Dealership replaced steering box with the old part under 08-074-20

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Went back today and was told my advisor would contact me Monday to explain why I got the old part number. So I explained why next time I would get the correct one. And they wonder why people are so hesitant to allow the dealers to work on our stuff. A tech bulletin in clear English can’t be followed.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If you initiated the repair before the warranty expired, which you did, you should be fine. The screw up was on the dealership.
That’s what they assure me. We’ll see. At this point, I’m just laughing about it. The good news is, the -AE steering box drives fantastic. Confirms that the box was my problem.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Why would jeep still be selling/sending out the defective aluminum box ? The aluminum box part number should supersede to the new updated steel box that’s the real problem. Having two steering boxes with active part numbers that fit same vehicle.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
My dealership just did the same thing. -AE steering gear box and my Jeep is at 35800 miles. If I take it for the weekend, it will be out of warranty. Those sly bastards.
And I thought I was bad for taking mine in a 35300. Have them document your mileage on your first visit when they order the parts. Mine dealer was able to order the parts and install the next day.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
And I thought I was bad for taking mine in a 35300. Have them document your mileage on your first visit when they order the parts. Mine dealer was able to order the parts and install the next day.
They’ve had my Jeep for 3 weeks. This is the second time they screwed it up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AgentWolf

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Another interesting thing I noticed is that when I got my Jeep back my tires were down to 32psi. They were at 37-38 when I dropped it off. Now I can’t prove it but I’m fairly certain they may have aired them down to improve the quality of steering/wonder.

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Where is the steering box located? can someone please show me on a diagram.

Null

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Went back today and was told my advisor would contact me Monday to explain why I got the old part number. So I explained why next time I would get the correct one. And they wonder why people are so hesitant to allow the dealers to work on our stuff. A tech bulletin in clear English can’t be followed.
Literally my worst nightmare. That and them breaking something else while fixing the part I brought it in for.

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I bought my JLUS from Rairdon's - very happy with the price and experience. But I have not had to take it back there for any work (take both my Jeeps to Seattle CDJR on Aurora for basic servicing). Good to know, I will steer clear!

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Of course the dealership closed as soon as I got home. I opened a case with Jeep cares to at least get that ball rolling if this is going to turn into another battle.
While this is a (super) dumb mistake, don't you think that you were a little quick on the trigger with Jeep Cares? It seems like you escalated before you even gave the dealer a chance to react. Jeep Cares is a great asset here, but only if we use them judiciously. Otherwise, they may settle into a "boy who cried wolf" pattern, and won't be there when we really need them for issues that can't be resolved with the dealer.

BTW, I just noticed your screen name. Didn't see that when I first wrote this. :)

OP
OP
AgentWolf

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
While this is a (super) dumb mistake, don't you think that you were a little quick on the trigger with Jeep Cares? It seems like you escalated before you even gave the dealer a chance to react. Jeep Cares is a great asset here, but only if we use them judiciously. Otherwise, they may settle into a "boy who cried wolf" pattern, and won't be there when we really need them for issues that can't be resolved with the dealer.

BTW, I just noticed your screen name. Didn't see that when I first wrote this. :)
After a month of waiting and battling there’s not much more fighting I care to do. Plus the case manager was able to overnight the part and get it installed while noting the bad track record of this dealership. I believe I made the right call or I still wouldn’t have my Jeep back.

nwhunter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport
We took our 2018 jlu in for this repair today. Got home and they had called and the new box had not came in and won't be in until Thursday. Hope we get the correct one.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what they assure me. We’ll see. At this point, I’m just laughing about it. The good news is, the -AE steering box drives fantastic. Confirms that the box was my problem.
I'm seriously considering just tightening my AE gear. I don't like the dead spot but am positive I can remedy that with a slight adjustment. Hearing all of the dealer horror stories I really don't feel like dealing with them.

I feel bad for you 18/19 year owners who've had to deal with bad steering for years.
Sponsored