Dealership B.S.

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
So, I took my 2020 JL to get an oil change and tire rotation. It has just under 10k on it. I brought my 5 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series and Amsoil filter. I am in the waiting room and the service advisor comes and ask " did you bring the 6th quart"? I said no, because it only takes 5. So, he tells me no, it takes 6. He has the tech meet me in the service area. They tell me they put 6 quarts in every 3.6. I downloaded the owners manual because mine was with the Jeep in the back. So, I showed them where it clearly says 5 quarts. They still seem like I am wrong and the assistant service manager gets a little jazzy with his slick mouth. I just said put my 5 quarts in and not a drop more and that I felt bad for all the other JL and Gladiator owners y'all have been overfilling with oil. I said hope nothing bad happens to their engines because of ignorance and pride. I talked to the dealership manager and explained what went down. I also told him about this forum and how others have warned to check for the ignorance of the new 5 quart capacity.
Sponsored

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
So, I took my 2020 JL to get an oil change and tire rotation. It has just under 10k on it. I brought my 5 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series and Amsoil filter. I am in the waiting room and the service advisor comes and ask " did you bring the 6th quart"? I said no, because it only takes 5. So, he tells me no, it takes 6. He has the tech meet me in the service area. They tell me they put 6 quarts in every 3.6. I downloaded the owners manual because mine was with the Jeep in the back. So, I showed them where it clearly says 5 quarts. They still seem like I am wrong and the assistant service manager gets a little jazzy with his slick mouth. I just said put my 5 quarts in and not a drop more and that I felt bad for all the other JL and Gladiator owners y'all have been overfilling with oil. I said hope nothing bad happens to their engines because of ignorance and pride. I talked to the dealership manager and explained what went down. I also told him about this forum and how others have warned to check for the ignorance of the new 5 quart capacity.
I wonder if it's because the 3.6 JKs took 6 quarts?

I went to one of those drive through oil change places and they knew to put in 5 quarts.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I wonder if it's because the 3.6 JKs took 6 quarts?

I went to one of those drive through oil change places and they knew to put in 5 quarts.
I think the odds are much better at getting it done correctly at a quick-lube / drive-through place.

They will look up the capacity. Jeep service departments "know" what it takes and can't be bothered to check.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pathetic this is still going on 3 yrs later!
Just do it yourself, saves a lot of time and you never have to worry that it's been bungled in the several ways that a simple job can be bungled :(

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear of the troubles.

It never seems to amaze me that when some people are provided with an abundance of factual information, they stick to their story. I call this PDF.

Until ~ 7 years ago, I thought PDF was an extension of an Adobe document (i.e., *.PDF). I have since learned that PDF stands for "Pigs Don't Fly." When someone says Pigs Fly; how do you prove that Pigs Don't Fly?

Luckily, based on other information in this forum, typically, a motor can run OK with oil being a quart low or a quart high. However, I don't thinks it's a good idea to run at those extreme levels.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There is really no reason to pay someone to change the oil on a JL. Easiest oil change ever. Buy your favorite flavor in a 5 qt jug and a filter. Remove the plug and drain the oil into a pan, remove filter cartridge from above and replace. After a few minutes, replace drain plug. Pour 5 new quarts in then empty the used oil into the 5 qt jug. Now reset the OLM and write the miles down, and/or use trip 2 like I do. Start it up and let it run for a few minutes then shut it down and check for leaks. Check the dipstick after it has been shut of for a few minutes and you’re good to go. Drop off the used oil at your convenience. This all usually takes less time than it takes to drive to the dealer/shop/quick lube place. Plus you know it was done right.
Sponsored

Last edited: