Sponsored

Dealership can now reprogram / calibrate speedometer and odometer for bigger tires

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Maybe that option is already available since the rubi comes with 4.10s?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’ll wait for the Procal or the like. I have 37’s and while I dislike the speedo difference it’s not that much to worry about for the short time I’ll wait for the aftermarket.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I used my gps watch on the way to Discount Tire & on the way home to get a sense of how far off I now am. Since I only went up from ~31s to ~33s, my speed isn't far off ... even at 70mph I'm only going about 73mph.

Since I recently taught my 7th grade math students about circles, I decided to teach them how to use tire sizes to find tire circumference. We calculated tire circumference of old & new, divided new by old, then multiplied that number by a few speeds to see the true speed despite the 'faulty' speedometer reading. The calculations came out just like the tacoma website in the link. :like: I think I may be grooming a few future Jeepers too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! I used my gps watch on the way to Discount Tire & on the way home to get a sense of how far off I now am. Since I only went up from ~31s to ~33s, my speed isn't far off ... even at 70mph I'm only going about 73mph.

Since I recently taught my 7th grade math students about circles, I decided to teach them how to use tire sizes to find tire circumference. We calculated tire circumference of old & new, divided new by old, then multiplied that number by a few speeds to see the true speed despite the 'faulty' speedometer reading. The calculations came out just like the tacoma website in the link. :like: I think I may be grooming a few future Jeepers too.
Ok, if you ever move to Indianapolis, I'll offer you a job! That's my kind of real world Math right there! (I'm a middle school principal.)

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

lucky2be

First Name
Darwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ/JL Rubicon
Occupation
Farmer
I'd jump at having the dealer do it, if they could also lower the TPMS threshold. If they can't do that, then I'll wait and put the $125 toward a programmer that lets me take care of that, too.
I'd have to doubt any dealer is going to touch the tpms thresholds for us, I vaguely remember there being an episode with ford explorer tires exploding that stopped that whole deal. At least I haven't found any that would do it in the last few vehicles I've bought, saving my 125 for a programmer to fix it all the way I want. Hopefully they'll figure out something shortly.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'd have to doubt any dealer is going to touch the tpms thresholds for us, I vaguely remember there being an episode with ford explorer tires exploding that stopped that whole deal. At least I haven't found any that would do it in the last few vehicles I've bought, saving my 125 for a programmer to fix it all the way I want. Hopefully they'll figure out something shortly.
I could be wrong, but I don’t TPMS sensors were at play with the whole Ford/Firestone debacle. If anything that whole cluster is what brought about the mandate that all vehicles come equipped with TPMS sensors. If what I had heard is correct, the issue at play in the Ford Exporer situation, ford opted to put an LT tire on their passenger SUV and their customers were complaining about how poor the ride was. Their “solution” was to run the tires at a lower PSI to soften up the ride to make customers happy. The problem with that was running the tires at a lower PSI inadvertently caused them overheat causing the bonding agent used adhere the tire tread to the tire carcass to separate.

Parlaying that into current times, auto manufactures don’t want the liability involved with allowing the TPMS thresholds to be changed as it could open them up to lawsuits if there were ever an accident that involved a vehicle that they lowered the thresholds on.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
AEV is currently working on the AEV PROCAL MODULE for application to the JL jeep--

Shouldn't be too long then you can change your driving lites/shifting points/axle ratio and speedo, besides being able to increase jeeps idle speed for up to ten minutes while at rest !

Whatever

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
AEV is currently working on the AEV PROCAL MODULE for application to the JL jeep--

Shouldn't be too long then you can change your driving lites/shifting points/axle ratio and speedo, besides being able to increase jeeps idle speed for up to ten minutes while at rest !

Whatever

JIMBO
Did you get this from AEV? They told me in January it would be at least 6 months. Maybe they are on it now?

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Yes, I talked to AEV last Thursday and they told me that's it's forthcoming !

JIMBO

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I talked to AEV last Thursday and they told me that's it's forthcoming !

JIMBO
Great!! Any news on timeframe?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
No,I just hope it'll be in the next 1 to 2 months--

I'm afraid that we want everything "NOW" and it'll all be "LATER"--

Bummer-

JIMBO

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
When I called a couple of dealers here in Austin, they quoted the fee of $125 but also mentioned I would need to buy a one time license for the programmer module ($200+). Is that accurate?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I called a couple of dealers here in Austin, they quoted the fee of $125 but also mentioned I would need to buy a one time license for the programmer module ($200+). Is that accurate?
Sounds fishy, or like they're planning on using aftermarket modules, as is my dealership. If that is the case, though, if you get to keep the programmer, maybe 300 bucks isn't bad?
Sponsored