Sponsored

Dear Jeep, please don't make a "weird" hybrid version of the Wrangler...

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The new AWD Prius gets 50/50 mpg. I bet a Hybrid Wrangler can get 30/30 easy
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The transportation industry is dropping hybrids like hot potatoes in favor of full electric. The torque offered by an all electric Jeep would be phenomenal, but range (measure in miles onroad or hours off road) is the achilles heal for now. We may or may not want it but electric is happening, and happening fast!!
The problem is nobody is buying full electric. The only people buying full electric are people who would have bought a Prius anyway.
Electric is happening fast as in growth (going from 1.5% to 2%). When you look at the big picture, EVs and hybrids still seem to have very limited appeal. Currently, the most inefficient vehicles on the road today are coincidently the best sellers.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
The problem is nobody is buying full electric. The only people buying full electric are people who would have bought a Prius anyway.
Electric is happening fast as in growth (going from 1.5% to 2%). When you look at the big picture, EVs and hybrids still seem to have very limited appeal. Currently, the most inefficient vehicles on the road today are coincidently the best sellers.
it probably depends where you live and what you pay for gasoline. Here in California I see tons of Teslas daily, plus lots of Bolts, the BMW electric, Fiat electric etc. Gas is close to $3.50 a gallon here.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
it probably depends where you live and what you pay for gasoline. Here in California I see tons of Teslas daily, plus lots of Bolts, the BMW electric, Fiat electric etc. Gas is close to $3.50 a gallon here.
Makes sense. California alone makes up almost half of all EV sales in America. However hybrid sales are declining and all of the EV’s in California only number around 500,000 which is a very small market share to split between mulitiple manufacturers.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
i would buy a full electric.. i would buy a Rivan Ute right now if i could. but i in Australia, so i got years before a Rivan arrives and maybe even longer for the larger brands to get their sparks together. good to see the discussion of ' it was always gunna happen' and ford and ram both saying more coming.
i saw Amazon has chucked $$ at Rivan.. good to see..

Come on Jeep.. bring on the leccy wrangler

Sponsored

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I am not too much worried about weird Jeep, I am so worried about cost. If it follow the renegade s approach of short range phev route, it will not change the car too much.

But cost will be bigger prom. A sahara without too much option can easily match cost of a model 3, now.
Heck, any phev can easily ask for 10k$ than gasoline counter part.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I am not too much worried about weird Jeep, I am so worried about cost. If it follow the renegade s approach of short range phev route, it will not change the car too much.

But cost will be bigger prom. A sahara without too much option can easily match cost of a model 3, now.
Heck, any phev can easily ask for 10k$ than gasoline counter part.
Not necessarily. The PHEV Pacifica only make up 5% of Pacifica sales despite being the same price and the tax credit and appealing to a more practical customer base.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
If the price difference is $10k then I wouldn’t be buying it because I’ll never recooparate that in fuel savings and doubt the resale would be higher.

Speaking of resale, if the lease is higher less the price increase for similarly equipped then that tells you FCA not banking on it holding value. I also need it in Rubicon trim. That’s not negotiable.

Last edited:

iwishiwereadinosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
I doubt a hybrid would be available for the Rubicon or MOAB. Doesn't make much sense for someone to want the fuel efficiency of a hybrid and then have big, inefficient tires. I would imagine Jeep would try and squeeze every MPG they can out of a hybrid. A Hybrid Wrangler is already going to have limited appeal, Jeep will probably just streamline them into one trim for build efficiency.
I live in a big city. There's zero chance I'm taking a $50k car off roading. The Jeep JL is just not cheap enough to fuck around with. Also, not doing that with a battery pack. The only reason the buy this is mileage and it really makes sense in cities. 99% of my days I drive less than 30 miles. If I could never pay for gas again...wow.

Also, I can't stand the Rubicon styling. Even the word is awful. If I had a Rubicon the first thing I'd do is take the ugly AF stickers off of the hood.

I hope the exact opposite. I think this should be a Sahara that's designed for the city. I want the Wrangler styling and removable roof, 4wd for snow, and great gas mileage. That's it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The transportation industry is dropping hybrids like hot potatoes in favor of full electric. The torque offered by an all electric Jeep would be phenomenal, but range (measure in miles onroad or hours off road) is the achilles heal for now. We may or may not want it but electric is happening, and happening fast!!
For city commuting range is a non issue; either you charge at work or you have the range to get to/from and charge overnight at home.

But for long distance and off-road range is a really big limiting factor. Eventually battery tech will catch up but it's going to be awhile.

Notice how all the leaders are focusing on large capacity batteries and much faster recharging mechanisms? That tells me there is nothing on the 3 to 5 year horizon that will 3x the capacity/range which is what needs to happen to make electric a complete no-brainer.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I live in a big city. There's zero chance I'm taking a $50k car off roading. The Jeep JL is just not cheap enough to fuck around with. Also, not doing that with a battery pack. The only reason the buy this is mileage and it really makes sense in cities. 99% of my days I drive less than 30 miles. If I could never pay for gas again...wow.

Also, I can't stand the Rubicon styling. Even the word is awful. If I had a Rubicon the first thing I'd do is take the ugly AF stickers off of the hood.

I hope the exact opposite. I think this should be a Sahara that's designed for the city. I want the Wrangler styling and removable roof, 4wd for snow, and great gas mileage. That's it.
Buy a Prius as clearly a Jeep isn't what you're really after.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
Makes sense. California alone makes up almost half of all EV sales in America. However hybrid sales are declining and all of the EV’s in California only number around 500,000 which is a very small market share to split between mulitiple manufacturers.
The giant elephant in the room is Europe and China, not California. That is the very large market and that is driving this.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
If the price difference is $10k then I wouldn’t be buying it because I’ll never recooparate that in fuel savings and doubt the resale would be higher.

Speaking of resale, if the lease is higher less the price increase for similarly equipped then that tells you FCA not banking on it holding value. I also need it in Rubicon trim. That’s not negotiable.
The resale value is going to depend on gas prices at the time of resale and the status of the incentives.

If gas tips over $4/gallon again, folks that want a Wrangler will look hard at the hybrid and that will drive resale values up. If you live in a city, it is likely that you'd hardly ever visit a gas station as the range would likely get you to work and back without activating the engine and that would cut a significant amount of fuel costs from the budget. 30 miles is at least 1.5 gallons of gas, and likely 2 gallons of gas, so $4.50 - $6.00/day in fuel savings at the cost of perhaps $.25 of electricity. That adds up.

The resale value will also spike once the plug in hybrid incentives expire because that will make the price of new ones significantly ($4,000 - $5,000, depending on the size of battery FCA uses) higher than they were before the incentive expired.

In any case, 30 miles is enough range for the majority of owners to get to work and back and use no fuel or barely use any fuel.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance

Wouldn’t exactly be free. Electricity at home cost something.

For example, 16 kw battery at $0.10 per kw would cost $1.60 to go 30 miles. Cheaper than gas but not free. Why I’d love to see an all electric version housing a 100 kw or better. Imagine filling the tank on just $16. Nice!!!

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The resale value is going to depend on gas prices at the time of resale and the status of the incentives.

If gas tips over $4/gallon again, folks that want a Wrangler will look hard at the hybrid and that will drive resale values up. If you live in a city, it is likely that you'd hardly ever visit a gas station as the range would likely get you to work and back without activating the engine and that would cut a significant amount of fuel costs from the budget. 30 miles is at least 1.5 gallons of gas, and likely 2 gallons of gas, so $4.50 - $6.00/day in fuel savings at the cost of perhaps $.25 of electricity. That adds up.

The resale value will also spike once the plug in hybrid incentives expire because that will make the price of new ones significantly ($4,000 - $5,000, depending on the size of battery FCA uses) higher than they were before the incentive expired.

In any case, 30 miles is enough range for the majority of owners to get to work and back and use no fuel or barely use any fuel.
16 kw battery going to cost more than $0.25 but I get your point. Still not spending $10k extra for 30 electric only miles.

We need a Rivian like solution but with lots of under armor to protect that battery. Catching fire isn’t my thing.
Sponsored