Dealers Who Did/Didn't Service JLs bought elsewhere

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Folsom CDJR has treated me well, even though I didn’t buy my Jeep there. I had it limping in at two weeks with temporary plates and they didn’t bat an eye.
Sponsored

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
A big thumbs up to Junge Automotive Group in Center Point, IA - A small town dealer that sells a few Jeeps (mostly Ford) but knows me by name and has done quick and flawless warranty work on both of our Wranglers. One was bought from them and one wasn't. They got the JL oil change right the first time without being reminded. I get the same service advisor every time and he's pretty knowledgeable. Got an overnight loaner Wrangler when both of our Jeeps were in to fix the rear defroster.

Golden Turd Award goes to Pat McGrath Dodge Country in Cedar Rapids, IA. - Bought JL there and got a good deal, but Service Department is completely incompetent. They can't get an oil change right, lie about rotating tires, fixed a drivers side washer fluid nozzle but then broke the passenger side (possibly just swapped them). This is why both Jeeps got to Junge. I have no idea if they will work on Jeeps not purchased there. But you don't want them too either. Their body shop is decent though, but I think that's a different manager.

Ripcord

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I am the Director of Jeep Homeland, a cool off-road track built at a Jeep dealership here in Savannah, GA. The store is part of Step One Automotive Group who has 5 CDJR stores across Georgia and the panhandle of Florida. Any of our stores will gladly service a Jeep or any other vehicle, regardless of where it was purchased. In fact, we LOVE that we get vehicles in our service department that were purchased elsewhere. It is opportunity for us to hopefully do right by that customer, and make them one of our future customers down the road (not to mention to opportunity for any referrals that service customer might know).

@crazychile makes a great point though. Our service departments see nearly 100 cars a day through the lanes, even at our smaller stores. With only a handful of lifts/bays to do the work, we get backed up quickly. So if there is a huge demand for recall work, it can often times be difficult to schedule routine maintenance in a timely manner. We had someone who's Jeep broke down in the parking lot at Publix last month. I actually helped the lady make some phone calls and sat with her in the nearly empty parking lot with my wife and daughter until her husband came to get her. When they brought the Jeep to our store, they were told it would be 10 days before service could take a look because we were so backed up. I know it's incredibly frustrating to hear such news, but for those other vehicles that were already scheduled, it would be wrong for us to "bump" those customers farther back in line to wait even longer because a new Jeep came in the shop. Service is one of the most difficult jobs at the dealership, as those guys are already working with customers who are upset at the situation, and bad news only makes things worse. There are plenty of bad apples out there who create nightmare situations, but for most, the service advisors are normal people who are trying to handle very difficult situations.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for your perspective and kind actions Jason @Ripcord .

• Most dealer employees would prefer to do the right thing.
  • Many employees, particular at Jeep, and particular at service also love the rigs themselves.
  • Many employees who turn away your warranty work don't like to but are forced to take on the jobs that show the dealership owner(s) maximum service profit on things like out of warranty work.
  • Many dealers, as Jason said, warmly welcome the opportunity for, through service, to bring a potential future customer, who didn't buy their rig being serviced at that dealer, into the dealership's fold.
  • Many service techs would pull over for a disabled Jeep product.
  • All dealerships are not equal. Some service a larger (maybe more rural) area with less competition and are not only forced to prioritize who they service, but can, because the next dealer isn't 5 miles up the road but 50.
  • Most owners wished FCA paid for warranty work more on par with what the market supports for out of warranty work, especially when this very warranty work the dealer is getting paid less for by FCA may be partly attributed back to lacking FCA design.
  • Service work is never easy. Even in the best case scenario: free routine maintenance, the customer can be annoyed that they must be without their vehicle for a time. It only gets worse when the time to wait for an appointment, effect a repair once work begins, and cost add to the bad feelings.

Kirby

First Name
Kirby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Chrysler on Figueroa in Los Angeles would not service my sister’s car because she didn’t buy it there.
I have to defend these guys. I have my JLUR here for service right now (needs a new transmission after only 8800 miles and several other issues being addressed).

I live in Playa Vista so I first tried Nissani Jeep a couple blocks from me. They said drop it off, wait 2 days, they will let me know if they want to fix it, and THEN get on their waiting list for a loaner car. They said if you don't like it, or if you don't have a 2nd vehicle to drive then we're probably not the service dept for you.

Next I tried Santa Monica Jeep, where I have been previously to fix the "Service Axle Locker System" issue which only lasted 3 weeks, and also they replaced my broken center console latch but forgot to reinstall the lock so just left a plastic tab in there. This time they said they no longer do rental cars and don't have loaners either.

3rd place I called was Los Angeles CDJR. They said they will get me a rental car no problem, even though I didn't buy from them (I bought it from Glendale and they would have been my next call though it's a long drive). I needed the transmission issue looked at (hard shift from 3-4 and turns out it needs to be replaced). I need the service axle locker issue addressed again. I need the center console lock installed. And I need the steering dampener recall performed.

They got me a rental car. Then when I found out it was going to be a while, probably a month or more, they offered to give me a brand new wrangler loaner they just got in. I wish they were keeping me better informed about the whole process, but overall I can't complain compared to the other two dealers I tried before them.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I have to defend these guys. I have my JLUR here for service right now (needs a new transmission after only 8800 miles and several other issues being addressed).

I live in Playa Vista so I first tried Nissani Jeep a couple blocks from me. They said drop it off, wait 2 days, they will let me know if they want to fix it, and THEN get on their waiting list for a loaner car. They said if you don't like it, or if you don't have a 2nd vehicle to drive then we're probably not the service dept for you.

Next I tried Santa Monica Jeep, where I have been previously to fix the "Service Axle Locker System" issue which only lasted 3 weeks, and also they replaced my broken center console latch but forgot to reinstall the lock so just left a plastic tab in there. This time they said they no longer do rental cars and don't have loaners either.

3rd place I called was Los Angeles CDJR. They said they will get me a rental car no problem, even though I didn't buy from them (I bought it from Glendale and they would have been my next call though it's a long drive). I needed the transmission issue looked at (hard shift from 3-4 and turns out it needs to be replaced). I need the service axle locker issue addressed again. I need the center console lock installed. And I need the steering dampener recall performed.

They got me a rental car. Then when I found out it was going to be a while, probably a month or more, they offered to give me a brand new wrangler loaner they just got in. I wish they were keeping me better informed about the whole process, but overall I can't complain compared to the other two dealers I tried before them.
Wow, you got lucky! Glad they are being good to you :like:
Sponsored