Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Mojo just get a Tazer lite and in literally 5 mins you can have it up and running and be done and up and running in about 15 mins with tires set and other features turned on or off, the hardest part is figuring out the SGW module plugs but once you do it’s pretty simple to put in and take out.
Sponsored

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Rhinebeck01 & @WranglerMan you are both right, not even sure why I bothered... Every now and then I think for some reason "this time it will be different". I used to do a lot of laptop coding in the BMW M arena so I should be good to go. Ordered the Tazer lite shortly after my previous post. Thanks guys!

vanderbilt15

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Rubicon JL
Do not go to Frisco Jeep in Frisco, Texas. They just quoted me 175. Said it was a contract price.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I just ordered the RC speedo calibrater. Hopefully it makes a difference with my shifting.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just ordered the RC speedo calibrater. Hopefully it makes a difference with my shifting.
@Wrangler847

Once you get the speedo corrected, over a short period of time.... after you put some miles on the JL, your shift points will come into line.

Were it me, I would have purchased a JL programmer for $200+ rather then a $140 Rough Country speedo calibrator. More bang for the buck doing this.. Another plus is your can disable ESS, etc. with a programmer.

At least you are not paying the dealer to do the speedo calibration..

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My JL sport came with 305/65's installed by the dealer. Micky Thompson web site says the Baja MTZ of this size is 32.7 diameter. I told the dealer the speedo was off. At 77 on my iPhone the jeeps speedo reads 70. I was getting tail gated as I was going slower than I thought.

I also got a Rough Country programmer included with the jeep. The kid that installed all the aftermarket parts said they calibrated the speedo. I told him it was off and he said, maybe the other guy put in the wrong tire size or it did not take.
I hooked it up (very easy) It will read any codes stored as it needs to delete them before programming the speedo. When I selected the speedo cal it came up at the last setting selected as 34". Guess the dealer was guessing.

So this is what I discovered after recal 4 times. You have to measure tire height and don't assume manufacturer specs are correct. Maybe my tires are 32.7 with 60 psi, but at 30 Psi they are not. I started at 32.75 and ended up on the fourth cal at 31.75" to be 1 mph slower than what the speedo reads and can live with that. After the 4th cal I got out the tape measure and it appears the tires are a hair under 32." Bottom line the RC unit works and it is recommended setting the speedo back to default before service as they say the diagnostics the dealer uses may not recognize things.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Dealerships can now calibrate for bigger tires, modified axle ratio and modified transfer case ratio.

Confirmation:

JL-Wrangler-upgraded-tire-wheel-size-calibration.png
Here is the process, None of three local dealers could do it before watching this video.
I/2 hour labor charge and the $125 fee charged to the dealer by FCA.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
They shouldn't have charge you any labor! There's a labor op that pays the technician to perform the programming.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
So the calibration for axle ratio is if you regear they can the program fit that?

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
So the calibration for axle ratio is if you regear they can the program fit that?
Only if it's a ratio offered from the factory. Looks like you have a Rubicon so your Jeep comes standard with the highest gear ratio available.

It's kind of for this reason I tell people to "suck it up" and buy a calibration unit. Flashcal and Tazer are two models out there that do what you need with the Tazer also offering up the ability to do more.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only if it's a ratio offered from the factory. Looks like you have a Rubicon so your Jeep comes standard with the highest gear ratio available.

It's kind of for this reason I tell people to "suck it up" and buy a calibration unit. Flashcal and Tazer are two models out there that do what you need with the Tazer also offering up the ability to do more.
I was debating regear to 4.56 because all the gear charts said I should but now thinking back to stock is less hassle.
I called dealer and they said 35s should be ok with the 4.10 but it feels slow.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I was debating regear to 4.56 because all the gear charts said I should but now thinking back to stock is less hassle.
I couldn't imagine 4.10 to 4.56 being that drastic. I would go 4.88 at 5.13 at that point.

With that said the auto w/3.45's and dealer reprogram handle the 35's great! I know it's not as forgiving with the manual.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I know how that goes as I've got 37's on mine with an auto. I will say though that I thought my JL handled the mountains much better than my JK with a 6spd did with the 35's. Where my JK seemed to struggle, the JL seem to handle it mostly fine. Sure it would be better if I re-geared, however at the time I did the trip in my JL it was only a month old.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't imagine 4.10 to 4.56 being that drastic. I would go 4.88 at 5.13 at that point.

With that said the auto w/3.45's and dealer reprogram handle the 35's great! I know it's not as forgiving with the manual.
True. Same money for either gears might as well go bigger. Just not sure I want to spend the $$.
Ugh
Sponsored