Sponsored

Dealership Refusing to cover work under warranty.

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
So I don't drive my jeeps like I use to. I have two kids and it is my daily driver. I picked up a Brand new JLU Rubicon back in 2018. About a year after having the vehicle, I got into an auto accident. The vehicle was completely repaired and no issues ever came up. I now have an issue where multiple lights came on at the same time. I have (ABS, electronic stability control not working, 4x4 unavailable/ not working, axle locker needs service, park sense not available, and was also wanting them to address the rear seat latches that you pull to put the rear seat down had broken off completely with normal use. I got a call from the dealership saying that the wires appeared damaged and asked if I took it offroad or anything. I told them I do not do that anymore, I just mall crawl. Anyhow since the wires and connections appeared damaged, they will not be replacing anything under warranty.

I drive this damn jeep to and from work. I keep it in the garage. I don't abuse it or take it to any crazy off-road parks. I've literally babied it since purchase. The vehicle is just over 2 years old. They suggested I call the place which did the repair work. My issue is, the lights and signals JUST came on a few days ago and my accident was over a year ago. I am now stuck with a Jeep with multiple issues from "damaged" wires and having to pay for this work out of pocket. Thinking about getting a lawyer involved. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
They might be right. If those wires were repaired by another shop and now they’re crapping out, it’s not a warranty issue. Take it back to the repair shop and find out what they fixed. If they did work on them, then it’s between you and the shop.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So I don't drive my jeeps like I use to. I have two kids and it is my daily driver. I picked up a Brand new JLU Rubicon back in 2018. About a year after having the vehicle, I got into an auto accident. The vehicle was completely repaired and no issues ever came up. I now have an issue where multiple lights came on at the same time. I have (ABS, electronic stability control not working, 4x4 unavailable/ not working, axle locker needs service, park sense not available, and was also wanting them to address the rear seat latches that you pull to put the rear seat down had broken off completely with normal use. I got a call from the dealership saying that the wires appeared damaged and asked if I took it offroad or anything. I told them I do not do that anymore, I just mall crawl. Anyhow since the wires and connections appeared damaged, they will not be replacing anything under warranty.

I drive this damn jeep to and from work. I keep it in the garage. I don't abuse it or take it to any crazy off-road parks. I've literally babied it since purchase. The vehicle is just over 2 years old. They suggested I call the place which did the repair work. My issue is, the lights and signals JUST came on a few days ago and my accident was over a year ago. I am now stuck with a Jeep with multiple issues from "damaged" wires and having to pay for this work out of pocket. Thinking about getting a lawyer involved. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Here's one: Don't spend your money on a lawyer. You have to resolve this through a dealer. Maybe a different one than you took it to originally. If you have to pay out of pocket, better to use the money to make repairs than fiddle it away on lawyers that probably won't resolve anything in a time period that is acceptable.

I had the same issue with my first Lexus. Had an accident and had a very competent body shop fix all of the damage. 6 months later I'm having charging problems and they wouldn't touch it under warranty. I ended up trading for a newer Lexus and moved on vowing never to repeat that mistake again. If it's under warranty......get the dealer to fix your accident damage.

Sorry you're having these problems but I understand!!!

OP
OP

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
I'll see what the repair shop says from the accident. They asked if I take it off-road or what not, and I said no. As far as I know the wires or whatever sound damaged. I just have a feeling, since its been over a year from the accident, that they will give me a hard time. I didn't think it would just randomly show up. Its frustrating to have a 2 year old Jeep, baby it, and when something goes wrong, dealer says "nope, not under your warranty". Ive had plenty of new cars, and usually dealerships just fix the issue...

OP
OP

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
They might be right. If those wires were repaired by another shop and now they’re crapping out, it’s not a warranty issue. Take it back to the repair shop and find out what they fixed. If they did work on them, then it’s between you and the shop.
I'm not sure that they were even touched by the accident repair shop, and they didn't know either. They just said they wouldn't be covered under warranty. MUD got into my park sense sensor and now has the entire park sense unavailable. They said "because of the mud in the wiring, we are classifying this as misuse and will not be covered under warranty". So apparently your not suppose to get mud on your jeep.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had a similar situation with multiple lights, although not from an accident. The dealership misdiagnosed it at first and ended up replacing both batteries under warranty. The came back quickly. They took another look and discovered damaged wiring under the passenger seat (my fault, not careful enough with routing wires when I installed ARB compressor). It wasn’t a manufacturing defect so it wasn’t covered under warranty. I didn’t like that decision but it is 100% correct and fair. They charged me $400 to repair the wires which is about $200 too much but the work is now covered by warranty.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Sponsored