Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Once you receive your VIN can you change your color choice or add on am additional option? I don't plan on this but just curious as that crossed my mind today and I'm sure lots of people have last minute changes they may wonder if they can change before their build gets too far along in the process.
I believe once the VIN is generated, any changes to the order would require submitting a new order. I'm not 100% certain on this though, so don't take this as gospel.
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I have another question. Are the discounts on the spreadsheet only for builds, or will the dealers offer them on the ones already on their lot (or another lot if they didn’t have what you want and could locate one)? I’m not overly excited about the 2022 color choices. I really liked the Gecko, if I could find a build I liked already on a lot somewhere.
Historically these deals have been exclusively for custom orders and, due to the lack of new vehicle inventory nationwide at the moment, I'd wager that is more the case now than ever before. That said, I don't think I've ever read that the Affiliates program is only available for custom orders, so if you found a Gecko on a dealer lot you really wanted, you could (hopefully) still come away with a 1% below invoice price which is a decent deal in itself. Maybe not the absolute best deal imaginable, but far better than the heaps of folks who are walking into a dealership and paying MSRP or more.

EaGLe02

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, GMC Sierra
Historically these deals have been exclusively for custom orders and, due to the lack of new vehicle inventory nationwide at the moment, I'd wager that is more the case now than ever before. That said, I don't think I've ever read that the Affiliates program is only available for custom orders, so if you found a Gecko on a dealer lot you really wanted, you could (hopefully) still come away with a 1% below invoice price which is a decent deal in itself. Maybe not the absolute best deal imaginable, but far better than the heaps of folks who are walking into a dealership and paying MSRP or more.
👍🏻 Thanks.

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
What program are you referring to? If you're referring to the Affiliates program, it comes and goes for Jeep Wranglers throughout the model year based on the direction of Jeep corporate. I suppose there's no guarantee that it will always come back if it isn't offered at the time you are ready to make your purchase, but the program has been around for years off-and-on, so if I were in your shoes, I would place higher value on getting exactly what I want than getting an order in before the Affiliates program goes away.

On a side note, fellow Montanan here, temporarily displaced to Idaho. Maybe give Kent Shurtleff a call at Peterson Jeep in Nampa, ID. Be a heckuva lot closer to you than Tennessee, and he is another of the popular volume dealers that has a good reputation on this forum. I can't speak with 100% confidence, but I do have a Jeep presently ordered through him and, thus far, there haven't been any red flags. My price, locked in when I placed the order (which was before the most recent price hike) was around 6% below invoice at the time. I'll be happy to report my experience with Kent once the deal is done, but all indications is that the deal will go through exactly as it was agreed upon at time of order.

Most all the volume dealerships talked about on this forum offer price protection, meaning once you've placed your order the dealer will protect that price even if the prices get hiked from Jeep (like they did on the 17th of this month). That said, there's at least one of the big volume dealerships back east that says it won't price protect anymore, so whichever dealer you go through, just get that price protection commitment from them before deciding to give them your business.

As for the price increases from Jeep, here are two pieces of anecdotal evidence:

I ordered my 2020 Wrangler in June of 2020. The MSRP on the window sticker was $51,650. Building the exact same Wrangler on Jeeps website tonight (which doesn't yet reflect the price increase from the 17th), the MSRP would be $52,235. The only difference between the two would be that the engine block heater is no longer offered as a factory option, which was $95 in 2020. So the price difference from the summer of 2020 to 10 days ago was $680 on this one particular example.

The second example is that I placed an order for a 2022 Wrangler on the 12th of this month. The MSRP, at time of order, was $59,335. Using the post-17th pricing that is available on these forums, this exact Jeep increased in MSRP to $61,365, an increase of $2,030.
Dang, sounds like I just missed getting in before that $2k price jump. Yeah, well the best time to buy one is yesterday; I assume prices will only continue to rise.

I was referring to the dealers giving 6% off mainly in asking how long this "program" has been around for. Sounds like they have been doing it for years??

Thanks for the info.

Anything else to watch out for before placing my order?

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Dang, sounds like I just missed getting in before that $2k price jump. Yeah, well the best time to buy one is yesterday; I assume prices will only continue to rise.

I was referring to the dealers giving 6% off mainly in asking how long this "program" has been around for. Sounds like they have been doing it for years??

Thanks for the info.

Anything else to watch out for before placing my order?
The price hike on the 17th varied depending on the particular build. There is one other type of build that I've been looking into and the difference in the pre-17th MSRP and post-17th MSRP of that build is $1,015. Either way, as you alluded to, what's done is done and the price now is what it is and likely won't ever trend the other direction.

The dealers pricing at ~6% under invoice isn't really any kind of "program" so to speak; it's more just the high-volume dealers around the country all coming in at a price that lets them move a ton of units because there are some quarterly and annual incentives from the manufacturer based on number of vehicles sold. Most of the time that price also involves them giving up their holdback and, often, the price is contingent on you financing through them so they get a little kickback that way as well. Now, typically these prices are also contingent on the Affiliates program being active because they compound on the 1% below invoice standard pricepoint from the Affiliates system and that is what allows them to get to ~6% under invoice in their final sales price offer. So, if the Affiliates program isn't active when you look to place your order that will likely affect your chances of finding a dealer that will give you a sale at 6% under invoice. If that happens to be the case, so long as you're in a position where you can hold off ordering, your best best would probably be to just wait until the Affiliates program reinstated and place your order then.

Yes, the ~6% off invoice deal has been around with various dealers across the country for a good long while, at least with Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles. My personal anecdotal history is as follows:

I bought my first brand new vehicle, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, in December 2007 for $13,000 under MSRP at Steve White motors in Hickory, NC, because they were offering this kind of discount on custom orders. I bought my Hellcat Challenger in 2015 from Lakeland Dodge in Lakeland, Florida under the same principles. And I ordered my 2020 Jeep from Mac Haik in Georgetown, Texas in the summer of 2020 because I was on a work assignment in Houston and they matched the pricing that places like Peterson were offering without the cross-country drive. This time, for my 2022 Jeep, I'm going through Peterson in Nampa because Kent's dealership is less than 10 minutes from my house at the moment. All of these deals have gone very smooth for me (so far) with no surprises when it comes time to pick the vehicle up and sign the paperwork.

Think to watch out for (that have worked well for me thus far):
- Make sure you get your full quote in writing.
- Double check to ensure that the order the dealer is putting in is EXACTLY how you want your new Jeep to be built.
- Don't be afraid to call the dealerships on the phone when doing your shopping, but tell the dealers right up front that you expect anything discussed on the phone to be sent to you in an email for your records.
- Keep your options open for dealer financing/cash payout/buyer-sourced financing. I had no intentions of financing my 2020 Jeep, but Mac Haik knocked another $1000 off the sales price if I financed through them and then offered me the 0% interest for 36 months through Chrysler Capital.
- Be friendly with the dealers, but firm on exactly what you want and what you're willing to pay. No point in going into the conversation with a defensive tone, but establish right from the start that you've done your research, you know what the deals are to be had, you know exactly what you want, and you want to give them the opportunity to earn your business.
- Have fun! I've been EXTREMELY fortunate to be able to purchase a brand new automobile 3 (soon to be 4) times in my 41 years and each time picking up my brand new vehicle, built EXACTLY how I wanted it to be built, with my hecking name on the window sticker "This vehicle built for ..." has been an incredibly exciting and rewarding experience. You're getting a brand new Jeep! It's time to celebrate!

Nothing fancy to it; just being honest and friendly but careful and concise. So far it has worked for me.

Sponsored

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
There have been at least 3 increases since June 2021 when I ordered my '21.
I don't imagine that Jeep will ever lower their prices after things settle down with covid and supply chain.

Have they ever had a price drop in relatively recent history?

OffRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I don't imagine that Jeep will ever lower their prices after things settle down with covid and supply chain.

Have they ever had a price drop in relatively recent history?
Not sure if it's considered a drop, but the jeep I'm configuring went down in total about $2k when going between 2021 and 2022 models, because some stuff got included in the base Rubicon model. So, while the base price went up, some options were automatically included so overall cost went down.

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Is there any danger to asking a local dealer if they will price match the deals the "volume dealers" are offering? It would be nice to be able to get it locally, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I highly doubt that they will bite, even if I do ask.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Is there any danger to asking a local dealer if they will price match the deals the "volume dealers" are offering? It would be nice to be able to get it locally, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I highly doubt that they will bite, even if I do ask.
It's free to ask. I'd shop it around to all of your local dealers if you don't feel like traveling.

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
None whatsoever. The high volume dealers aren't doing anything below board with their offering, they have just found a different way to turn a profit through volume incentives rather than on each individual sale. As a matter of fact, when I got my order quote from Kent at Peterson for my 2022 and told him I wanted to run the numbers and think on it, he suggested I shop around and call other dealers and see if they would beat his price and, if they did, to let him know and he would do his best to match it.

I would personally blanket cover and email every dealer within a reasonable driving distance and ask them to to match the figure you want to see and that you think the volume dealers will get you. Worst that can happen is you send ~50 emails and get about 3 back, all saying no thanks except for one whom says "we can do that," which is what happened to me in 2020.

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
None whatsoever. The high volume dealers aren't doing anything below board with their offering, they have just found a different way to turn a profit through volume incentives rather than on each individual sale. As a matter of fact, when I got my order quote from Kent at Peterson for my 2022 and told him I wanted to run the numbers and think on it, he suggested I shop around and call other dealers and see if they would beat his price and, if they did, to let him know and he would do his best to match it.

I would personally blanket cover and email every dealer within a reasonable driving distance and ask them to to match the figure you want to see and that you think the volume dealers will get you. Worst that can happen is you send ~50 emails and get about 3 back, all saying no thanks except for one whom says "we can do that," which is what happened to me in 2020.
What % below invoice did Kent end up offering you? I can't remember if I read it in one of our many conversations...

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
What % below invoice did Kent end up offering you? I can't remember if I read it in one of our many conversations...
It wound up being right at 6% below invoice before the Jan 17th price hike. It'll likely wind up being a little over 8% below invoice with the new pricing, but my situation is a bit unique in that I put the order in mere days before the prices jumped.

I think 6% below invoice seems to be a good average of all the high volume dealers. Sometimes a particular build gets in closer to 7% below, sometimes its closer to 5% below (my 2020 JLUR order was 5.1% below), but I think 6% is pretty much the median, based on my own casual observations of what has been self-reported by folks on this forum.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It wound up being right at 6% below invoice before the Jan 17th price hike. It'll likely wind up being a little over 8% below invoice with the new pricing, but my situation is a bit unique in that I put the order in mere days before the prices jumped.

I think 6% below invoice seems to be a good average of all the high volume dealers. Sometimes a particular build gets in closer to 7% below, sometimes its closer to 5% below (my 2020 JLUR order was 5.1% below), but I think 6% is pretty much the median, based on my own casual observations of what has been self-reported by folks on this forum.
Take higher DOC fees into consideration It's a lot closer to 5%-5.5% after you strip off the higher docs fees. Plus any travel expenses and travel time. For me it was still way worth having to drive 3 hours each way. I'd definitely do it again. I bought 4 of my last 5 cars like this.

Last edited:

musicforme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X v6, Auto, Step-Assist Rock Rails
I did this when I ordered my JKUR in 2013. I emailed around 20 dealers. I'm pretty sure just about all of them replied. It was way too much, lol. When I order my next Jeep in March I'm going to contact no more than 4 dealers in my immediate area before I go out of state.
Sponsored