Sponsored

Dealership is replacing my '21 Rubi. Need to vent. (Happy ending looking likely!)

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Pardon my ignorance... "TBH" ? Thanks.
Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

Sponsored

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad you are getting a solid resolution to all of this.

I saw you talked about getting a manual. I have only been driving this one for a couple months, but it does have the 4.88's. It is a lot of fun. Seriously, tons of fun. The gearing is decent on road. 1st is so short it's comical. Many will tell you the clutch engagement zone (super-extra technical term) is quite short and takes some getting used to. I have stalled it at least a million times trying to quickly shift into first at a light while waiting.

Where it shines is off-road and in 4-low. Holy crap is it low. I mean, legitimately get out the Jeep, take a piss and jump back in slow. It also walks up inclines and such like its a joke. Same thing downhill, perfect control. If you like manuals I say go for it.

There have been issues with the clutch exploding. I don't know the proportion of failures, so that will ultimately have to be something you factor in to your decision.

Either way, stoked for you.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

sounds like a great dealership to work with. If i had to wait on my order for LEDS i would just go with the standard halogen lights. most of us change to new tail lights and a bulb swap on the headlights to make them LED has worked great for me.. anyways at least the COO is working for you. smile and be happy that it is almost over

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Man, the keyboard warriors and elitist trolls are out in force today... 🙄

~Durhurhur I'm so enlightened that I have to go tell other poor little emotional creatures how petty and irrational they're being~

The hell is the matter with people? It's not that hard to 1) read, and 2) understand...

I'm sorry your Jeep has been giving you shit.
That's awesome that your dealer is giving you such a great opportunity to make things right.

See?
Some people just lack empathy for another person’s problems. Gas lighting comes to mind here 🤷‍♀️

Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Wow, we've noticing on my 2019 the paint is bubbling up at the corners of the doors and on the hinges. Shouldn't be for 3 years old. But we've been busy in the past couple of months dealing with the Start/Stop issue. The dealer had mine last week for visit no. 3. We already replaced the main battery, and the in the middle of August we had the dealer replace the aux battery but it still kept throwing 80-90 codes and the frequency of all the error messages popping up and locking me in park was increasing. Last week they replaced the star connector behind the glove box, I guess it's like a USB hub and something inside was tight and every time it moved, apparently, the error codes started showing up. When they moved it slightly it stopped. I've got my fingers crossed that this solves that issue. But I fear we'll be looking for a new jeep, even though I'm only in 3 years on this loan of 6 years. Good luck!

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Hello, internet friends, and thanks for reading.

I've had my JLUR (2.0T) for a year and a half now. Due to a return-to-office date last year-ish that never actually happened, she's got pretty low miles (11,000, all personal - not commuting is actually kinda great). In that time I've had zero reliability issues, but a litany of minor annoyances that the dealership cannot seem to figure out. To name a few:
  • The center console USB-A port has never worked correctly with CarPlay - the system freezes randomly and I have to unplug/re-plug my phone. Not gonna do that every 5 minutes while driving, so I just use the dash USB-C, but that cord is always getting in the way. They replaced the USB port itself with no effect.
  • It's been in four times for start-stop related issues, for which they've replaced the wiring harnesses, the sensor, the aux battery, and finally the PDC in July. The system went out again last week. At no point has it ever thrown any codes; it just quietly stopped working.
  • Paint is bubbling on 8 of 12 hinges - hood, tailgate, and every door but the driver's, as well as some strange peeling under the lip of the inside of the tailgate.
I love this jeep. It's everything I could ask for in a vehicle. Which is why it's been so frustrating that they've been unable to figure anything out. This is my third Jeep from this dealership, I have a pretty good relationship with them and with their service department, but the more I talk to them the more I realize how woefully understaffed they have been for at least the past year. Their follow-through has been virtually nonexistent.

The paint issues, specifically, I've been trying to get traction on since March, at which time the corrosion was on only the two rear doors. In the six months it took them to get me to a body shop to get an estimate, it has spread to three more panels. Every conversation in the past couple of months turned to the fact that warranty would only approve spot repairs, and I made it clear that the only solution I would accept was a full re-paint - and if this level of corrosion didn't qualify, then I would wait until it did. I've had spot painting done through warranty before (with a couple of Hondas - I swear they have the worst clearcoat of any automaker) - it always turns out looking like garbage, never matches the factory paint perfectly, and in one case, peeled worse after the "repair" than it did before. With this many panels affected, there is absolutely no way to guarantee factory finish without substantial blending, and at that point you might as well just do it right and repaint the entire thing.

I made that case to the service writer and the warranty administrator at the dealership, who empathized with my concerns, agreed that spot painting was not the best course of action with a vehicle this new and with this many affected areas. Then they sent it over to the body shop to get a quote for... spot painting. This came to light the same day as the ESS system went out yet again, so needless to say I was not pleased.

At or around this point I started looking into options to get out of this jeep. I'm a year and a half into a lease that was a fantastic deal when I signed it, but not so much when it comes to early trades. I made a substantial down payment to get my monthly to almost nothing (with the plan to buy the Jeep at the residual price at the end), but cashing out now would mean losing at least 10 grand in equity, and that's not a compromise I was willing to make. I talked to Chrysler Capital and Jeep Wave customer service, who took lots of notes but made zero promises.

And then - after however many hours on the phone, and months of dealing with issues - I called the dealership and asked to speak to the GM. The COO answered, and informed me that he was doing double duty as the GM (again, I do not envy their staffing situation). I explained my situation; he listened and then said, hey man, it sounds like we just need to get a new one ordered for you, and we'll eat any loss on the trade to make sure you come out ahead.

So now I'm A) waiting on order availability - there are apparently restrictions on LED headlights and a few other things currently, and B) following through on the repairs, since it's going to be 2-3 months before they can get my replacement in. That's at the COO's request - I would be fine to just drive it like this until the new one comes in, but they're doing this at their discretion without Chrysler eating the loss on a lemon-law buyback (and the associated hassle). I can understand them wanting my current Jeep in sellable shape, and they're going to put me in a loaner Gladiator while it's in the paintshop.

I also have some flexibility on options. I love the 2.0T and automatic, but this might be my last chance to order a new vehicle of any kind with a manual transmission. And you can get it from the factory with 4.88 gears, and it's still the cheapest option?! Gonna be hard to say no to that, but I have a few months to decide. Also going to most likely skip the painted hardtop and fenders, which I wouldn't have gone for if I had custom-ordered this one. My fenders are already scratched to shit, and the green hardtop looks great, but I can get a standard hardtop AND a soft top for the same price...

In summary... Jeep warranty service sucks, my dealership's communication sucks, none of this should have been nearly this difficult to get addressed, and honestly it sucks that it's come to this. I've seen horror stories far worse than this, and feel slightly bad about making such a big deal over these issues, although I still believe my experience is unusual (this is my 6th jeep, after all). But sometimes it's just a matter of talking to the right person, and being as patient and kind as possible. Fingers crossed that the next few months go smoothly.
I’ve got the same issue with the USB in the center console. Dealer told me it’s fixed, the.ln it’s fixed again, then I’m using the wrong cable, then there’s pocket lint in my phone port. I’ve proven them wrong all 4 times. They replaced the USB twice and still not working. I have a ticket in with Jeep cares on a lemon law replacement.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We pay for flaws now? How low a bar do you recommend we accept on premium priced vehicles?
Indeed.

There’s no good justification for paint bubbling after three months, and cheap batteries that go bad after only a few weeks on a $60,000 vehicle.

Especially when Jeep has had five model years to address these issues.

The only justification is that Jeep does not really care as long as we keep buying these things.
Sponsored