Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Sounds fishy, or like they're planning on using aftermarket modules, as is my dealership. If that is the case, though, if you get to keep the programmer, maybe 300 bucks isn't bad?
I’m just not following this process they are offering. I figured that MOPAR offered this service to all clients, no additional license per client needed.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So, I take it that all the talk of the JL "automatically calibrating for larger tires" was taken way out of context and isn't actually true?

Sounds like JLU is no different from Jeeps and trucks of 15 years ago. You have to go in and program the computer the old fashioned way.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So, I take it that all the talk of the JL "automatically calibrating for larger tires" was taken way out of context and isn't actually true?

Sounds like JLU is no different from Jeeps and trucks of 15 years ago. You have to go in and program the computer the old fashioned way.
It doesn't calibrate itself, so you are correct, it isn't true.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did not auto calibrate. It was off about 5-7mph on the highway. Dealer was able to calibrate mine for 34.5" tires and it's spot on now. $125.

jerseyJL

First Name
vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon
Has anyone tried the tazer? my dealership wanted to charge me $465 for the speedo calibration and TPMS threshold!! Im going to see today if my computer recalibrate itself i'm running 37's stock right now. Lift going in on Tuesday

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I got the same nonsense from my dealership about the license fee. "$125 plus the $95" they wanted for the labor. I said no thanks and left (after sitting there almost an hour). They called the $125 a "service contract."

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yea...my speedo is off 5 to 7 mph with 35" tires so last Friday, I checked with 2 different dealerships in the local area...one wanted $265 and told me that there was a "part" that I needed to purchase and that they would have to order it before having it done...and the other dealership wanted $225 for the re-flash but didn't mention anything at all about a part having to be ordered to complete the job. :swear: In fact, they told me that they would just have to be on the phone with FCA during the process...what about, I don't know...and said it would take about an hour to accomplish. Sounds like a bunch of horse-hockey to me and I don't know what to believe at this point. But, if this does affect shifting points with the vehicle, I think that it's pretty important that it gets done fairly quickly. Anyone have any other experiences like mine??? :facepalm:

draffind

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Good luck finding a dealer that even has a clue. I've called every dealer in my area about getting my pcm flashed and not one of them knows what I'm talking about. It's crazy how none of these dealers have been trained on how to work on these cars. Sounds like a issue for @JeepCares could pass up the chain.

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
I’m taking my JL in tomorrow to get recalibrated for the 37’s. I sent them the doc from this thread and they researched it since it’s the first JL they are doing. They had me measure my tire actual size. The Cooper STT measures all but exactly 36”.

They did indicate the $125 license and $55 labor. I was ok with that. Will see how it goes.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I’m taking my JL in tomorrow to get recalibrated for the 37’s. I sent them the doc from this thread and they researched it since it’s the first JL they are doing. They had me measure my tire actual size. The Cooper STT measures all but exactly 36”.

They did indicate the $125 license and $55 labor. I was ok with that. Will see how it goes.
$55 labor???

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Good luck finding a dealer that even has a clue. I've called every dealer in my area about getting my pcm flashed and not one of them knows what I'm talking about. It's crazy how none of these dealers have been trained on how to work on these cars. Sounds like a issue for @JeepCares could pass up the chain.
I do understand some dealers aren't aware of the vin option update for the cust. There is a fee that FCA charges. It's insane, it use to be free but now they charge for it.

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wanted to post an update on this. I just installed 37's on my JL yesterday and called my local Jeep dealer to set up an appointment to do this. The service writer was very knowledgeable about the process so i'm going to recap for those of you who may have one that isn't up to speed on it. When you take it in or call, you have to purchase the "MVP Calibration" - see image in first thread of this post. This is a one time $125 purchase that covers recalibrating it to your modded settings. Once you make this purchase, it then has to go to the finance department (you're basically buying a one-time service contract). The finance department then pulls the codes required to program and re-flash your jeep based on your VIN. (this is a step that the big dogs have written in so that the actual mechanics can't do it on the side for free). Then the finance department gets the codes to the actual technician who punches it in their system and reflashes the jeep. It's a drop it off and come back later type of appointment to allow time to jump thru all the hoops. Have mine setup for next week.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Wanted to post an update on this. I just installed 37's on my JL yesterday and called my local Jeep dealer to set up an appointment to do this. The service writer was very knowledgeable about the process so i'm going to recap for those of you who may have one that isn't up to speed on it. When you take it in or call, you have to purchase the "MVP Calibration" - see image in first thread of this post. This is a one time $125 purchase that covers recalibrating it to your modded settings. Once you make this purchase, it then has to go to the finance department (you're basically buying a one-time service contract). The finance department then pulls the codes required to program and re-flash your jeep based on your VIN. (this is a step that the big dogs have written in so that the actual mechanics can't do it on the side for free). Then the finance department gets the codes to the actual technician who punches it in their system and reflashes the jeep. It's a drop it off and come back later type of appointment to allow time to jump thru all the hoops. Have mine setup for next week.
Yea...the sister dealership a few miles north of where I bought mine essentially told me the same thing. Same cost too...$125...and they didn't mention anything about a "labor charge" so we'll see if that happens. They told me that they need the Jeep for at least 2 hours but probably a bit less than that and that I could wait for it so I'll be taking mine in tomorrow around 3pm.

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yea...the sister dealership a few miles north of where I bought mine essentially told me the same thing. Same cost too...$125...and they didn't mention anything about a "labor charge" so we'll see if that happens. They told me that they need the Jeep for at least 2 hours but probably a bit less than that and that I could wait for it so I'll be taking mine in tomorrow around 3pm.
I verified that it would be $125 out the door for the charge and they confirmed.
Sponsored