Dealership replaced steering box with the old part under 08-074-20

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Went back today and was told my advisor would contact me Monday to explain why I got the old part number. So I explained why next time I would get the correct one. And they wonder why people are so hesitant to allow the dealers to work on our stuff. A tech bulletin in clear English can’t be followed.
"Explain to you", like they did it on purpose and aren't just f$%kups?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Everyone,

We are saddened to learn that some dealers have installed incorrect steering boxes, and we understand how frustrated you must be. If this happens, please be sure to contact us so that we can assist with having the issue remedied. If you would like to have a case escalated before going to the dealer, we are happy to assist. Please send us a PM at any time.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
And it keeps getting worse.

these boards report At least 5 boxes incorrectly ordered/installed and there are at least 2 JT owners fuming because their dealer installed a new Box, just not the one for the JT but rather for either the JLU or the JL.

that move us up to 7.

Im waiting for my parts, I just asked the dealership to confirm the new box is what is on order.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I'm seriously considering just tightening my AE gear. I don't like the dead spot but am positive I can remedy that with a slight adjustment. Hearing all of the dealer horror stories I really don't feel like dealing with them.

I feel bad for you 18/19 year owners who've had to deal with bad steering for years.
Based on my experience this works for some, but not all. My gearbox had play that was not in the sector gear joint. Mine seemed to be in the spool valve/torque sensor region. You could lock-up the gear mesh...and still have play. Think it just depends.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm seriously considering just tightening my AE gear. I don't like the dead spot but am positive I can remedy that with a slight adjustment. Hearing all of the dealer horror stories I really don't feel like dealing with them.

I feel bad for you 18/19 year owners who've had to deal with bad steering for years.
If Jeep is offering what by all accounts is a great solution, why not give it a try? We humans complain bitterly when wronged (myself included) but largely stay totally mum if treated well. You may be listening to the vocal minority and will be walking away from the solution early JL owners have been waiting for.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my experience this works for some, but not all. My gearbox had play that was not in the sector gear joint. Mine seemed to be in the spool valve/torque sensor region. You could lock-up the gear mesh...and still have play. Think it just depends.
Oh wow... yeah mine's def not that bad. Now that you explain it that way I completely understand why people were complaining of massive wander and describing it like 'driving with a game controller'.

I'll get mine into the dealer next month. I still need to address the clutch recall and a few other little things.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Here is a new one for you guys. I went in and got the new steering box approved. Dealer ordered the part and after 3 weeks it finally arrived. I dropped my Jeep off and had them show me the actual part that was going to be installed. I was hoping to avoid the problems other people have had on this forum.

So they get it installed and tell me it's ready for pickup. I reviewed all of their paperwork and saw that the ordered the correct part ($897 BTW) and that matched what I saw before when I dropped my Jeep off. I get out to the vehicle and do a visual inspection and $#@%! It's the wrong part. Somehow the tech was given the correct part and then switched it out for the aluminum -AE version. I really don't understand how that happens.

The Service Manager was a shocked as well. Probably because now they have to pay for the whole process to be done again. Fortunately they are fixing it, but it's more time and frustration. Not to mention there was fluid all over the place. And like others, they reduced my tire pressure to make it seem like the steering issue was resolved.

Moral of the story: Check every bit of work that your dealer does for this TSB. If I had a way to check the software flash, I would. But I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Good luck to all of you still waiting to have this done!

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Here is a new one for you guys. I went in and got the new steering box approved. Dealer ordered the part and after 3 weeks it finally arrived. I dropped my Jeep off and had them show me the actual part that was going to be installed. I was hoping to avoid the problems other people have had on this forum.

So they get it installed and tell me it's ready for pickup. I reviewed all of their paperwork and saw that the ordered the correct part ($897 BTW) and that matched what I saw before when I dropped my Jeep off. I get out to the vehicle and do a visual inspection and $#@%! It's the wrong part. Somehow the tech was given the correct part and then switched it out for the aluminum -AE version. I really don't understand how that happens.

The Service Manager was a shocked as well. Probably because now they have to pay for the whole process to be done again. Fortunately they are fixing it, but it's more time and frustration. Not to mention there was fluid all over the place. And like others, they reduced my tire pressure to make it seem like the steering issue was resolved.

Moral of the story: Check every bit of work that your dealer does for this TSB. If I had a way to check the software flash, I would. But I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Good luck to all of you still waiting to have this done!
Unbelievable!!! Makes me wonder if they were trying the ol' bait and switch. Make you think they 'fixed' it and make an extra $900 down the line somewhere...

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unbelievable!!! Makes me wonder if they were trying the ol' bait and switch. Make you think they 'fixed' it and make an extra $900 down the line somewhere...
Yeah. It was really strange. Hopefully when I pick up on Friday everything is in order. I also told them they needed to clean up their mess under my hood.

I swear...some people just don't take pride in their work.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
They just installed the new steering box. It is much tighter! Except the steering wheel is sideways now, like 4o clock to go straight. Turned right around and checked it back in
Same thing with mine I'm taking it back in tomorrow and find out why the steering wheel is at 2 oclock

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah. It was really strange. Hopefully when I pick up on Friday everything is in order. I also told them they needed to clean up their mess under my hood.

I swear...some people just don't take pride in their work.
Got the right box put in (after they previously ordered a 4dr box for my 2dr), but tech only snugged the box to the frame (probably 30-40 ft. lbs) rather than correctly torquing to 99 ft lbs :(

Haven't confirmed Pitman nut torque yet, or the track bar and I-shaft, but will this weekend.

Oh, and the power steering cap was left off the reservoir laying to the side of the motor :(

I never assume a job was done properly, that's why I always DIY unless there's ABSOLUTELY no alternative or it's warranty type work.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the right box put in (after they previously ordered a 4dr box for my 2dr), but tech only snugged the box to the frame (probably 30-40 ft. lbs) rather than correctly torquing to 99 ft lbs :(

Haven't confirmed Pitman nut torque yet, or the track bar and I-shaft, but will this weekend.

Oh, and the power steering cap was left off the reservoir laying to the side of the motor :(

I never assume a job was done properly, that's why I always DIY unless there's ABSOLUTELY no alternative or it's warranty type work.
Yes! The struggle is real. I picked up my Jeep yesterday. At least they got the right part on. But I pulled out of the parking lot exit and then right back into the entrance. Like other people here, they forgot to realign the steering wheel. It was a quick fix, but should not have happened.

I'm going to follow your advice and check the torque on the bolts this weekend. Good idea.

And the good news is the steering does feel a lot better. I would say a little on the heavy side, but better than wandering around everywhere.

I still wish I could check to make sure they did the software update correctly. Confidence is low at this point.
Sponsored