Sponsored

Dealership in California has a Rubicon price mark-up of $16,000!!!

Crazyramses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Bright White
It’s so funny you mention that! I watch those shows (trying to update my house) and every time they mention their budget, I’m thinking-are you freaking kidding me?! You’re a part-time cashier and your husband plays with LEGOs! How do you afford this house:whatsgoingon:Not there is anything wrong with playing with LEGOs. :cwl:
Until you qualified the playing with LEGO part I was thinking "Them's fighting words!!" :like:
Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Like somebody already said. In Cali someone will pay it. You have all seen it TLC, DIY, HGTV, etc..... 1500 sf Cali house, built in 1970, a "Fixerupper" selling for $850k and a bidding war breaks out. Meanwhile back in the South you can build a brand new custom house, 3,000 sf, 40 acres on the river for $300k. Oh ya and the couple buying the Cali house.... Ones a Yoga instructor and the other is a student. Really??? Your budget is $850k-$1mil but you might go over for the right house. Oh ya. Don't forget the $500k you're going to put into it to remodel. I don't have to understand it. Just glad I don't live out there. I'm a proud Hillbilly :)

california-be-like-summit-now-for-the-bad-news-for-25477084.png
Hahaha I'm from Cali and I couldn't agree more. We get flyers in the mail that houses around the block are listed for 600k-800k and some are sold. Simple 1800sqf, 3 bed, 2 bad if you're lucky. And I don't live anywhere fancy. Drive 3 miles south and they are over 1 mil.
Needles to say that if u try to rent a studio is about 1200, 2 bed apt hovering 1800 :cwl:

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers do this all the time because there is always a sucker out there that pays up. How do they even come up with that figure is what I want to know.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Worst was the ACR - they literally give you two BINDERS full of colors. I can't remember if each binder was 16K colors or 32K colors. Now pick one. Then they send you a little model of the car in that color for you to confirm. Luckily, I picked VERY well. So happy with that car.
I can't decide if i want to be your best friend or if i hate you.

Want to be best friends?

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I was at a dealership the other day helping a buddy haggle for a new JL order. Managed to get them to 6% below invoice for him. ha

However, they have a few JK's on the lot and they have secondary window stickers that have a markup due to accessories added. ie; protective film, nitrogen filled tires, locking lugs. This came out to $3,500 added to the cost.

When I identified said sticker to the salesman I simply called it a "rape sticker". He started laughing.

A simple "markup" without even adding overpriced accessories, is ludicrous. Sadly, there are uninformed and overpaid people out there that will overpay for things. There must be, or they wouldn't do markups on things.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I was at a dealership the other day helping a buddy haggle for a new JL order. Managed to get them to 6% below invoice for him. ha

However, they have a few JK's on the lot and they have secondary window stickers that have a markup due to accessories added. ie; protective film, nitrogen filled tires, locking lugs. This came out to $3,500 added to the cost.

When I identified said sticker to the salesman I simply called it a "rape sticker". He started laughing.

A simple "markup" without even adding overpriced accessories, is ludicrous. Sadly, there are uninformed and overpaid people out there that will overpay for things. There must be, or they wouldn't do markups on things.
That’s good:giggle::handsinair:

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Your tax math is a bit off. lol. It'd be $5k in taxes. Maybe $800 in reg/fees.

Still, it's insanity. Just don't want people thinking we literally pay $10k in taxes out here. It isn't THAT bad. lmao
You're correct, I accidentally used 1.15 (15% total increase for tax, title, and license) to calculate TTL instead of the correct 1.10. The correct amount would be around $72,600. Still way more than I'd pay for a stock Jeep.

Sponsored

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited

This Gilroy dealership is like that. My deal with them is almost off. Just waiting to get my deposit back from my bank and I'll start the process again. Any recommendation in the bay area? Have tried most around which I mentioned in my other post.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
This Gilroy dealership is like that. My deal with them is almost off. Just waiting to get my deposit back from my bank and I'll start the process again. Any recommendation in the bay area? Have tried most around which I mentioned in my other post.
Use the Dennis Dillon Idaho deal as your bargaining chip. Hell, you could use the Las Vegas 5% deal as well.

Make a local dealer match it. Some will. My buddy just got his order placed in Norcal for 6% below invoice yesterday.

I won't list his or my dealership though - You just need to haggle it.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
“Good value” is determined by a willing buyer and a willing seller and if someone wants to pay the markup, so be it. But anything above MSRP is simply price gouging. Be it “additional dealer markup,” “market value,” “protection package,” etc. Even those “doc fees” are mostly BS and another profit source for dealers (when I negotiate a Jeep price I always tell the dealer it is an “out the door” price so if they have doc fees or other bullsh%t to add on, figure out how they are going to cover it in the selling price). Call it what you (dealer) want, but IMHO the conduct of that California dealer’s markup is shameless and if they are willing to do that, what else are they willing to do to increase profits? Use counterfeit repair parts, “puff up” service estimates for work that is not needed, inflate “shop costs” added to your bill? A dealer demanding MSRP going into “negotiations” is just being a dealer asking what the sticker says. I can live with that, but I am certainly not going to buy from them because, as many of you have pointed out, there are so many other dealers that will sell below MSRP (including my local dealer here in Wis who generally sells me whatever vehicle I want in the 2% to 5% below invoice range). I remember when the Mazda Miata first appeared around 1989; California dealers were marking them up $8,000 to $12,000. But keep in mind, the Miata was a revolutionary vehicle at the time unlike the Jeep JL which is evolutionary. While I don’t agree with such markups, I understand it more for the Miata than the JL, a Jeep that, yes, will be just another vehicle on their lots in a few months and nothing special. JL inventories will be aplenty soon enough.

Yesterday, I had a few minutes spare time when I was in the Twin Cities (MN) so I swung by a couple of Jeep dealers there (funny how that happens; for the record, I do not drive my JKU to any Jeep lot when “just looking” because I don’t want to hurt its feelings). Surprisingly, both of them had at least 20 to 30 JKs/JKUs in their lots and one of them had no JLs (the other had like 2 JLUs). Don’t know if they are ordering the JKs or Jeep is dumping them on dealers (as you know, dealers do not have full control of their inventories; the dealer may also be wagering here that maybe the JL is not everything it is cracked up to be or the higher price which reduces the population that can buy them over the JK). Not enough time to engage a salesperson about pricing, but I have to believe every one of those JKs will likely be discounted.

So my two-cents worth is, do not buy from unscrupulous dealers adding markups. Their unprincipled ways likely extend beyond what you pay for the vehicle to every other aspect of their operation, not to mention, every time you get in your overpriced Jeep that bad taste will return to your mouth and part of you will have less enjoyment from your Jeep.

Last edited:

NWGS

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU on 1tons and 40's, Dodge Viper
Check this out.

South County CDJRF in Gilroy, California.

JLUR MSRP: $49,865
"High demand" mark-up: $15,999
Their deal: $65,864

:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

This is worthy of some Yelp reviews, I would say.

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

Wow that is crazy! I got a call from Casper my previous salesmen on my JKU from Tacoma Dodge in Tacoma WA and he said one showed up weeks early and I could have first dibs with no Mark up. So I went down there and bought.

Brodiec27

First Name
Brodie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I purchased mine from tutle click in Irvine and the sales rep gave me $2k off MSRP that’s the best deal I found in Southern California
Sponsored