Dealership is NOT your Friend !

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Know this:

Early on... right after purchase, Mopar/Jeep will send a survey to you the purchaser, regarding your purchase experience, your delivery experience with the dealership ..

Dealerships are extremely concerned about the comments you make on that survey and will do most anything to have you give them a high rating/perfect rating.

Their standing with Mopar/Jeep, what they get from Mopar/Jeep down the road, and lots more, can be impacted very negatively, if you the purchaser generates a poor survey, etc..

In your conversation with the General Sales Manager, (don't even bother with your sales guy or gal) if you feel he/she is not doing you right ( not getting you the tool kit or fuel door that should have been with your new Jeep, etc.) say to him/her in passing,.. OK, I will mention my dissatisfaction in my purchase/delivery survey and see what Jeep says. I can tell you he will undoubtedly change his tune with you.

I actually have had a GSM give me add-ons worth lots of $, for my promise to give them a glowing review/survey.

Another point.. if your dealership does you bad, and you can't get it remedied, go to their Face Book page and post a succinct, non-threatening, well worded Face Book review stating how they wronged you. Can tell you that it will be in very short order, soon after your posting, that you will get an email or phone call with the dealership wanting to right the situation and having you remove/edit the review.

In closing, if a dealership does you right, they are straight up with you, let them know. Do tell Mopar/Jeep in a letter, positive survey, post a positive Face Book review, a positive review at their Mopar/Jeep website... Write letters commending Sales people, Service Writers and all.... BUT if you are wronged do the same, politely, speak up!

Fortunately, in today's day and age, with social media, etc., the customer, can be heard loudly by the masses not just the next door neighbor. Your being heard by the masses, will very often get you a solution to issues at hand.

Sponsored

Last edited:

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...I've seen this first hand. However, be aware, if your salesman does a great job, yet the dealership itself is where your beef is at, and you respond negatively in your survey, chances are, the salesperson will get the blame. My last new car, a Ford Focus, was great; the salesperson was great; but the dealership (owner, it turns out) was crappy. We indicated that in the survey and they took a hit. The salesperson and finance manager got canned. I felt truly bad... The survey's are a powerful tool, but use them judiciously...

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Yep...I've seen this first hand. However, be aware, if your salesman does a great job, yet the dealership itself is where your beef is at, and you respond negatively in your survey, chances are, the salesperson will get the blame. My last new car, a Ford Focus, was great; the salesperson was great; but the dealership (owner, it turns out) was crappy. We indicated that in the survey and they took a hit. The salesperson and finance manager got canned. I felt truly bad... The survey's are a powerful tool, but use them judiciously...
Yes, unfortunately, shit rolls down hill and the sales guy/gal can feel heat. When I write my reviews, complaints positive reviews, I clearly state exactly who I am aiming at. I will state name and title of the employee. If it is the dealership owner, I will state his name and title. Yes, you have to take, lets say careful take aim. Just do it calmly, politely and with no threats.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I'm your friend...:( Seriously though, as long as the salesperson was good, give the dealership all 10's on the survey. Go bitch afterwards in a different format if its the dealership that is the issue.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
I'm your friend...:( Seriously though, as long as the salesperson was good, give the dealership all 10's on the survey. Go bitch afterwards in a different format if its the dealership that is the issue.
Are you suggesting that "as long as sales person is good", but you don't get the tool kit or fuel door you are due.... and ....the GSM is a dick about it, that you should still give all 10's on the survey? If you are saying that, I in all due respect, beg to differ. Reality is the sales person is the tail of the fish and the GSM is the head of the fish. The fish stinks from the head down. That survey reflects the vehicle buyer's sales experience regardless of what part of the fish.

That survey is a major weapon in the vehicle purchaser's arsenal and should be drawn very quickly when necessary and ultimately used if he/she the car buyer, is lets say not done right by..

I strongly encourage those that give less then 10's on the survey to first speak with the GSM or dealership owner before doing so, because 9 times out of 10, they will do what it takes to get you to do all 10's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If I get a terrible meal and the restaurant can't fix it you bet that tip is low...

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Are you suggesting that "as long as sales person is good", but you don't get the tool kit or fuel door you are due.... and ....the GSM is a dick about it, that you should still give all 10's on the survey? If you are saying that, I in all due respect, beg to differ. Reality is the sales person is the tail of the fish and the GSM is the head of the fish. The fish stinks from the head down. That survey reflects the vehicle buyer's sales experience regardless of what part of the fish.

That survey is a major weapon in the vehicle purchaser's arsenal and should be drawn very quickly when necessary and ultimately used if he/she the car buyer, is lets say not done right by..

I strongly encourage those that give less then 10's on the survey to first speak with the GSM or dealership owner before doing so, because 9 times out of 10, they will do what it takes to get you to do all 10's.
There is a benchmark for Chrysler, yes, there isn't anything they "get" extra from them but it is important. If your sales guy, "the tail" is a good person, does a good job, and you like them. By negatively reflecting anything but a 10 on the survey can affect their pay plan. In some cases (yes can confirm) it can actually cost the poor "tail" money to sell you a vehicle. So he just spent days and hours with you so you can shell out $50000 and he owes the dealership money, or makes $50 for his effort afterwards because you were missing the $10 tool kit from the glove box that he didn't take, but Jeep forgot to put it in the vehicle. So Chrysler sells you the $50k car, you finance it and the scumbag finance guy gets paid, the dealership moves a unit the GM keeps his pay no matter what. Then the 20 year old salesperson with a new kid and a lazy old lady gets to eat Ramen noodles again because he spent all that time and made jack shit.

If anything, you had a bad experience, don't fill out the survey at all. Just march in and demand to speak to whoever and make a scene in the showroom on a Saturday so they can grab a tool kit out of a different Jeep, laugh at you afterwards and say, "was that asshole your customer" The people who usually do this are the (yes I'm Profiling) guys making $20k a month but trying to live like they make $100k a month. We are all truly sorry that you also think your 630 score deserves 2.9% financing.

Entitlement and Karma usually even themselves out in the end.

Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
There is a benchmark for Chrysler, yes, there isn't anything they "get" extra from them but it is important. If your sales guy, "the tail" is a good person, does a good job, and you like them. By negatively reflecting anything but a 10 on the survey can affect their pay plan. In some cases (yes can confirm) it can actually cost the poor "tail" money to sell you a vehicle. So he just spent days and hours with you so you can shell out $50000 and he owes the dealership money, or makes $50 for his effort afterwards because you were missing the $10 tool kit from the glove box that he didn't take, but Jeep forgot to put it in the vehicle. So Chrysler sells you the $50k car, you finance it and the scumbag finance guy gets paid, the dealership moves a unit the GM keeps his pay no matter what. Then the 20 year old salesperson with a new kid and a lazy old lady gets to eat Ramen noodles again because he spent all that time and made jack shit.

If anything, you had a bad experience, don't fill out the survey at all. Just march in and demand to speak to whoever and make a scene in the showroom on a Saturday so they can grab a tool kit out of a different Jeep, laugh at you afterwards and say, "was that asshole your customer" The people who usually do this are the (yes I'm Profiling) guys making $20k a month but trying to live like they make $100k a month. We are all truly sorry that you also think your 630 score deserves 2.9% financing.

I'll take $20k a month!

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Even if the server was great? I have the same argument here. They make like $2 an hour.
In a case like this when meal is bad and the waiter is great, I tip the waiter appropriately but demand a refund on the spot refund from management. Management does not comply, I will make a scene if need be.

I grew up in the restaurant business (Father had Bars and Restaurants) and I know better then to ever send food back to the kitchen for a fix or for complete replacement.

Scenario: Food comes to table and it is not right, I immediately demand a full refund, get that refund and walk out the door. Will tip the waiter based on time he spent lets say dealing with me. :facepalm:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

I hear ya.
I guess the point I am trying to make is to use the "survey" weapon, politely state you will use the weapon, and 99 9/10th percent of the time, the GSM or dealership owner will fold, makes things right with you, and... will do just as you said "laugh at you afterwards and say, "was that asshole your customer".... BUT I, the vehicle purchaser leave the dealership with what I paid for. As for the GSM that gave me what I wanted, he most times takes what he gave me from the next poor smuck that does not know enough not to bend over the GSM's desk.

I never deal with the tail / the sales guy or gal at a dealership. IF the GSM / head, won't deal with me directly/exclusively, I walk. I have never had to walk and I have purchased dozens of new cars / trucks over the years. Also, my first contact these days is the "Internet Sales" guy/gal for basic pricing and then will only speak with the GSM. And yes, I'm confident the dealership most always wins/makes money on me.

Retail car / truck sales sucks. But some people enjoy working in it. As for GSM's they are all about numbers. They know they win most of the time. What they don't fleece from you they get from the next smuck.

Last edited:

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
Or how about being reasonable with the sales people and the dealership. They are like any other business, they have to make a profit to exist. Build a relationship with your dealership and they will take care of you.

Be positive and find a price that works for both sides. Don't use the survey as a threat to get more stuff, use it as an indicator of the service you receive. If the radio doesn't work or something is missing from the factory don't ding the salesman or the dealership. I try to be friends with everyone I deal with. When you do this you will be surprised how people will bend over backwards to make you happy.

It's a small world. People know you by your actions. Be the person you want to be around

How about a special thanks to the JLWF Dealer Guy. Took a lot of time to answer all of our questions.
Sponsored