First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
$150 is a big jump on a lease payment, especially when you put another 5k down. If you went from a 2 door base sport to a loaded Altitude I wouldn't be as shocked. People make mistakes but you held all the cards, a signed contract is a signed contract. Possession is 9/10 law and now they have the vehicle but IMO, if you still have all the signed paperwork, it's still your vehicle now sitting in their lot. Before you mention 'lawyer' I'd make an appointment and ask that they explain everything in detail including their mistake again. I'd also point out that there is already a binding contract and $5,000 missing from your bank account so why are you driving the old Jeep while this is 'worked out?'

One more thing, no joke. Have you considered calling '5 on my side'. Local news 'consumer advocates / scam busters' love stuff like this and any car dealer would HATE the attention, especially if it insulates sexism is at play.

Good luck to you, keep us posted!

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
:LOL: I'm in Maine.. I made up '5 on my side' but I was CLOSE!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I recently traded in my 2018 JL Wrangler (only 18 months into lease) because I fell in love with the 2021 Sarge Green Altitude. I made the trade three weeks ago, put an additional 5K down and got a new payment, which turned out lower than my original payment. Got a call yesterday asking me to come in because they needed me to sign something. Turns out, the payment on the new contract is more than the original. I didn't sign, they gave me my original vehicle back and the paperwork to review at home. I am now sitting in limbo with my original Wrangler, new lease at the dealership and have no idea what to do. HELP!!!!
If the dealer does not honor the deal, I would go talk to a lawyer. I do not specialize in this but I am a lawyer and it sounds like you have a good claim. Not just on the contract but on whatever consumer protection statutes that may exist in your state. Some state consumer protection statutes entitle you to additional damages and attorney's fees (which are aimed at dissuading parties from engaging in this type of unscrupulous conduct). Good luck.

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I did sign the original lease paperwork and they accepted and cleared my 5K. I have excellent credit so that wasn't a problem. They did discover an error on their part. When they called, they just said that they needed me to sign something but didn't specify. I made the transaction on my own (without my husband) and I think they are as you said trying to strongarm me into a higher payment.
Sounds like bait and switch to me. Contact (with your dealership on copy) your state's Better Business Bureau and contact whatever state entity licenses the facility (and the person who sold you the car, if they are licensed themselves) and file a complaint.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I recently traded in my 2018 JL Wrangler (only 18 months into lease) because I fell in love with the 2021 Sarge Green Altitude. I made the trade three weeks ago, put an additional 5K down and got a new payment, which turned out lower than my original payment. Got a call yesterday asking me to come in because they needed me to sign something. Turns out, the payment on the new contract is more than the original. I didn't sign, they gave me my original vehicle back and the paperwork to review at home. I am now sitting in limbo with my original Wrangler, new lease at the dealership and have no idea what to do. HELP!!!!
Something is not adding up. Did you at least get your 5k back? If they have, I think time to move on as this was an error and dealer gave you all your money back. If they have not then I wouldn't jump to a lawyer immediately but ask for this issue to be escalated at the dealership. If still not resolved in a timely, professional and satisfactory manner then it is time to get a lawyer. Errors happen all the time but how someone resolves the error tells more about the person or business. If the dealership has a good reputation they will give you the money back quickly. If they are as sneaky as a snake oil salesman then a lawyer can set them straight.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Something is not adding up. Did you at least get your 5k back? If they have, I think time to move on as this was an error and dealer gave you all your money back. If they have not then I wouldn't jump to a lawyer immediately but ask for this issue to be escalated at the dealership. If still not resolved in a timely, professional and satisfactory manner then it is time to get a lawyer. Errors happen all the time but how someone resolves the error tells more about the person or business. If the dealership has a good reputation they will give you the money back quickly. If they are as sneaky as a snake oil salesman then a lawyer can set them straight.
I wouldn’t accept the original Jeep or money back. The only acceptable resolution is the dealership honour the original contract.

What do you think the dealer would have said if the shoe was on the other foot and the customer returned a couple of weeks after the deal and told them they made a mistake and now need another $5,000 for their trade-in vehicle? Do you think the dealer would rip up the contract and give them the money?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I wouldn’t accept the original Jeep or money back. The only acceptable resolution is the dealership honour the original contract.

What do you think the dealer would have said if the shoe was on the other foot and the customer returned a couple of weeks after the deal and told them they made a mistake and now need another $5,000 for their trade-in vehicle? Do you think the dealer would rip up the contract and give them the money?
Have a strong feeling they will not honor it esp if they have paid the $5k. Laws in the US are a lot more lax on businesses versus in Canada (unless you live in California).

But if the dealer is not paying the $5k then they are liable for a lawsuit.

Sponsored

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Stick to your guns, get a lawyer. You had a deal, and yes they made an error had you made the error what do you think the outcome would be?

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Dont listen to anyone in this forum that tells you to move on.
Signed contract? Check.
Payment accepted? Check.
Took possession? Check.

The dealership needs to be put in their place right away. Walk in there with copies of your contract (not originals, those are gold and need to be stored at home in case you lose them for any reason) and demand to speak to the manager. Demand they put you back in the vehicle you already are contractually obligated to pay for. If any of this doesnt go your way, then you contact an attorney.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m thinking if you made the deal and any paperwork was sent to FCA or the state to title the vehicle, they may as well work with you. Otherwise this new Wrangler you kind of took possession on is now a preowned Wrangler that took a hit on depreciation. They would probably come out even by adhering to this deal.
Sponsored