Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
Awesome. I wonder if 33's really throw a Sport's speedo off that much.

I imagine this is not a free procedure?
I put 35s on my Sport and got 2.5 mph over. Not enough for me to justify recalibration cost.
Also I bought tires at Discount tire and they replaced all 4 TPMS for free

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I put 35s on my Sport and got 2.5 mph over. Not enough for me to justify recalibration cost.
Also I bought tires at Discount tire and they replaced all 4 TPMS for free
That's funny...I put 35's on my Rubicon and my speedo is off 4 to 7 mph depending on the speed. I've checked it against the GPS on my phone and another portable Garmin that i have. More concerning to me are the shift points but it will also throw off your odometer as well.

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Has anyone had the calibration done in Houston? Northwest Jeep said I’d have to leave my Jeep there for 2-3 days. Mac Haik said they haven’t been able to calibrate speedometers on Wranglers for about 5 years.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Has anyone had the calibration done in Houston? Northwest Jeep said I’d have to leave my Jeep there for 2-3 days. Mac Haik said they haven’t been able to calibrate speedometers on Wranglers for about 5 years.
You need to find a different Service Department.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I'm in Salado, TX...had my speedo recalibrated at Mac Haik in Temple for $125 a week ago Friday. Tell your Mac Haik dealership in Houston to call their dealership in Temple to find out how. My service advisor was Ben Janousek...you could prob speak with him...254.239.2244. It took about an hour and a half to do mine.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
My local stealership took my $125 for the MVP. The service dept took my Jeep for two and half hours and told me it was all done. Speedo didnt change at all. Still off by 8% exactly the same as before I took it in. The funny thing is I asked the tech what size he programmed for and he looked confused and said he didnt know. I asked the service writer he said the sales dept did that. No body in the sales/finace dept ever looked at my Jeep with 35's on it. So no body measured my actual tire size. I don't think they did anything at all. Oh but it did have 34 more miles on it when I got it back than it had when dropped off. Stealerships they just lost my business. $125 lost

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My local stealership took my $125 for the MVP. The service dept took my Jeep for two and half hours and told me it was all done. Speedo didnt change at all. Still off by 8% exactly the same as before I took it in. The funny thing is I asked the tech what size he programmed for and he looked confused and said he didnt know. I asked the service writer he said the sales dept did that. No body in the sales/finace dept ever looked at my Jeep with 35's on it. So no body measured my actual tire size. I don't think they did anything at all. Oh but it did have 34 more miles on it when I got it back than it had when dropped off. Stealerships they just lost my business. $125 lost
I would take that straight back.

They are supposed to program the size in increments of 1/2" and they also have a procedure to measure the tires. I do believe they are supposed to drive it a few miles but 34 more WTF.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was just at my dealership yesterday getting the free oil change and asked them if they could do it. They said they could only do it up to the OEM 33's. So frustrating since there's a video showing exactly how to do it. Guess I'll wait on the AEV PROCAL.

Sponsored

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I would take that straight back.

They are supposed to program the size in increments of 1/2" and they also have a procedure to measure the tires. I do believe they are supposed to drive it a few miles but 34 more WTF.
I'm not sure I trust them with my Jeep. Probably just buy a superchips programmer and take my loss. I may try and get my $125 back but doubt that will happen.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
That's funny, I've read claims that the dealers could re-program the JL speedo for the larger tires, but

For over18 years, the DODGE/JEEP dealers wouldn't reprogram the speed's for any tire LARGER THAN STOCK ISSUE !!

I wouldn't expect them to now, either-

Good luck

JIMBO

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I agree, i would take it back and make them fix it for free. MOPAR outlines the exact procedure for them to do, measuring the tire and all. Make them fix it

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Dewey

For starter's find another dealership service dept. to do business with. Do not let that dealership service dept., touch your JLU again.

Go to dealership's GENERAL MANAGER and ask why 34 miles were put on the vehicle. Ask for a full refund.

Also... Do your homework on what programmer to buy. Not all programmers are created equal. There are posts on this forum, a poll regarding what programmer guys bought, etc.. Again, do your homework before you buy any programmer.

JeepDad33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's funny, I've read claims that the dealers could re-program the JL speedo for the larger tires, but

For over18 years, the DODGE/JEEP dealers wouldn't reprogram the speed's for any tire LARGER THAN STOCK ISSUE !!

I wouldn't expect them to now, either-

Good luck

JIMBO
Previously it was only possible to program speedo's with an aftermarket programmer. Jeep got smart and finally realized they could make some money off this and now offer it on the JL platform for tires up to 42" diameter. Yes it's something new, but they can totally do it
Sponsored