Dealership vs Owner...loose steering issue

Paul Hess

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Sahara
Yes, I've read the Star Case and did notice the notation to dealerships to NOT adjust the steering box. However other members have had luck with dealers doing the adjustment with positive results as well as Jeep Informent doing the same with positive results. I just don't seem to understand why it can't be completed. I'm no mechanic by any means, but if this is giving a tighter response to steering, what negative effects is it doing? If the bigger picture isn't a mechanical issue but more of a cost issue for FCA without being a critical safety issue, that's sad. I have had multiple Wranglers, both stock and custom, and this "play" in the steering without response from the tires isn't normal. And for the dealership to charge me for diagnostic tests because they couldn't find anything "wrong" with their tests is also a mistreatment to customers loyal to the Jeep brand.
My story. Hope it helps.

I definitely feel for everyone that has this issue. We purchased our jeep in September and have been dealing with loose steering from day one. It's been to the dealer mutiple times. Finally I met the lead service manager and showed him the play in the steering wheel compared to the wheels moving. I had 4" from center left or right. They moved the adjustment nut and that helped. But only for a while. Finally I was fed up and here's how I got it resolved. 1. Called jeep cares and started a case. They returned my call and I explained the problem. They informed me they would pressure the dealer to fix the issue. 2. Called the dealer and set up an appointment. I then called my jeep cares rep and she called the dealer to let them know they had a case and would follow it through to completion. 3. Dropped off the jeep and told them I would not pick it up until I know they replaced the box. One day later they called and said Star told them the 1/4 turn in adjustment was a no no and they were advised to reset to factory settings and do a cpu flash. I said nope not good enough. I then emailed them the case study posted on this site and said here is the fix with no exception and the jeep is staying there until it is fixed. They emailed Star my email and within a few minutes Star sent an exact procedure for fix. I picked it up Wed and took it on a long trip last night and this morning. Around town, perfect; highway even more tight. I can let go of the steering for 10 plus seconds at 75 mph and it stays straight. Before I couldn't even look down at the radio without crossing lanes. The steering box is the fix. Jeeps cares has been daily following the procedure and has constantly called the dealer. My dealer here in Lancaster PA has a fix if anyone is close. Mine is the first one they have got pressed through but now know how to proceed. As soon as my dealer send me the case study I will post it. Hope this helps and be patient it is worth it.
Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So there is a TSB for the steering stabilizer aka damper, and there were several threads addressing the issue.

I have 16k miles on my JLUR. Never had a steering box issue but had steering oscillation at around 12k miles when hitting potholes at speeds as low as 35 mph.

Dealer installed updated damper today. I am on the road but my wife picked it up today and said it was fine.

If you moved up to 35’s try an aftermarket stabilizer or get the dealer to replace your with the upgraded part. This should fix your steering shimmy.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Calling out for help to any other JL owners who have had success dealing with the dealership and remedying the loose steering issue. I just dropped off my Rubicon, 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger lift with 38" Milestar Patagonia tires. I dont have any steering upgrades, all still factory components including the stabilizer.

I've read all the past posts and watched YouTube till I was red in the eyes concerning the play in the steering. I can move my steering wheel almost 2 inches from center, both left and right, without any response from my wheels and still be traveling straight. And just recently, starting to experience minor death wobble when hitting a hole with either left or right front tire. I noticed when I drop my tire PSI from 24 (daily driving setting) to 18, the death wobble doesnt occur.

I've brought these concerns to the dealership and right off the bat they bring to my attention the mods from stock (lift and tires) may be the cause and if found to be causing the issue...not covered under warranty. I would be forced to pay a $140 diagnostic fee if that was the case. I even had the service manager ride with me to notice the play in the steering wheel. Keep in mind that this is the same dealership that I had to educate about the difference in oil quantity of the 3.6 engine in the JK vs the JL.

My question....anyone have success with their dealership in fixing this issue and what do I need to tell my dealership for them to do the same thing?
Dude youre running 38’s on 3.5” with stock steering not even flipped the drag. What did you think was going to happen? You thought the dealership was going to honor the warranty?

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Falcon 2.2 stabilizer and had my alignment re-checked. My castor was off the charts at a 9. So I had the castor set to 6, added the aftermarket stabilizer and same route every day, every hole, no more shimmy from the steering wheel. A drag link flip is in the future, but all my steering issues are fixed for now.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I installed a Falcon 2.2 stabilizer and had my alignment re-checked. My castor was off the charts at a 9. So I had the castor set to 6, added the aftermarket stabilizer and same route every day, every hole, no more shimmy from the steering wheel. A drag link flip is in the future, but all my steering issues are fixed for now.
Dang you must be 8k into that thing by now... whos the genius who set your caster to 9deg? Thats a pretty big mistake. Do you have uppers and lowers up front?

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Dang you must be 8k into that thing by now... whos the genius who set your caster to 9deg? Thats a pretty big mistake. Do you have uppers and lowers up front?
That's what I was thinking! When I first read his problem that it just needed a slight adjustment but that is crazy off. I'd bet when they were cranking down the jam nuts they didnt have it good and secure and then didnt even bother to check it when it was done because that is waaayyyy off. I believe metal cloak arms are preset from the factory to their specs?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
That's what I was thinking! When I first read his problem that it just needed a slight adjustment but that is crazy off. I'd bet when they were cranking down the jam nuts they didnt have it good and secure and then didnt even bother to check it when it was done because that is waaayyyy off. I believe metal cloak arms are preset from the factory to their specs?
They are but the jam nut isnt tigtened so what usually happens is you spin them acouple times just from unpacking... best to measure before installing. Its obvious this is this cats first jeep build etc... you can just tell by the expectation and the 20” rims... edit: i doubt it was 9 degrees that thing would be very reluctant to steer at 9degress at 70 mph.

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They are but the jam nut isnt tigtened so what usually happens is you spin them acouple times just from unpacking... best to measure before installing. Its obvious this is this cats first jeep build etc... you can just tell by the expectation and the 20” rims... edit: i doubt it was 9 degrees that thing would be very reluctant to steer at 9degress at 70 mph.
Yes, my first JL. Had a 2012 JK prior with 4" Old Man Emu kit on 35s. Here is the copy of my alignment specs before/after. The shop that installed my metalcloak arms said they were installed to specs but I never measured after it was installed. There isnt any need to bash me and throw insults. I trusted the shop installed the kit correctly but after the alignment check from another vendor, its obvious something wasnt correct. And 8K??? Really??? Dude, its a $250 stabilizer. Where would you get 8K from.

20181221_160241.jpg

JLRubi111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, YJ, JK, JL
Calling out for help to any other JL owners who have had success dealing with the dealership and remedying the loose steering issue. I just dropped off my Rubicon, 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger lift with 38" Milestar Patagonia tires. I dont have any steering upgrades, all still factory components including the stabilizer.

I've read all the past posts and watched YouTube till I was red in the eyes concerning the play in the steering. I can move my steering wheel almost 2 inches from center, both left and right, without any response from my wheels and still be traveling straight. And just recently, starting to experience minor death wobble when hitting a hole with either left or right front tire. I noticed when I drop my tire PSI from 24 (daily driving setting) to 18, the death wobble doesnt occur.

I've brought these concerns to the dealership and right off the bat they bring to my attention the mods from stock (lift and tires) may be the cause and if found to be causing the issue...not covered under warranty. I would be forced to pay a $140 diagnostic fee if that was the case. I even had the service manager ride with me to notice the play in the steering wheel. Keep in mind that this is the same dealership that I had to educate about the difference in oil quantity of the 3.6 engine in the JK vs the JL.

My question....anyone have success with their dealership in fixing this issue and what do I need to tell my dealership for them to do the same thing?
good luck mine is all stock dealer and FCA customer care still telling me there is no problem, I am seeking an attorney maybe start a class action lawsuit to open FCA eyes that there IS a STEERING PROBLEM mean time I will post results
Sponsored