First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
One thing that has been a constant here, and fuel prices exacerbate it, is that there are quite a few owners who have stretched themselves thin just to have a Wrangler. Then they start on the slippery slope of mods. I'm seeing more and more threads about people wanting to mod on the cheap. Eventually these owners will (and always have) ended up leaving. The price of gas is just accelerating it.

On a side note, if you don't have the money to mod properly, don't do it. Look at all the 2nd, 3rd owner JKs out there chopped to hell with cheap crap all over them.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Deals all over the place, have been for long time. Not sure what this thread is about. People don't buy Wranglers with MPG in mind anyway. Salesmen sounds like a quack. Jeep sales have not slowed down.
You are right, people don't buy Wranglers with MPG in mind. They buy something else if MPG is on their mind. And that's probably why the OP's sales guy is going to another brand. Jeep doesn't have any options that are viable for someone that cares about gas. Sure, most on this forum don't care, but there are posts here about people that are thinking about selling due to gas prices.

OP
OP
Sponge

Sponge

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7 & 22 - Grand Cherokee L
One thing that has been a constant here, and fuel prices exacerbate it, is that there are quite a few owners who have stretched themselves thin just to have a Wrangler. Then they start on the slippery slope of mods. I'm seeing more and more threads about people wanting to mod on the cheap. Eventually these owners will (and always have) end up leaving. The price of gas is just accelerating it.

On a side note, if you don't have the money to mod properly, don't do it. Look at all the 2nd, 3rd owner JKs out there chopped ro hell with cheap crap all over them.
Agreed - planned to get my daughter a LJ or JK - JK’s are worse off on cheap mods than TJ’s, and just terribly done.

Still might get her a LJ - key is finding one with no rust. But when you get over $20K for a 15+ year old Jeep a new one sounds awful appealing…at least to my wife 😂

Deleted member 59498

You are right, people don't buy Wranglers with MPG in mind. They buy something else if MPG is on their mind. And that's probably why the OP's sales guy is going to another brand. Jeep doesn't have any options that are viable for someone that cares about gas. Sure, most on this forum don't care, but there are posts here about people that are thinking about selling due to gas prices.
Well if gas price was the difference between buying a Wrangler or a Corolla they are far behind the ball. 30k dollars in savings is a major difference far more than gas prices. A truly frugal person would never have a Jeep Wrangler on their list to start with. There are 4 to 6 Wranglers new on the lot or in transit in my area between 3 dealers. They are sold almost always while in transit. Call a dealer about a Jeep advertised it will be almost always gone. My dealer doesn't have a single one not even in transit they had 7 on the way 3 weeks ago all gone before they get there. Even the JT's are gone before they arrive.

I have never had a salesmen more than once. They come and go often, a few stay for a long time but I never had one that did. I can see him leaving because there are no cars on the lot to sell.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Well if gas price was the difference between buying a Wrangler or a Corolla they are far behind the ball. 30k dollars in savings is a major difference far more than gas prices. A truly frugal person would never have a Jeep Wrangler on their list to start with. There are 4 to 6 Wranglers new on the lot or in transit in my area between 3 dealers. They are sold almost always while in transit. Call a dealer about a Jeep advertised it will be almost always gone. My dealer doesn't have a single one not even in transit they had 7 on the way 3 weeks ago all gone before they get there. Even the JT's are gone before they arrive.

I have never had a salesmen more than once. They come and go often, a few stay for a long time but I never had one that did. I can see him leaving because there are no cars on the lot to sell.
Who the hell, in the real world, actually keeps up on their local Jeep dealers inventory, unless they are looking to buy? And you have the time to keep up on 3 dealers? What am I doing wrong?

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Went in to price a Wrangler Willy's JL for my daughter...and still only selling at sticker.

My salesman who I bought my '22 WL off of said he is leaving to sell Hyundai's next month...

Traffic has completely died for them - he said lack of good MPG is killing them. He has sold Jeep's for quite a while.

This is a very high volume dealer so if he is feeling it the smaller ones have to be worse off.

$5.49+ per gallon these dealers gouging over sticker are going to get what they deserve soon...
Inflation and interest rate hikes will kill auto sales. The bottom is about to fall off. He may sell more Hyundai's but I doubt that will last for too long. that will die as well.

Deleted member 59498

Who the hell, in the real world, actually keeps up on their local Jeep dealers inventory, unless they are looking to buy? And you have the time to keep up on 3 dealers? What am I doing wrong?
Hobby, curiosity to see what is happening. I do actually live in the real world, at least I think I do. I mean I could be a bot I guess. Who knows, who cares what I do all day.

But I keep up with a lot of things jeep and others also, industry stories, sales, new stuff they are working on. Oh and the forums. You never look to see what your local dealers are selling? Websites are free to visit.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Yes you are correct - that is exactly what I meant.

I have 4 Jeep dealers within 15 miles of me - they will be back at the price war again soon. One is now publishing Gladiators at a discount...Wranglers will be soon.

The Waggoneers are really piling up and are all 10%+ off published deals
yup, as gas prices stay around $5/gal and interest rates climb close to 10% for APR financing, watch those $80K-$100K Wagoneers with Hemi's getting 12mpg pile up on dealer lots. If I were in the market for a family SUV, I'd wait until there is $30K sitting on the hood and I can pick one up. But then again, nothing is guaranteed and people won't make large purchases if they are worried about the economy and their jobs.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Ah but the debate was fuel costs causing declining sales lol.
If you’re talking the cost of the vehicle that’s a different conversation for sure and I would get that. Although with all the tax credits it’s a lot less than 20k more. I was reading a few posts here where it was more like 5k, not sure on the exact figures.
Hey I have no problem being wrong, just ask my wife lol.
This thing about the 4XE and how much more it costs has been the subject of it's own thread or two. It all depends how you look at it. The issue is the 4XE comes on the higher trim levels and forces you to take options you don't have to take on the lower trim levels so in that case, it could be a LOT more. However, if you compare a 4xe on par with another Rubicon or Sahara (or higher) and add the options to the non-4xe that the 4xe forces you to take, THEN you take out the $7500, they're about the SAME price or within a few hundred either side. When they sell enough of them the $7500 will be phased out and THAT is where we'll see how well the "battery meets the road."

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

yup, as gas prices stay around $5/gal and interest rates climb close to 10% for APR financing, watch those $80K-$100K Wagoneers with Hemi's getting 12mpg pile up on dealer lots. If I were in the market for a family SUV, I'd wait until there is $30K sitting on the hood and I can pick one up. But then again, nothing is guaranteed and people won't make large purchases if they are worried about the economy and their jobs.
Yeah I never even thought about interest, my loan I got is an entire point higher now in just 4 months or so.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Agreed - planned to get my daughter a LJ or JK - JK’s are worse off on cheap mods than TJ’s, and just terribly done.

Still might get her a LJ - key is finding one with no rust. But when you get over $20K for a 15+ year old Jeep a new one sounds awful appealing…at least to my wife 😂
Look down here in Texas. Many are sub $20k and in nice condition. Plus, no rust.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/d/league-city-rare-lj-jeep-wrangler/7509239285.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/d/liberty-hill-2005-jeep-wrangler/7500250949.html

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes you are correct - that is exactly what I meant.

I have 4 Jeep dealers within 15 miles of me - they will be back at the price war again soon. One is now publishing Gladiators at a discount...Wranglers will be soon.

The Waggoneers are really piling up and are all 10%+ off published deals
Every dealer in Lake County is pretty awful on pricing, even in more favorable conditions. Liberty, Gurnee, Ray, etc. I went to Hawk in Forest Park and got a great deal a couple years ago on an order. Look outside the immediate radius. Also look at some of the forum advertisements and buy a one-way ticket and road trip in your new Jeep (or ship it back home!).

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP
Sponge

Sponge

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ-7 & 22 - Grand Cherokee L
That LJ Rubicon seems like a great deal.
Yeah I stalk his website/dealership already - he has had nothing but automatics lately. Looking for a manual - keep the phone out of her hand when driving...
Sponsored