Sponsored

Death Wobble 2020 JL Sahara - Gonna be a gong show I can tell...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Man, something is way out of whack there. Have you looked under the Jeep yet to see what is actually new? With that many new parts, something has to be installed wrong.

Does it make any horrible noises when it starts to shake?
Of three pages of these posts you are the first person to mention this!!

I say for anyone getting a lift or any suspension modifications do it yourself. If not, make darn sure you as soon as you get it back to check every single moving component by putting a torque wrench to it. Also anything not new that is a moving component needs to be inspected for wear.

Do not trust dealers or suspension shops to do this. Steering, brakes and all moving suspension/chassis components are something that needs to be done by the owner. I do not mean to be harsh but if you are unable to do this simple task, then you do not belong behind the wheel of any vehicle.

Come on guys and gals this is grade school stuff no more difficult than an oil change and torquing the drain plug.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Can't think of any shops that do only ball joint work, so they probably couldn't. But $2-300 for good ball joints and about 3 hours worth of work.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Can't think of any shops that do only ball joint work, so they probably couldn't. But $2-300 for good ball joints and about 3 hours worth of work.
Ball joints on a Jeep are a 3.8 hour job, by the book. That’s about 500 dollars labor, plus parts cost and tax I would expect nearly 1000 to do the 4.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Been awhile since I had a shop do any work like that. Didn't think about how pricey hourly rates have risen to. Guys in shops who have done this a few times take about 45 minutes a side. But, yeah, book is how they're paid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
HI everyone...

The shop was able to fix the DW.

Give me a few days...

I've verified it's fixed - and I just want to get a few photos of what they did to resolve it... As well as the explanation from the guy that runs the shop so that it might make sense to those of you who know your stuff (unlike me lol)

MoHeTow!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUR4XE Tuscadero ordered
I've got a 19 JLUR that has started the dreaded DW, haven't taken it to the shop yet but does anyone know the torque specs for the steering components?

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Two things.

One is something that so many that commented already have mentioned is proper torque for all nuts and bolts suspension related. The dealer and shops don't always do their job correctly. I did a video awhile back on my JT on my youtbe channel. I had the TSB steering box replacement done. Got my jeep back and it was all over the place. Found my pitman arm nut to be finger tight. That nut has to be 180 ft/lbs and has to have loctite. In fact, if you order a new nut, it comes with loctite already on it. Also found both lower balljoints not withing torque specs. So you have to checck all nuts and bolts for proper torque.

Second is that the suspension installer should have torqued the components with the suspension compressed.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I've got a 19 JLUR that has started the dreaded DW, haven't taken it to the shop yet but does anyone know the torque specs for the steering components?
Here's a doc that I found in the past that was floating around. And the pitman arm nut to steering box is 184 ft/lbs. Been there, done that. Haha

Attachments

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
HI everyone...

Give me a few days...

I've verified it's fixed - and I just want to get a few photos of what they did to resolve it... As well as the explanation from the guy that runs the shop so that it might make sense to those of you who know your stuff (unlike me lol)
Glad you got it fixed!!! You're definitely going to have to update us all with those pics and the info as to what they did.

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Oh only 184 Ft lbs, I'll have to be sure to at my Wheaties first ha. Thanks
Yea. I believe I was sitting on the ground with my feet braced against the bumper pulling back. I might have had that vein pop up in the middle of my forehead like a klingon from star trek!😂😂😂

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
HI everyone...

Give me a few days...

So, any updates?
Sponsored