Dealer wants me to sign a new lease contract

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I would have told the dealer that the new Jeep was rear-ended last night and towed to the insurance yard. Do you want me to fix it before I return it or will you fix it.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
OP what is the update? Been awhile.
She most likely signed the contract and is now ignoring this thread, pretending it doesn’t exist.
Dyno- Mite in a Fish Pond, where is the OP after instigating this Ruckus ??
Good question. She probably signed the contract and is now ignoring this thread and all the advice in it.

Since this is most likely the case and the advice given here has been mostly good, I’m going to muddy up the waters and give some bad advice.

BadAdvice:

She should sign the contract and follow it up with another $5k check to the dealer.:CWL:

/BadAdvice

Useless, bad advice. Kind of like jumping on a forum, asking for advice and then abandoning the thread. Ironically, this thread hasn’t YET derailed. Astonishing!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Last time I walked into a dealership it smelled like hair gel and they appeared to have been forced to have slacks, dress shirts, and ties on. Worst dealership experience in my life .... ever.
Well, when they ask you, “what can I do to earn your business today?” ask them to do the hokey pokey and turn themselves around. And when they do and turn around, you’re already out the door. Because, that’s what it’s all about.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Could not disagree more. The dealership is assuming they are in a stronger negotiation perspective than OP because they have more knowledge of lease law. (and likely, a bit of sexism)

Getting an attorney involved levels the playing field; or more likely, tips it in the favor of OP. As someone with a law degree, here would be my advice. Find a friend who is an attorney. Have them call the dealership, state they are calling on your behalf, and ask them to explain the situation. The simple act of having an attorney make that phone call with signal that you're not going to be pushed around. And there's a 90% chance the dealership will relent immediately, because they realize the cost of fighting you is way more than any loss they'd eat from making a bad deal.
My last words on this:

You're making assumptions on what they're thinking and motivation because of sexism?

Getting an attorney for advice is one thing but if you think that it levels the playing field.....not even close. I'm very close and social with my dealer who owns 14 new car lots and I've had many conversations regarding these type of situations.
He has legal counsel as part of his corporate staff that simply deals with legal issues. The "Chief Counsel" probably has his own staff of several people. Other than filing fees it doesn't cost the dealer anything to deal with a single case, he already is paying the overhead.

I go back to my first statement, you don't necessarily have all of the facts. There is always more to the story. I have read so many threads where little facts seem to ooze out of the conversations as the thread progressives it totally dilutes the accusations. I'm not indicating the OP is lying or intentionally misleading us but his is only one side of the story.

As my first boss said, "stop screwing around, go work it out"!

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
She most likely signed the contract and is now ignoring this thread, pretending it doesn’t exist.
Good question. She probably signed the contract and is now ignoring this thread and all the advice in it.

Since this is most likely the case and the advice given here has been mostly good, I’m going to muddy up the waters and give some bad advice.

BadAdvice:

She should sign the contract and follow it up with another $5k check to the dealer.:CWL:

/BadAdvice

Useless, bad advice. Kind of like jumping on a forum, asking for advice and then abandoning the thread. Ironically, this thread hasn’t YET derailed. Astonishing!
There is so much that doesn't make sense. Glad you pointed out the abandonment!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I don’t think she’s coming back. Hasn’t logged on since the post was made. Unless....a known member here made it under a new name so as not to embarass themselves.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I didn't want to purchase. I am a new Jeep owner and I change vehicles often.
Maybe you should buy a Jeep, I had a 2015 jku, paid 32,000 for it, 4 years later and 50,000 miles, it was totaled in an accident, insurance company gave me 28,000, 4,000 divided by 48 months=83.33 a month.
Jeeps hold their own!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Maybe you should buy a Jeep, I had a 2015 jku, paid 32,000 for it, 4 years later and 50,000 miles, it was totaled in an accident, insurance company gave me 28,000, 4,000 divided by 48 months=83.33 a month.
Jeeps hold their own!
Rarely can you get those who lease to understand the economic benefit of a purchase vs a long term rental agreement. Almost always a lease is less flexible than a purchase. After 7 months of ownership I could trade for what I owe or more. You can’t do that with a lease. Many times a dealer will inspect a lease return and rack up more fees that get rolled over into the next lease. If you can write the cost of a lease of in taxes, that’s about the only way they make sense. A Wrangler just doesn’t lease well. An Audi or a Jag, maybe. A box truck for a business, yes.
Sponsored