First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Ok.
I'll make note. Maybe catch up with you then
Here's a link to a map of Death Valley for those that haven't been. Scroll down a bit to see map.
I've not done it in my Jeep yet.

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/death-valley.html

Hey Harry,
I'll run this trip by the wife, she loves desert flowers and perhaps we can do an RV meetup and roll out together?
What park or location are you thinking about?
If she can't or doesn't want to go, I am still very interested.
I use HAM: KM6YNP
Mostly 70cm / 2M when it's on.

Let me know
Steve

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reminder to anyone interested. Leaving San Fernando Valley for Death Valley at 7am on March 21. Join us for some 4 wheeling, camping and exploring in one of my favorite places. So much to see! Goler Cyn, Barker Ranch, Butte Valley, the Lippencott, Hunter Mt. Some of the most amazing country you'll ever see. The nightsky, the sunrises and sunsets are among the most spectacular around. Enjoy dry camping under the stars in wide open land that few have ever seen. You will carry all you need and be responsible for your own park pass. I have gone to Death Valley several times thru the years and continue to be awwed with it's beauty. I welcome your questions you may have or help organizing with me. Obviously, weather and possible washouts have the potential to affect these dates. I ask you to remain adaptable to the conditions.
Vic

Update, I have been asked a couple questions.
New Jeeper friendly. Yes

Jeep's with no mods. Yes

Fuel. I carry extra. It would be good insurance to have. Your call. Fuel in Death Valley is both scarce and expensive.
I have one of my Rotopax mounting plates left if anyone is interested.

All dry camping. I don't count on water. Sometimes water has been available, while it has not been available other times.

We will individually be responsible for entry fee in to park. Best to just purchase an annual pass if you plan other trips to parks this year. I think it's $85.00. I'm going to buy one while the govt is running.

If for some reason Death Valley is not an option behind govt issues, my stand by trip will be the Mojave Road.
Vic
Hey Vic,
Very much interested in this trip.
May head up before and set up basecamp with the RV.
Do you have a route confirmed yet, or will it be group conscious based on Jeep / driver ability at the time?
Let me know if you need help with logistics or anything else.

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hey Vic,
Very much interested in this trip.
May head up before and set up basecamp with the RV.
Do you have a route confirmed yet, or will it be group conscious based on Jeep / driver ability at the time?
Let me know if you need help with logistics or anything else.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, looks like we're meeting in Ballarat by 11am Thursday, rolling at noon to give anyone time. Traveling south on Wingate Rd and going into Goler Cyn. Barker Ranch, Mengel pass and up into Butte Valley. We will stop somewhere along there Thursday afternoon/night. It will be a long haul to Butte Valley with a group. Probably stop before then and make camp. In to Butte Valley, and possibly roll out to West Rd up to Ubehebe crater to Racetrack Valley to either the Lippencott or Hunter mountain, Steel Pass and out lots to see from Racetrack Valley. Maybe take a consensus. Plan is to get in there and work with those there. I am not stuck on my way. I am about as hardheaded as a grape! Fuel, food, variables, various outpoints that work for others would all be looked at. My Jeep and at least one more will need to be back in San Fernando Valley Sunday night tho.
Vic

Hope that helps

Sponsored

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Feel free to ignore this comment since there is a very good chance I will not be able to join, but...

Why not start in Baker instead? Come up Harry Wade and Westside Road, and then cross over the Panamint Range and then take the 190 through Panamint Springs up to Saline Valley Road/Hunter Mt. aka South Pass/Race Track/Lippincott.

The drive from Warm Spring Canyon to Ubehebe/Racetrack is gonna be a LONG full day of mostly paved road and you'll definitely be setting up camp in the dark. The route I proposed is 85% dirt and off road and has good camp opportunities at Butte Valley, Lee Flats, and Racetrack (dry camp only) with an easy refuel and resupply at the Panamint Springs Resort along the way. Once you get to the junction of Lippincott and Saline Valley Road you'll have the option of continuing north through Saline Valley for more adventures or heading back south out to the 190 for those that have to cut it short.

You can find decent updates on road conditions on South Pass, North Pass, Lippincott, Steel Pass here:
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/?forum=162656

Happy Trails!

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Feel free to ignore this comment since there is a very good chance I will not be able to join, but...

Why not start in Baker instead? Come up Harry Wade and Westside Road, and then cross over the Panamint Range and then take the 190 through Panamint Springs up to Saline Valley Road/Hunter Mt. aka South Pass/Race Track/Lippincott.

The drive from Warm Spring Canyon to Ubehebe/Racetrack is gonna be a LONG full day of mostly paved road and you'll definitely be setting up camp in the dark. The route I proposed is 85% dirt and off road and has good camp opportunities at Butte Valley, Lee Flats, and Racetrack (dry camp only) with an easy refuel and resupply at the Panamint Springs Resort along the way. Once you get to the junction of Lippincott and Saline Valley Road you'll have the option of continuing north through Saline Valley for more adventures or heading back south out to the 190 for those that have to cut it short.

You can find decent updates on road conditions on South Pass, North Pass, Lippincott, Steel Pass here:
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/?forum=162656

Happy Trails!
I have gone that route as well. Goler Cyn and Butte Valley are a couple of my personal favorites tho. This trip we have a couple newer folks with us. All may not be quite as ready as me or you. Personally I have spent 11 days involved in the areas you mentioned carrying fuel and food. For a couple this will be their first trip in for something like this. Fuel will not possibly be an issue with us going up the road. That won't be an all day drive. Maybe 2 hrs of road time including a fuel or grocery stop.
Thanks for the heads up

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Here's a link to a map of Death Valley for those that haven't been. Scroll down a bit to see map.
I've not done it in my Jeep yet.

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/death-valley.html

Hey Harry,
I'll run this trip by the wife, she loves desert flowers and perhaps we can do an RV meetup and roll out together?
What park or location are you thinking about?
If she can't or doesn't want to go, I am still very interested.
I use HAM: KM6YNP
Mostly 70cm / 2M when it's on.

Let me know
Steve
Not sure we were considering just heading into Boulder RV and running in from the west for day trips.
I'm going for my Tech ticket Saturday but have GMRS and CB.
Playing ot by ear as my DW is having a knee replacement in a couple of weeks.
Keep in touch.

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure we were considering just heading into Boulder RV and running in from the west for day trips.
I'm going for my Tech ticket Saturday but have GMRS and CB.
Playing ot by ear as my DW is having a knee replacement in a couple of weeks.
Keep in touch.
I won't tell anyone if you happen to key your mic,......
:)

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Hey Jeepers.. the trip is quickly approaching.. how about we get together and starting discussing the details over a couple beers? :)