Dealership replaced steering box with the old part under 08-074-20

gabster

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Moab
Jeepcares contacted the service manager at the dealership and they admitted that it was simply negligence to read the part numbers on the TSB. Jeepcares and the manager are getting the part expedited and it should be here by tomorrow or Friday.
they did the exact same thing to me, went to the dealer and installed the old part, sounds more like this process is on purpose to see what customer “falls” for it, hope this is not something advised by jeep directly.. dealer had the TSB with the correct part number stapled to my invoice, yet they deliberately installed the wrong part, either way i did contact jeep cares here and open a case with them. but i wasn’t advised it can be expedited, Would you mind sharing if they really did get this expedited for you ? i was told i have to wait 4 months...
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
sounds more like this process is on purpose to see what customer “falls” for it
Why would they ever do that? Are you suggesting that they went to the trouble of installing the wrong part, or simply did nothing and then claimed to have changed it? Seems like a stretch.

gabster

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Moab
Why would they ever do that? Are you suggesting that they went to the trouble of installing the wrong part, or simply did nothing and then claimed to have changed it? Seems like a stretch.
availability of the old part compared to the new one. They can move you in and out much faster by installing the old part (maybe even in stock) and hope the customer doesn’t notice? of course this is my speculation, i don’t have proof of this, but it’s the only logical explanation i can find about this . they had a sheet of paper(TSB) in front of them with the part number that needs to be ordered, yet the wrong one gets installed? and not only that, the service manager had originally told me in my face the part would take months to get, yet they called me within a week to get it installed. How does that sound to you?

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
I am tired on going to my dealer with the same issue of extremely loose steering. THey have change parts, they said it is ok now, but the jeep drives exactly the same as and old tractor. Don´t know what else to do.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
"Your" box is probably in someone else's jeep.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I am tired on going to my dealer with the same issue of extremely loose steering. THey have change parts, they said it is ok now, but the jeep drives exactly the same as and old tractor. Don´t know what else to do.
I had the same problem with my 2019 Rubicon only 1500 miles on it. I looked at more then I drove it do to the steering issue . I had the new gearbox installed it was worst then when I brought it in the steering wheel was off centered at 2 O'clock with more play . I was pissed . I started researching websites and ran across a Jeep technician that had installed quite a few gear boxes. This he what he said word for word his name (Tony Sargent ) you have to update the (EPS) electric power steering module as well as check for 2 sales codes . If the codes are present we have to remove them from the build configuration . Then do a restore vehicle configuration with or scan tool to update the BCM with the changes . I made another appt went in showed this to my Technician he went to the parts Dept got the (TSB) service bulletin the 2nd page had the procedure to update and followed it. I left there very happy it drives like a passenger car no play in the steering wheel and it's dead center . I suggest you make another appt and show your Tech this hopefully he can get yours dialed in too .

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm seriously considering just tightening my AE gear. I don't like the dead spot but am positive I can remedy that with a slight adjustment. Hearing all of the dealer horror stories I really don't feel like dealing with them.

I feel bad for you 18/19 year owners who've had to deal with bad steering for years.
2018 JLUS owner here... never had a steering problem at all. Probably just jinxed myself though.

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
I had the same problem with my 2019 Rubicon only 1500 miles on it. I looked at more then I drove it do to the steering issue . I had the new gearbox installed it was worst then when I brought it in the steering wheel was off centered at 2 O'clock with more play . I was pissed . I started researching websites and ran across a Jeep technician that had installed quite a few gear boxes. This he what he said word for word his name (Tony Sargent ) you have to update the (EPS) electric power steering module as well as check for 2 sales codes . If the codes are present we have to remove them from the build configuration . Then do a restore vehicle configuration with or scan tool to update the BCM with the changes . I made another appt went in showed this to my Technician he went to the parts Dept got the (TSB) service bulletin the 2nd page had the procedure to update and followed it. I left there very happy it drives like a passenger car no play in the steering wheel and it's dead center . I suggest you make another appt and show your Tech this hopefully he can get yours dialed in too .
Congratulations. This is my dream to drive it as a passenger car with no play. Now, how much it costed to you? This was all aftermarket right?

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
Congratulations. This is my dream to drive it as a passenger car with no play. Now, how much it costed to you? This was all aftermarket right?
All OEM parts from the TSB 8-10-20 done at the Dealership under warranty 0 cost .

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

You guys are completely losing me at the part where I am supposed to check the dealers work. I take it to the dealer because the work is supposedly a higher level of quality. It says that right there on the signs. That is why I am paying a premium. If I have to check their work, then why am I taking it in to the dealer? Tesla does not make me do this. Mercedes does not make me do this. These are not low margin vehicles. Is FCA now engaging in a take the money and run operations? @JeepCares, you have some SERIOUS work to do with your brand here.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You guys are completely losing me at the part where I am supposed to check the dealers work. I take it to the dealer because the work is supposedly a higher level of quality. It says that right there on the signs. That is why I am paying a premium. If I have to check their work, then why am I taking it in to the dealer? Tesla does not make me do this. Mercedes does not make me do this. These are not low margin vehicles. Is FCA now engaging in a take the money and run operations? @JeepCares, you have some SERIOUS work to do with your brand here.
I am a proud American, but our work ethic has slipped in the last 50 years. Many workers don't take pride in their work product. I wish I could lay this solely on FCA, but the issue is widespread.

I just picked a new JLURD a few weeks ago. Look at the attached image and tell me that this doesn't sum up the pride-in-your-work issue in one extremely small example. How hard would it be to do this right? [not to mention the fact that I requested "no stickers"]

BTW: my dealer experience with Earnhardt was otherwise fabulous; including price.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealership replaced steering box with the old part under 08-074-20 IMG_0363

Last edited:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am a proud American, but our work ethic has slipped in the last 50 years. Many workers don't take pride in their work product. I wish I could lay this solely on FCA, but the issue is widespread.

I just picked a new JLURD a few weeks ago. Look at the attached image and tell me that this doesn't sum up the pride-in-your-work issue in one extremely small example. How hard would it be to do this right? [not to mention the fact that I requested "no stickers"]

BTW: my dealer experience with Earnhardt was otherwise fabulous; including price.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealership replaced steering box with the old part under 08-074-20 IMG_0363
That's sad, complete no give a shit is obvious .
Sponsored