Sponsored

Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first Jeep and have been loving the process of learning to do a lot of the PM tasks myself. So far I have done every oil change and tire rotation myself. I am currently at just over 33,000 miles. Should I be swapping out the differential fluid in the near future?
Based upon the UOA results of the oil that I changed at 5,000 miles and considering the small capacity of the axle (1.5QTs in the rear), I would definitely change the it. I would recommend using 75W-110 in the front axle because it is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 was before the SAE J306 tables were updated some time ago. I would also use 75W-140 in the rear axle particularly if you will be towing or performing some other heavy duty use.
Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Ok...so you guys talked me into it. I am a bit over 5k and I am gonna change the fluids. I do not need a friction modifier for my Rubicon, correct? Being a Rubicon it calls for 75W85 front and rear. I saw someone mention earlier that it is less than 3 quarts total for the front and rear diffs. Is that correct for the Rubicon? I'm considering Amsoil but I am gonna check out prices on Royal Purple and other synthetics.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok...so you guys talked me into it. I am a bit over 5k and I am gonna change the fluids. I do not need a friction modifier for my Rubicon, correct? Being a Rubicon it calls for 75W85 front and rear. I saw someone mention earlier that it is less than 3 quarts total for the front and rear diffs. Is that correct for the Rubicon? I'm considering Amsoil but I am gonna check out prices on Royal Purple and other synthetics.
You do not need friction modifier (though some oils have it by default).

Three quarts is enough to do both axles with no problems.

I highly recommend Amsoil as it is arguably the best on the market. I used 75W-110 in the front and 75W-140 in the rear.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I always use VALVOLINE 75W-140 SYNTHETIC-

It already has the LSD additive and the viscosity was recommended by jeep for use in the DANA 44;s-

It will handle ANY LOAD YOU APPLY TO YOUR JEEP and will operate in excessive of 300deg. F. !

Good luck

JIMBO

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Do the friction modifiers cause any issues in non-LSD applications?

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Same, my dealer recommended differential change for $330 each and I left, went to AutoZone and bought the gear oil and some sealing tape myself for $50 to do it myself since it was dead easy. That's how they make their money but I'd like a dealer more forthright though. There's a few other incidents that have been making me trust my dealer less and less and how much sales talk is so scripted. /endrant

Last edited:

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
This is my first Jeep and have been loving the process of learning to do a lot of the PM tasks myself. So far I have done every oil change and tire rotation myself. I am currently at just over 33,000 miles. Should I be swapping out the differential fluid in the near future? Also. are there other reasons to take my JLUR into the dealer now that I have exceeded 30,000?
Do it next oil change

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do the friction modifiers cause any issues in non-LSD applications?
No; I had a Ford ELD that I had to use oil that had a FM in it and there were no issues.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport with LSD in the rear. My manual is weird and says to use 75w-85 front and rear and to add a friction modifier. I've seen different manuals mention using 75W-140 for the rear if you tow or offroad.

I'm going with Valvoline 75W-85 full synthetic for the front. Valvoline 75W-140 full synthetic in the rear (I have tow package and a 1,000lb trailer). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049J5FJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Both have the friction modifier included. From what I gather, that sounds okay to use on a non-LSD for the front and also sounds like it's good for the rear. I found the Mopar FM https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...wc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1T4TLQPKV602J but since it's already in the Valvoline it doesn't sound like I'll need it.

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Sure does.

Only the passenger side axle shaft “disconnects” into two-sections so the r&p don’t turn but the driver side is a one piece shaft that is always spinning the guts of the front differential
You are right the spider gears turn I stand corrected.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
You can use it in both diffs and add the FM to the rear.
Thanks for the info.

It also sounds like the friction modifier that is included in the oil is sufficient for the rear D44 w/LSD and does not require additional friction modifier to be added?

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Thanks for the info.

It also sounds like the friction modifier that is included in the oil is sufficient for the rear D44 w/LSD and does not require additional friction modifier to be added?
Add the 4oz of FM

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
That’s a bad price. I re-geared and brought the Jeep back in for a +500 mile fluid change and inspection. The 4x4 shop said that this service was NOT included in the price I paid for re-gearing. The total cost for both diffs, inspection and new Amsoil was $279.
Sponsored