar lift, installed correctly you “should” be fine. Question-are you new to Jeeps? Solid axle short wheelbase vehicles do NOT handle like the average vehicle. Is the “death wobble” you experience a totally out of control violent shaking OR is it just a “looseness” in steering. The more details you can provide the better chance somebody here will have the answers.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Double check every bolt and confirm everything is torqued to spec. It sounds like a bolt wasn't torqued down allowing some play for the death wobble to happen. You can use this for reference.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/complete-torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler/

If all the bolts are torqued to spec then the lift may have left you with too little castor. You'll need longer LCAs to adjust that. But frankly, I think a mis-torqued bolt is likely your issue.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I suggest rotating the tires first. I know that is not the main problem, but an out-of-round or out-of balance tire compounds the problem. Then check everything attached to the axle for a loose bolt. Good luck.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I’ve never seen an “out of tightening specifications bolt” cause death wobble. If you lifted the Jeep there are many factors that could cause it and almost all of them have to do with the geometry of the suspension.

1)adjustable track Bars and control arms would almost certainly give you much to work with in fixing the problem.

2) if it’s a spacer lift (not a shock and spring replacement) you will more then likely experience oddities as a result.

there’s a long list of things can cause it but in my many years of experience fixing the proper angles when it comes to caster and making sure you’re control arms are the proper length have almost always fixed death wobble and any vibrational issues after lifting a jeep. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
reost1

reost1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2022 Rubicon
Thank you all for your advice. I had the lift professionally installed at a Jeep only modification location. I had purchased the correct Mopar lift for a Diesel jeep and had them install the heavy-duty Fox shock steering stabilizer as well. They balanced the wheels and aligned the front end. I have taken it back and they have double checked that all the connections were properly torqued. I am not new to jeeping so when the front end started shaking profusely, I knew there was an issue. I have scheduled an appt with the dealer now. Before the appt, I will double check many of your suggestions on the Jeep.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I dont trust shops to work on my jeep any more. Had some basic stuff done and when I got under it to check virtually NOTHING was torqued properly. Some bolts were only hand tight.

I think you are making a good choice by having a different dealer or shop take a look at it. Good luck.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve never seen an “out of tightening specifications bolt” cause death wobble.
Go loosen your track bar bolt, take it for a drive over a pot hole, and report back. ;)

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
The shop says they checked everything. I suggest you do. Make sure the springs are in their correct locations and the front and rear links are correct for their location and installed correctly. Did you install larger tires? Did you add adjustable track bars or control arms? Or was the Mopar lift installed as is with all else remaining stock?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Loose track bar bolts is the number one cause. Also, how much caster correction do you Have? It may take up to 6 degrees to help eliminate it.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Go loosen your track bar bolt, take it for a drive over a pot hole, and report back. ;)
How many lbs of torque should I loosen it? Should I also loosen other bolts and then drive off a cliff too? Lol smh. Read the quote. I didn’t say a loose bolt can’t cause it I said one that’s not exactly in spec, big difference. They mount straight into bracket cups, and unless the specs are bending metal to increase pressure I don’t think a few lbs off spec will have any effect. The greater likelyhood is the change in geometry causing the issue.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
How many lbs of torque should I loosen it? Should I also loosen other bolts and then drive off a cliff too? Lol smh. Read the quote. I didn’t say a loose bolt can’t cause it I said one that’s not exactly in spec, big difference. They mount straight into bracket cups, and unless the specs are bending metal to increase pressure I don’t think a few lbs off spec will have any effect. The greater likelyhood is the change in geometry causing the issue.
What change in geometry? The Mopar lift is springs, shocks, end links, lower control arms and bump stops. Geometry shouldn’t be out of whack. Something or things are loose and/or improperly installed.
Sponsored