Sponsored

Dealers now demanding a new $170 contract with tire size flash!

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
At the dealership now getting my rubicon flashed for the new 35” tires I installed. I was told $130 to flash by 2 different dealerships. Made an appointment and here for the flash. After waiting an hour they show me a new contract from FCA that I have to sign before they will flash it. The cost of this one time contract is $170 as of 5/8/2018. So, now $300 for the flash to keep all your warranties intact.:angry: Crazy FCA! Money, Money, Money. Anyone else running into this new FCA bulletin?
Correction $175
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For $300 you could buy one of the available flash devices and do it yourself, as well as a host of other features. Tazer JL and Superchips are both available now.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For $300 you could buy one of the available flash devices and do it yourself, as well as a host of other features. Tazer JL and Superchips are both available now.
Yep, that is what I did............

OP
OP
BBDOC

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was going to do the same thing. But, I bought the lifetime warranty and paid maintenance with my Jeep and they made it sound like I would void that somehow.:mad:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was going to do the same thing. But, I bought the lifetime warranty and paid maintenance with my Jeep and they made it sound like I would void that somehow.:mad:
Dealers lie. It won’t.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
They can see that your ecu's been touched with the Tazer

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
They can see that your ecu's been touched with the Tazer
@Covfefe

ANYONE that has used any programmer with any vehicle over the years, knows the drill lets call it, in regard to programmer's and the dealership service department. The drill will be no different with the SuperChips JL or the Tazer JL programmer's.

Last edited:

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
has anyone heard of an actual case where warranty work has been denied because the ecu has been flashed? To my understanding, that's all they they can see...the number of times that it's been modified, correct? Their own flashing will cause that counter to go up. Having my warranty voided is definitely a concern of mine. I now have bigger tires on and want to get it updated. I also love all the things you can do with the tazer. I bought the flashcal for my '14 JKUR but only after the warranty had expired.

Thoughts?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused, they raised it from the $125-130 to $175 or you saying they raised it $175 to be $300 total?

I paid $125 or $130 for them to do the service contract but that was like a month ago.

OP
OP
BBDOC

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the drill? I have never had a vehicle with a lifetime warranty, so this is new to me. After the warranty ends most people will do what ever they want to a vehicle, but while under warranty you need to be very careful. Most people need the manufacturer to continue to stand behind their product.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BBDOC

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
image.jpg
In the middle of the flash they need to send for a code from FCA to finish. $305 total.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
has anyone heard of an actual case where warranty work has been denied because the ecu has been flashed? To my understanding, that's all they they can see...the number of times that it's been modified, correct? Their own flashing will cause that counter to go up. Having my warranty voided is definitely a concern of mine. I now have bigger tires on and want to get it updated. I also love all the things you can do with the tazer. I bought the flashcal for my '14 JKUR but only after the warranty had expired.

Thoughts?
I have no knowledge of this on Jeep or any FCA vehicles. However I do know for that Audi and Nissan have both denied warranty claims related to non-dealership flash tuning. More accurately, the vehicle is flagged and warranty work may potentially be denied based on whether the unauthorized modification could have affected the issue that caused it to require warranty service. It is not an "automatically voided warranty." They can see if the flash was done through their dealership network or elsewhere.

VW/Audi has a "blacklist" (Goolge "Audi TD1") that your vehicle may end up on if it is detected that any entity other than Audi USA has flashed the vehicle. I cannot confirm if they still do it every time, but at one point they were checking vehicles every time they were brought in for service, warranty work or not. If you have a flashed engine tune and have a powertrain failure you are SOL. If you have a flashed engine tune and have bad frame welds, or paint issues, you are likely to be OK because it is completely unrelated. Since flash tuning accessed the electrical system, it is likely that any electrical issue would be rejected for a warranty claim.

The Nissan GTR used to have a notoriously restrictive warranty. They would deny warranty service if an owner denied them access to black box data. If they accessed said data and found any non Nissan tampering, you were SOL. I only had one briefly and never had to deal with that personally but the subsequent owner did.

TLDR; if you are very concerned with preservation of warranty, a flash may not be the way to go. However, YMMV. I can't say from experience whether Jeep/FCA is as restrictive as other makes.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My second cousin knew a guy who lived abroad who had a sister living in Alaska who's brother-in-law in Florida talked about warranty work with a dealer once. Almost.
I think my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate knows that guy! I'll reach out.

OP
OP
BBDOC

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:cwl::cwl::cwl:​
Sponsored