Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A stock Jeep will handle anything we would encounter
How about a novice in a stock JLU? :)

This sounds fun. Could you share any of the tougher trail details so I can look them up?
Thanks
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I might be interested in, though I would be coming from Arizona. So if you had a particular destination that I could meet up with you at, perhaps off the highway before hit the trail-head.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
How about a novice in a stock JLU? :)

This sounds fun. Could you share any of the tougher trail details so I can look them up?
Thanks
A stock jlu would undoubtedly do ok. Any difficulties encountered should be able to be conquered either by help with spotting for you, a tow strap, winch or old fashioned shovel and muscle!
Look up Mengel Pass and TheLippencott Trail. They should both be passable as of October 2018. The one part I'm not recently familiar with is Hunter Mt. Rd. It has been well over 20 years for myself. My brain has far to much in it to detail 20 years back other than it didn't seem impossible.
LincolnSixAlpha, thus far the entry point would be Ballarat, CA. It is on the other side of Death Valley from you, but not sure how that location works from where you're at in AZ....we would however be exiting thru Pahrump or Shosonee, closer to AZ

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Was just in DV for the holiday break. Entered in North Pass down to Eureka Valley, up over Steel Pass and into Saline Valley, looping back out to exit Saline Valley Road/North Pass. Drove the whole thing in a stock JLUR with no problems. Dedeckera Steps was the most challenging portion, but nothing the Rubicon couldn't handle with the exception of a kiss to the middle cross bar on my rear driver side. Overall it was a beautiful drive in beautiful country.

If any of you are going over in a stock sport or sahara without a LSD, I would highly recommend upgrading to all terrain tires of some sort. The small sharp rocks on the trails can be ruthless!

Happy Trails

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Was just in DV for the holiday break. Entered in North Pass down to Eureka Valley, up over Steel Pass and into Saline Valley, looping back out to exit Saline Valley Road/North Pass. Drove the whole thing in a stock JLUR with no problems. Dedeckera Steps was the most challenging portion, but nothing the Rubicon couldn't handle with the exception of a kiss to the middle cross bar on my rear driver side. Overall it was a beautiful drive in beautiful country.

If any of you are going over in a stock sport or sahara without a LSD, I would highly recommend upgrading to all terrain tires of some sort. The small sharp rocks on the trails can be ruthless!

Happy Trails
Sounds like a great trip

Sponsored

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
May be up there in my motorhome around then. What radio frequencies do you run?
CB? GMRS? MURS?

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Reminder to anyone interested. Leaving San Fernando Valley for Death Valley at 7am on March 21. Join us for some 4 wheeling, camping and exploring in one of my favorite places. So much to see! Goler Cyn, Barker Ranch, Butte Valley, the Lippencott, Hunter Mt. Some of the most amazing country you'll ever see. The nightsky, the sunrises and sunsets are among the most spectacular around. Enjoy dry camping under the stars in wide open land that few have ever seen. You will carry all you need and be responsible for your own park pass. I have gone to Death Valley several times thru the years and continue to be awwed with it's beauty. I welcome your questions you may have or help organizing with me. Obviously, weather and possible washouts have the potential to affect these dates. I ask you to remain adaptable to the conditions.
Vic

Update, I have been asked a couple questions.
New Jeeper friendly. Yes

Jeep's with no mods. Yes

Fuel. I carry extra. It would be good insurance to have. Your call. Fuel in Death Valley is both scarce and expensive.
I have one of my Rotopax mounting plates left if anyone is interested.

All dry camping. I don't count on water. Sometimes water has been available, while it has not been available other times.

We will individually be responsible for entry fee in to park. Best to just purchase an annual pass if you plan other trips to parks this year. I think it's $85.00. I'm going to buy one while the govt is running.

If for some reason Death Valley is not an option behind govt issues, my stand by trip will be the Mojave Road.
Vic

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
Do you want to set a 12pm meeting place? Panamint Springs Resort?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Do you want to set a 12pm meeting place? Panamint Springs Resort?
Which day? I think so far we are going in thru Ballarat and up goler Cyn by Manson's place and over mengel pass to Butte Valley. We could meet you sometime Friday afternoon there. .. .

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
Ah I see! Ok For Thursday would Ballarat 10:30am? I can start putting together a google document with details if you think that would help.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ah I see! Ok For Thursday would Ballarat 10:30am? I can start putting together a google document with details if you think that would help.
Hell!! I think that would be perfect!! We will be excited to meet you and enjoy the weekend. I will plan accordingly.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Great work. The only possible change may be the time to Ballarat. Some flexibility on that meet up point or maybe we will have met up earlier... .. see my private message on that. Iappreciate your skills already.
Sponsored