First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
So i posted about my battery dying. Got my Rubi March 2019.

They replaced both batteries on warranty but told me that if i disable Auto Start/Stop that my 2nd battery wont charge. They didn't really have an explanation for main battery except that "its florida"...

Then i asked about why i get a rush of hot air randomly coming into the cabin. He told me that's normal and its to get fresh air into the cabin so i wont feel sleep/drowsy with the old air.

I thought if you had AC without the recirculation engaged it was always fresh air? Thats why i can smell the landfill when I drive by.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that dealer may not know squat, but certainly gets an “A” for creativity.

I’d keep asking questions just to see what else they come up with, just for entertainment...

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Using or not using ESS should have no effect on the AUX battery charge or lifespan. The internal vehicle electronics are loaded off that battery instead of the main so that there is no power drop to critical systems when cranking the starter. There is always a draw on the AUX battery and there is always intelligent charging to keep it topped up. If it fails prematurely, it's just a bad battery or too much heat for too long. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get at that little sucker and actually requires a mechanic to change, so they're not to quick to want to cover it on warranty.

So, I call dealer BS.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I also had both my batteries replaced at a year and also live in Florida. Seems like the heat really kills them and the quality isn’t too good. As dfor the hot air, my Wrangler doesn’t do it, but my brothers Gladiator does. I researched it and it said something to the effect of refreshing air in the cabin when the recirculate has been on for a while. Sounds kinda like BS, but there’s been stupider stuff done.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
BTW I never bother disabling ESS. If I want ESS to engage I press down hard on the brake pedal. If I don’t want ESS to engage I press only sufficiently on the brake pedal to hold the car at a stop. Don’t know if this is the way it’s supposed to work but that’s how my 2018 JLU behaves.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
BTW I never bother disabling ESS. If I want ESS to engage I press down hard on the brake pedal. If I don’t want ESS to engage I press only sufficiently on the brake pedal to hold the car at a stop. Don’t know if this is the way it’s supposed to work but that’s how my 2018 JLU behaves.
It is, and thanks for not being another boomer bitching about ESS.
Plus, salmon...mmmmmm.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
It is, and thanks for not being another boomer bitching about ESS.
Plus, salmon...mmmmmm.
My first encounter with ESS was while renting a manual transmission vehicle in Nice. I was confused - I kept restarting the engine with the key thinking that the car had an extra touchy clutch. Basically it was a manual transmission vehicle that had an automatic first gear. I had to make it to middle age before I could afford a vacation with a car rental in the French Riviera. No bitching from me. I hated curmudgeons when I was a kid and determined never to become one myself.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So i posted about my battery dying. Got my Rubi March 2019.

They replaced both batteries on warranty but told me that if i disable Auto Start/Stop that my 2nd battery wont charge. They didn't really have an explanation for main battery except that "its florida"...

Then i asked about why i get a rush of hot air randomly coming into the cabin. He told me that's normal and its to get fresh air into the cabin so i wont feel sleep/drowsy with the old air.

I thought if you had AC without the recirculation engaged it was always fresh air? Thats why i can smell the landfill when I drive by.
I can personally call BS on the ESS being disabled causes the second battery not to charge. My start/stop has been disabled for 2 years via the tazer mini on my 2018 Rubi and I have no issues....so there’s that.....:)

Last edited:

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Heat kills batteries more than cold. People think it’s the opposite because of all the marketing they do around a dead battery leaving you stranded in winter.

G*d-Damn marketing people.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a load of crapola to me. Fool me once shame on you. Twice - it’s on me. I wouldn’t trust anything they said in the future.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad the auxiliary battery not being charged without ESS is false. I’ve been delighted to see the last few weeks “service ESS” when starting. I don’t have to remember to hit the button. I plan to never have it fixed unless it causes another problem.
Sponsored