Dealer wants me to sign a new lease contract

Santana70

First Name
Sonia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018, Wrangler Sahara Altitude 2021
I recently traded in my 2018 JL Wrangler (only 18 months into lease) because I fell in love with the 2021 Sarge Green Altitude. I made the trade three weeks ago, put an additional 5K down and got a new payment, which turned out lower than my original payment. Got a call yesterday asking me to come in because they needed me to sign something. Turns out, the payment on the new contract is more than the original. I didn't sign, they gave me my original vehicle back and the paperwork to review at home. I am now sitting in limbo with my original Wrangler, new lease at the dealership and have no idea what to do. HELP!!!!
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I recently traded in my 2018 JL Wrangler (only 18 months into lease) because I fell in love with the 2021 Sarge Green Altitude. I made the trade three weeks ago, put an additional 5K down and got a new payment, which turned out lower than my original payment. Got a call yesterday asking me to come in because they needed me to sign something. Turns out, the payment on the new contract is more than the original. I didn't sign, they gave me my original vehicle back and the paperwork to review at home. I am now sitting in limbo with my original Wrangler, new lease at the dealership and have no idea what to do. HELP!!!!
if you already signed a lease on the 2021 and you have a copy, I would go see a lawyer.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Also did they say why they couldn’t keep you at that payment? I.e. paperwork issue, credit issue?

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Did you sign the original lease paperwork? Did they accept your $5K down payment (did it clear through your bank)? If yes to these, legally you're on higher ground than the dealer, as they simply "discovered" their mistake and are simply attempting to strong-arming you.
*not an actual lawyer, just play one on the internet

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you may have an opportunity to negotiate again. It's their mistake! Did you get your $5k back?

You can always walk away and look for a better deal.

Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
How much is the difference?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Stuff like this gives car dealers such bad reputation.

So, who produced that lease agreement five days ago? The janitor sitting at the manager’s desk?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, this sounds to me like the Manager discovered the error is now trying to get more money.

I could be wrong, but I doubt a dealer principal would allow the name of his dealership to be thrown through the mud with something like this. So it may be worthwhile escalating things internally.

Even if you end up having to dissolve the deal, you want to make sure everyone at that dealership, including the big boss, knows what is going on.

OP
OP

Santana70

First Name
Sonia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you sign the original lease paperwork? Did they accept your $5K down payment (did it clear through your bank)? If yes to these, legally you're on higher ground than the dealer, as they simply "discovered" their mistake and are simply attempting to strong-arming you.
*not an actual lawyer, just play one on the internet
I did sign the original lease paperwork and they accepted and cleared my 5K. I have excellent credit so that wasn't a problem. They did discover an error on their part. When they called, they just said that they needed me to sign something but didn't specify. I made the transaction on my own (without my husband) and I think they are as you said trying to strongarm me into a higher payment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Santana70

First Name
Sonia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just because someone leases does not mean they do not have the means to purchase or money setting aside for other things. She had enough to put 5K down as an extra down-payment.
I didn't want to purchase. I am a new Jeep owner and I change vehicles often.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I did sign the original lease paperwork and they accepted and cleared my 5K. I have excellent credit so that wasn't a problem. They did discover an error on their part. When they called, they just said that they needed me to sign something but didn't specify. I made the transaction on my own (without my husband) and I think they are as you said trying to strongarm me into a higher payment.
Sounds like BS to me.

The dealership where I bought my JL was horrible. I had the numbers on sale and trade worked out on my ordered JL. The sales manager was an ass and tried to strong arm me, too, trying to change it. What should have been an easy transaction took many hours because of his crap.

I was angry and got ready to leave. I do wonder if he would have pulled that act on a man.

Good luck!