Death Wobble - 30 day backorder on replacement steering damper

Mordraq

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ Sahara 4xe
@JeepCares just spoke with the dealership taking a look at my 2021 wrangler 4xe Rubicon, and they noted that my steering damper is defective and needs to be replaced to mitigate the risk of future steer wobbling (severe in my case) on the highway. It is undriveable over 40 mph until I get this fixed.

The part is back ordered for at least 30 days, and the dealership does not have any courtesy vehicles. With the car being under warranty, they said to reach out to Jeepcares for assistance in getting a rental. I drive twice a week over 300 highway miles to get to work and can’t go without a vehicle. Please help with a solution.
Just went through this exact scenario. Stellantis DID cover a rental. I made a point that we had one vehicle and it was dangerous (was definitely scary when the wobble occurred). Lady noted in writing she'd cover it, but was fuzzy on for how long with broad statements like "It should be okay". In the end, I just went week on week with a rental and every extension I'd check back and press (document) the fact they were covering. I received my check about 2 weeks after sending them evidence of the work and the car rental bill ($1100).

jwmmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl
Thank You
I seem to be hitting loose ends. We are using one car now also.
@JeepCares. I asked for a rental via email and with customer service on phone. Haven’t got nowhere. No one seems to care

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thank You
I seem to be hitting loose ends. We are using one car now also.
@JeepCares. I asked for a rental via email and with customer service on phone. Haven’t got nowhere. No one seems to care
Waiting on this is ridiculous. Replace it with a high quality through shaft stabilizer.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
The part is back ordered for at least 30 days, and the dealership does not have any courtesy vehicles. With the car being under warranty, they said to reach out to Jeepcares for assistance in getting a rental. I drive twice a week over 300 highway miles to get to work and can’t go without a vehicle. Please help with a solution.
hunh. I just had a steering damper replaced in NYC in Dec around Christmas, it took less than a week to come into the parts department.

Sponsored

jwmmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl
I am in Orange County 50
Miles north of you

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
That’s probably the right move. Any recommendations?

Looks like this one should do the trick and technically an upgrade on stock?

https://www.morris4x4center.com/fox...MImaC66rfh_AIVf21vBB2JSgCjEAQYASABEgLB6PD_BwE
Yes. Do that. You'll thank yourself. FTLOGod, don't put the original back on. That one will keep working well for you even when you lift it. Trust me. #experience.

Even IF they got the backordered one in, it'll still suck after they put it on. The Fox series are pretty good imo.

Also, it'll take you about 15 minutes with 1 socket wrench and a crescent wrench to put this on. EVEN if you aren't mechanically-inclined.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just buy an aftermarket one and install it yourself. They aren't that expensive or hard to install and certainly cheaper then doing without your Jeep for very long. Have the Jeep dealer document that you added the aftermarket one due to their inability to provide the service part.
Agreed. If I was really scared to drive my vehicle I'm not waiting on a $60 part. I'd buy it myself and put it in.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The dealer replaced my stabilizer at the end of December. Part came in within a few days. I must have lucked out.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Ccameron511,

Christopher,

As pointed out by @KrispyKotex (Mike) post #31 above, I just received my "NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS SETTLEMENT" card in the mail.

It states that "if you purchased or leased a 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler or 2010 Jeep Gladiator, a proposed class action settlement may affect your rights and entitle you to cash compensation. This is not a lawyer solicitation."

The settlement contact information is:
Reynolds, et al. v. FCA US LLC
c/o CPT Group Inc.
50 Corporate Park
Irvine, CA 92606

www.cptgroupcaseinfo.com/FCAUSSettlement
or call toll-free 1-888-318-0175

My notice also states that I'm entitled to:
(1) Warranty Extension: If you own or lease a Class Vehicle and do not opt out of the settlement class, FCA US will provide a warranty extension of up to 8 years or 90,000 miles, whichever is earlier, from the date the vehicle was first sold to its original owner or lessee, to cover all parts and labor needed to replace a failed front suspension steering damper.

(2) Cash Reimbursement for Repairs: You may be entitled to reimbursement if you paid out-of-pocket for a replacement of the front suspension steering damper in your Class Vehicle. To submit a claim for reimbursement, go to www.fcarecallreimbursement.com.

Hope this helps.
Jay

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you are in need an OE stabilizer and are within driving distance of Bellingham, WA (including Canada), I have a factory stabilizer with less than 5,000 miles sitting in my garage that you can have for free.

It is the “new and improved” stabilizer swapped out by the dealer during the recall.

I changed it for a Fox 2.0 after I mounted 35s.

PM if interested.

valheru

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
So I just had my car in because I noticed that my car was drifting a little bit and the dealership mentioned that they have ordered a damper for replacement. I've read on a few other threads that if I don't have the death wobble don't replace it as it has caused the wobble for those who have. Should I not get it replaced and live with it until something goes wrong?

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
So I just had my car in because I noticed that my car was drifting a little bit and the dealership mentioned that they have ordered a damper for replacement. I've read on a few other threads that if I don't have the death wobble don't replace it as it has caused the wobble for those who have. Should I not get it replaced and live with it until something goes wrong?
The damper was just replaced as a DW fix in my jeep so in theory it should be ok.