First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’ve been letting overpriced and under-qualified, and especially don’t give-a-shit morons wrench on my vehicles for too damn long.

I used to wrench quite a bit, but as I got more affluent, and the vehicles got more complicated, I stopped.

My time was worth more to me than the cost of having others do my dirty work, and in many cases I was simply clueless.

Computers and such.

And you know, that worked for a while. No longer.

I have no confidence in the folks who charge me $110/hour to service my Jeep.

The bright side? It feels really good to be back in control.

It’s fun again, to take care of my own bidness, to the extent that I can. And I can, to a large extent.

Twisting wrenches on my baby ain’t the worst way to spend an afternoon, and the sense of knowing it’s done right, and if it ain’t, it’s all on me, is gratifying.

The only downside is I won’t be able to keep vehicles long-term anymore.

Unless it’s been problem-free when the warranty runs out, it’s gone.

Edit: Btw, @Stickerhead and @UKCATS were really influential to me in this regard.
Thanks to them.
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was what we called a "Shade Tree" mechanic for years. Basically I could do the little stuff that entailed regular maintenance. Like you Joe, as I became more mature I let others do those jobs. Now every engine you see has some type of plastic cover on top. That tells me I probably have no business messing with something that is ran by a computer. Thankfully I still have my Dad's '67 Camaro. As I'm sure you know I can tune that thing up, and set the gaps using a matchbook cover. The only problem now is no one uses matches anymore........;):)

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Setting point gap with a matchbook cover....that’s a trip down memory lane.

And pulling over when crossing Colorado passes to adjust timing by giving the distributor a twist...by ear.

Damn I’m old.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Setting point gap with a matchbook cover....that’s a trip down memory lane.

And pulling over when crossing Colorado passes to adjust timing by giving the distributor a twist...by ear.

Damn I’m old.
You're not in that boat alone brother. :)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I’ve been letting overpriced and under-qualified, and especially don’t give-a-shit morons wrench on my vehicles for too damn long.

I used to wrench quite a bit, but as I got more affluent, and the vehicles got more complicated, I stopped.

My time was worth more to me than the cost of having others do my dirty work, and in many cases I was simply clueless.

Computers and such.

It’s fun again, to take care of my own bidness, to the extent that I can. And I can, to a large extent.

Twisting wrenches on my baby ain’t the worst way to spend an afternoon, and the sense of knowing it’s done right, and if it ain’t, it’s all on me, is gratifying.

Edit: Btw, @Stickerhead and @UKCATS were really influential to me in this regard.
Thanks to them.
I gotcha and know exactly what you mean. The passion and attention to detail is getting harder and harder to find

Brett

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Even the wrenches changed... I realized my old tools from the 80s (my newer stuff) are all sae.
Probably jsut as well, I went through and bought sets of metric stuff.

I laughed when I saw some of my tools were from Grand auto, they have been out of bussines for a while now it seems.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was what we called a "Shade Tree" mechanic for years. Basically I could do the little stuff that entailed regular maintenance. Like you Joe, as I became more mature I let others do those jobs. Now every engine you see has some type of plastic cover on top. That tells me I probably have no business messing with something that is ran by a computer. Thankfully I still have my Dad's '67 Camaro. As I'm sure you know I can tune that thing up, and set the gaps using a matchbook cover. The only problem now is no one uses matches anymore........;):)
I’ve got some for ya brother lol

Was reading your post and got to the matches part and looked over and boom I had a set right there haha

106FE866-8A40-4C6F-BD73-F918F77141B2.jpeg

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Computers and such.

Thanks to them.
Heck, I would prefer Stickerhead do all my wrenching for me. But he won’t.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I’ve got some for ya brother lol

Was reading your post and got to the matches part and looked over and boom I had a set right there haha

106FE866-8A40-4C6F-BD73-F918F77141B2.jpeg
I'd be more impressed if you were able to find some "strike anywhere" ones. Ah the good 'ol days. ;)

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be more impressed if you were able to find some "strike anywhere" ones. Ah the good 'ol days. ;)
Haha for some reason most gas stations in Florida have those in small “books” like the ones that used to be in MRE’s. Maybe it’s a southern thang, I mean thing lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Even the wrenches changed... I realized my old tools from the 80s (my newer stuff) are all sae.
Probably jsut as well, I went through and bought sets of metric stuff.

I laughed when I saw some of my tools were from Grand auto, they have been out of bussines for a while now it seems.
I’ve just got them all jumbled together in an ammo can. If it fits, I’ll give it a twist. Lots of machinery is a mix anyway. 7/8” and 22mm will both work fine on a JL lugnut. Less than ten-thousandths” difference. Other sizes are similarly close, I’ve found.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
I used to wrench on my JKU , Jeeps, Audi’s and Vdubs. But after receiving titanium in the back, and knee I’ve slowed waaay down. I’m still a mechanic at work but not a car mechanic.

Maybe I can convince UKats to wrench on my Jeep for some Chickfila and a few atta boys!! :like:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
M
I used to wrench on my JKU , Jeeps, Audi’s and Vdubs. But after receiving titanium in the back, and knee I’ve slowed waaay down. I’m still a mechanic at work but not a car mechanic.

Maybe I can convince UKats to wrench on my Jeep for some Chickfila and a few atta boys!! :like:
Me too! I'll throw in the beer and moonshine:like:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

M

Me too! I'll throw in the beer and moonshine:like:
As I did my lift a couple weekends ago, I seriously contemplated letting a shop do the next one. But, if y’all drive to Texas, we will work it out.

Adding my skid plates this weekend. At my friends house. Where he has a air conditioned shop with a lift. That will be a nice change.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue

Computers and such.

Thanks to them.
We're brothers from different mothers. I can relate.

It turns my stomach whenever I read about how the Jeep dealers are consistently putting too much oil in the Jeep with the oil changes. CHECK IT YOU MORON!!!! Oil Change 101: After performing an oil change, bring the engine up to operating temperature, or close, turn the engine off for a few minutes then check for leaks AND check the oil level. Add or subtract, but make the level perfect! While, what a concept, right? I too have let others do my dirty work. I have to be very careful with my hands. In my line of work as a chiropractor, even a small cut on my hand or fingers is devastating. I can't work wearing a band-aid and my patients don't appreciate me bleeding on them either! Lol! But, I'm looking forward to getting my new JLRU and doing my own maintenance work, like oil changes, where I can ensure the work is done right and the correct amount of oil is in the engine. I just need to wear my examination gloves when the hood is up! :rock:
Sponsored