Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
On my 2019 JL I had the dealer do my recal for tires, well I'm back again for my newer 2020 and they said they need to actually buy something different and that the old flash way isnt the way any more. I feel like this is a puff of steam... Any word out there from 2020 guys?
Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
On my 2019 JL I had the dealer do my recal for tires, well I'm back again for my newer 2020 and they said they need to actually buy something different and that the old flash way isnt the way any more. I feel like this is a puff of steam... Any word out there from 2020 guys?
Did you show them this? I had to show it to my dealer 2 years ago on my 2018 JLR

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Did you show them this? I had to show it to my dealer 2 years ago on my 2018 JLR
I did via text, not in person... They were able to do my 2019 (RIP) but now they are saying they have to order a part for the 2020... Just checking other experiences with 2020 folks.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Get OBD Jscan App, 12+8 Chrysler bypass wires and OBD2 bluetooth adapter (total cost of $75 for all to your door)

Save your self time and money ... and sanity

Also will be able to program your tire pressure (set mine to give out warning at 20spi) and anything else that Tazer does.

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Savin warranty is what I'm trying to do. The dealer just sent me a picture of a rough country calibrator that they are having people use....

Sponsored

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
Savin warranty is what I'm trying to do. The dealer just sent me a picture of a rough country calibrator that they are having people use....
did you ever get it done? im asking my dealership now if they can just swap in bigger tires for me when i take possession of the vehicle and calibrate them there...waiting on response.

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
did you ever get it done? im asking my dealership now if they can just swap in bigger tires for me when i take possession of the vehicle and calibrate them there...waiting on response.
Yupp they sure did.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this when I picked up my 2021, 2 weeks ago. Had them put on new wheels and tires before pickup and they said now they actually put in your VIN and tire size, send it to FCA and then they get a file back to upload and reprogram the Jeep.

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
I just did this when I picked up my 2021, 2 weeks ago. Had them put on new wheels and tires before pickup and they said now they actually put in your VIN and tire size, send it to FCA and then they get a file back to upload and reprogram the Jeep.
That's cool. Did it also take the new PSI of larger tire into consideration?

Also - what did they do with your stock wheels/tires? I just wanted them to remount my factory rims on some 35's which they said they'll do, but they won't buy back or give me any kind of credit on the stock 33's so I don't really know what to do with them as I would prefer not to load my garage up with 5 tires I'm not planning on using.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer in SoCal gave me $1200 credit for my wheels and tires :handsinair:

not sure if it changes anything in the TPMS

Sponsored

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
My dealer charged me $135 for the recalibration service. I asked them what tire size they typed in and they said 35'' since I'm on 35's. I told them that they need to measure the actual tire size and then I received a lecture about how wrong I am and how they have never done it that way in the past. I mentioned I'm looking at the Mopar sheet that says "do not assume sidewall value is correct". I was then accused of being overly "critical". I'm going to try and see if they can fix it. So my advice is to just be super clear about what you want upfront.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My dealer charged me $135 for the recalibration service. I asked them what tire size they typed in and they said 35'' since I'm on 35's. I told them that they need to measure the actual tire size and then I received a lecture about how wrong I am and how they have never done it that way in the past. I mentioned I'm looking at the Mopar sheet that says "do not assume sidewall value is correct". I was then accused of being overly "critical". I'm going to try and see if they can fix it. So my advice is to just be super clear about what you want upfront.
@ratherbskiing

My advice would be do not have the stealership do the re calibration.. You can do it yourself for well under $100.00.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Yea...my speedo is off 5 to 7 mph with 35" tires so last Friday, I checked with 2 different dealerships in the local area...one wanted $265 and told me that there was a "part" that I needed to purchase and that they would have to order it before having it done...and the other dealership wanted $225 for the re-flash but didn't mention anything at all about a part having to be ordered to complete the job. :swear: In fact, they told me that they would just have to be on the phone with FCA during the process...what about, I don't know...and said it would take about an hour to accomplish. Sounds like a bunch of horse-hockey to me and I don't know what to believe at this point. But, if this does affect shifting points with the vehicle, I think that it's pretty important that it gets done fairly quickly. Anyone have any other experiences like mine??? :facepalm:

Does anyone know if the mopar calibration ACTUALLY adjusts the shifting points >???
I'm putting on 37s and shifting point re-calibration is the only reason I would want this service...
Thanks !!!

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Does anyone know if the mopar calibration ACTUALLY adjusts the shifting points >???
I'm putting on 37s and shifting point re-calibration is the only reason I would want this service...
Thanks !!!
I can tell you that for about a week I ran my Jeep with 35" tires and I sensed that the shift points were slightly off compared to running them with the 33s that it came with. Once I re-cal'd my speedo to reflect the 35" tires, everything seemed fine...and has been ever since. Could the shift points have actually been off just a tad to make it noticeable to me? Sure. Or was it just me thinking they were off? Could've been that too. Logic dictates to me that a larger size tire affects your RPMs and that would affect the shift points. But again, that's just me. At any rate, my Jeep has run and shifted just fine ever since I had it recalibrated. That was nearly 3 years ago now.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The tire size adjustment/calibration doesn't actually do anything to the transmission. The JL transmission will automatically adjust and relearn the shift points once the vehicle is adjusted for the proper tire size.
Sponsored