Sponsored

Dealer wants me to sign a new lease contract

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Many dealers allow a lot of senior staff off durning the holidays. When they return, they have to clean up the mess.

This sounds silly, but here’s how I initially judge a dealer and whether or not I want to try do do business with them.
-Does the staff dress like Chris in the Sopranos? Or the Jehova’s Witness knocking on your door? Bad dress clothes, gelled hair, cartoon ties etc. I prerfer a place where they wear polo shirts and jeans.
-Is the first thing the sales rep asks after a limp handshake is what kind of payment I’m looking for. Just ask me what I’m interested in and tell me what the buy it now price is. I can figure payments out on my own.

If I walk into a dealer like that, I turn around and leave. That’s probably why I’ve never owned a Toyota or Honda. But many Jeep dealers are getting this bad.
This guy right here! Last time I walked into a dealership it smelled like hair gel and they appeared to have been forced to have slacks, dress shirts, and ties on. Worst dealership experience in my life .... ever. The other one I went to, jeans, polo shirts, hoodies if they were cold, ball caps, super laid back and chill ... no BS, straight forward, and not a single issue to this day. They are not a high volume dealer for Jeep brand, but we negotiated down a bit in price and service has been absolutely amazing.
Sponsored

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
A signed contract is binding. I’d contact an attorney and have him reach out to the dealership. If they believe that you’re serious, they’ll probably honor the deal. It appears to be a no win situation for them.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This guy right here! Last time I walked into a dealership it smelled like hair gel and they appeared to have been forced to have slacks, dress shirts, and ties on. Worst dealership experience in my life .... ever. The other one I went to, jeans, polo shirts, hoodies if they were cold, ball caps, super laid back and chill ... no BS, straight forward, and not a single issue to this day. They are not a high volume dealer for Jeep brand, but we negotiated down a bit in price and service has been absolutely amazing.
Easy to see what the attitude of management is by looking at the employees, how they dress and how they carry themselves.

Another thing that will make me walk away is if the sales rep gets a 4 square form out and starts with that BS. No one should ever get caught in that game.

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Easy to see what the attitude of management is by looking at the employees, how they dress and how they carry themselves.

Another thing that will make me walk away is if the sales rep gets a 4 square form out and starts with that BS. No one should ever get caught in that game.
Only 4 square I know involves a large inflated ball and the probability of someone getting hurt.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Yep. Best post so far. All the suggestions of retaining an attorney are hogwash. Waste of time and money. We are not talking wrongful death here.

Sam
You're absolutely right! I was federal prosecutor for several years and the last thing you do is get lawyers involved. Once you start down that money hole the party to party discussions are over and now you start mailing checks!

For some reason there are a bunch of folks on here that feel good because they retain representation. A "hired gun" so to speak! The lawyers love the drama and good ones just make you tear up on how well you're going to prevail. Notice how both parties are right but only one party wins? 50% outcome, although that's probably better than a weatherman!

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
A signed contract is binding. I’d contact an attorney and have him reach out to the dealership. If they believe that you’re serious, they’ll probably honor the deal. It appears to be a no win situation for them.
But....we don't have all of the details.

Leave the attorney out until you can't negotiate any further.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Honestly, no way would I retain an attorney for this matter. Just not worth the life hassle. I'd work on two things at this point -

1. Canceling the first lease contract.
2. Getting an Uber to another Jeep dealer

Reality is Jeep's are plentiful as are the dealers. No way would I give them my money. Free market and all that...

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I guess I'd do one more thing - Call FCA and tell them your story about the dealer. But there isn't an offer they could put on the table that I would take at this point (who knows - they might even take that offer back in 3 weeks...)

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
But....we don't have all of the details.

Leave the attorney out until you can't negotiate any further.
Could not disagree more. The dealership is assuming they are in a stronger negotiation perspective than OP because they have more knowledge of lease law. (and likely, a bit of sexism)

Getting an attorney involved levels the playing field; or more likely, tips it in the favor of OP. As someone with a law degree, here would be my advice. Find a friend who is an attorney. Have them call the dealership, state they are calling on your behalf, and ask them to explain the situation. The simple act of having an attorney make that phone call with signal that you're not going to be pushed around. And there's a 90% chance the dealership will relent immediately, because they realize the cost of fighting you is way more than any loss they'd eat from making a bad deal.

Sponsored

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
As others have said, there is probably a good chance you signed something that said in case of a mistake the dealer can bring you back to rectify it. That's usually pretty standard.

If it were me (I know you have read a lot of opinions on here) is that I would first and foremost contact the dealer and work something out. $150 monthly payment difference is crazy, its not like 10-15 dollars a month. I would also straight up ask them what they made the mistake on, was it the money factor, residual value? etc. Find out what the issue is and then try to work out a compromise.

I am not sure what a lawyer would be able to do especially if you signed certain documentation. To me that's a last resort.

1. Try to find a compromise (and find out the issue
2. If it cant be had, walk away (assuming you lose nothing in this case money wise, right?)

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I can’t imagine how anybody could change a signed contract, maybe cancel it but it doesn’t make sense that it can be changed.
Just think about it for a minute, you go buy a new vehicle, agree on a price and after the deal is done and paid for the dealer says, “oh yeah, we forgot to charge you an additional 20% mark-up, how would you like to pay it now”

Anybody have their lease agreement handy to read the fine print for us?

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I can’t imagine how anybody could change a signed contract, maybe cancel it but it doesn’t make sense that it can be changed.
Just think about it for a minute, you go buy a new vehicle, agree on a price and after the deal is done and paid for the dealer says, “oh yeah, we forgot to charge you an additional 20% mark-up, how would you like to pay it now”

Anybody have their lease agreement handy to read the fine print for us?

From stories I have heard that's usually not the scenario, it's usually an error between sales-finance or finance-the bank that ultimately approves everything. Especially during a holiday or weekend where the bank is not open.

By no means am I defending stuff like this, it's just what I hear from other car forums that I am on. Bank comes back and says oh no that MF is actually wrong now, or residual.

That being said I am curious what this error was, $150 a month difference seems quite major. I hope the OP comes back.