Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Previously it was only possible to program speedo's with an aftermarket programmer. ... but they can totally do it
Not for any tire diameter lower than 35 they can't. The recall codes start at 35 and mt dealer confirmed they can't do 33s. The currently popular tuners can do a speedo recal on tires smaller than 35s.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Previously it was only possible to program speedo's with an aftermarket programmer. Jeep got smart and finally realized they could make some money off this and now offer it on the JL platform for tires up to 42" diameter. Yes it's something new, but they can totally do it
Heh Heh--it's your money, I won't doit-

Good luck

JIMBO

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport speedo was quite a bit off.

Dealer reprogrammed mine for the fee and now it's perfect.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I was just at my dealership yesterday getting the free oil change and asked them if they could do it. They said they could only do it up to the OEM 33's. So frustrating since there's a video showing exactly how to do it. Guess I'll wait on the AEV PROCAL.
If you still want try the dealer (not recommended by me) take the document in the first post of this thread into the dealer. That shows them that they have the ability if they're willing. Also takes some time as you need the sales dept to do the paperwork. Seems they took a simple procedure and made it difficult. As a business owner I'd be doing it for free to loyal customers and may even do it for first time customers to gain the business. The whole thing is senseless to me. As for me it cost them any future business in the service dept.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
That's funny, I've read claims that the dealers could re-program the JL speedo for the larger tires, but

For over18 years, the DODGE/JEEP dealers wouldn't reprogram the speed's for any tire LARGER THAN STOCK ISSUE !!

I wouldn't expect them to now, either-

Good luck

JIMBO
That's all false. I have reprogrammed many different FCA vehicles at the dealership.

Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Sounds like the dealership hasn't paid any attention to their online training classes. That's too bad.

The process starts with measuring tire size, then selling the MVP contract. The tech then reconfigures the vehicle and road tests it to see where the speedo is at. If it's off then you have to change the tire size in the vehicle options( I have not had to redo speedo yet). If the tire size is changed then you have to call the MVP contract and change the tire size.

Take the Jeep back and have them make it right. You can road test with tech/service manager/sales manager to verify speedometer before leaving.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Fyi. Fort colli s jeep in Colorado plans on pinging warrenties if you dont use their service.

My dealer in longmont threw this service in for free with my purchase even though im getting the lift at a later date. I told the i refuse to buy from any dealer who wouldnt thro this in for free. I have a signed contract for the service.

mbrindley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
upload_2018-4-26_11-26-42.png

It does take some time, we had one yesterday and to get the speedo right it took a couple test drives.

Thanks for posting this flyer. I called 2 different dealerships in Austin and neither was aware of it. One tried to send me to 4 Wheel Parts and the other said they could do it, but when I got there they didn't know how. I showed them the flyer posted, and now they know something new. Re-calibration was successful and they gave me a discount on the service. Suggested MSRP from Mopar is $125, but cost is less so they can discount. It's apparently a 2 month contract for re-calibration services that you purchase, not unlimited.

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Has anyone had the calibration done in Houston? Northwest Jeep said I’d have to leave my Jeep there for 2-3 days. Mac Haik said they haven’t been able to calibrate speedometers on Wranglers for about 5 years.
Did you end up finding a Houston dealership for your recalibration?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did you end up finding a Houston dealership for your recalibration?
You can get a Tazer JL lite and do this in like 5 mins once it’s installed which is like another 10mins plus you can turn off and on several other things, if you are not comfortable doing this get the Tazer and I will take you thru it, I live out in the a Katy area so you can come by and we can knock it out

Sponsored

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
You can get a Tazer JL lite and do this in like 5 mins once it’s installed which is like another 10mins plus you can turn off and on several other things, if you are not comfortable doing this get the Tazer and I will take you thru it, I live out in the a Katy area so you can come by and we can knock it out
If you use Tazer to reflash the system, would that not create warranty problem in future?

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If you use Tazer to reflash the system, would that not create warranty problem in future?
I remember seeing this covered in another article. There is a flash counter in the module but no real way to tell what had been changed or by who so there is little to no risk.

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Called one of 3 local dealers yesterday and was quoted the $125 + $55. Felt is was high but decided to book the appointment. Showed up for my appointment and they didnt really know how to go about the calibration process. They realized it was a two step process and said that they would need to charge me the $125 + $165 + Tax. I said no thanks and ill either check with the other 2 dealers or just get a Tazer and be done with it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Called one of 3 local dealers yesterday and was quoted the $125 + $55. Felt is was high but decided to book the appointment. Showed up for my appointment and they didnt really know how to go about the calibration process. They realized it was a two step process and said that they would need to charge me the $125 + $165 + Tax. I said no thanks and ill either check with the other 2 dealers or just get a Tazer and be done with it.
@Mojo

Why are you even bothering with the stealership.. Makes little sense to me for you to do so..

Just buy a Tazer JL Lite at $219.00 and "be done with it".

Makes little sense to throw $ at the stealership.

A side bonus of buying the Tazer JL Lite is that you can also disable ESS and disable Auto Park.

ALSO ... that $219 for the Tazer JL Lite, you will get more then half of that money back when you sell your JL and then sell the Tazer JL Lite on Craidslist or here on the forum.

You give that money to the stealership and it is GONE and not even a friggin thank you from them.

Sponsored