Sponsored

Dealer wants $660 to change differential fluid

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I take it you off-road a lot and needed to change it? We havent gotten to that point yet as these are our first Jeeps.
No, I was potting my locker sensors and you need to drain it every time. I screwed one up so I had to go back in there again.

But ya. If you're not offroading and going through a lot of water and shit, just follow whatever the reccomended frequency is.
Sponsored

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
No, I was potting my locker sensors and you need to drain it every time. I screwed one up so I had to go back in there again.

But ya. If you're not offroading and going through a lot of water and shit, just follow whatever the reccomended frequency is.
I do not think there is a designated interval to change them unless you meet certain conditions. Much like the transmission. Granted, I plan on ignoring that and changing mine. Fresh cannot ever hurt.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, if you mean those conditions. It doesn’t say everyone should at x miles like it does for coolant oil etc. That is what I meant by meeting conditions.
That’s only Mopar’s conditions, Dana *does* have a schedule for changing diff oil. Just like ZF has a schedule for the transmission but mopar/Jeep considers it a “lifetime” fluid.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s only Mopar’s conditions, Dana *does* have a schedule for changing diff oil. Just like ZF has a schedule for the transmission but mopar/Jeep considers it a “lifetime” fluid.
What is the schedule they list since it’s not in the manual?

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What is the schedule they list since it’s not in the manual?
Dana I believe recommends every 30k miles. I will say the rear diff fluid was black as sin, and the front diff was almost still amber so it will depend on usage. I don’t do any towing and my JLU isn’t super heavy.

Transmission is every 50k miles if you’re wondering.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dana I believe recommends every 30k miles. I will say the rear diff fluid was black as sin, and the front diff was almost still amber so it will depend on usage. I don’t do any towing and my JLU isn’t super heavy.

Transmission is every 50k miles if you’re wondering.
Thanks. I had planned on the tranny at 50k. Figured around there for the diffs also. I don’t tow or anything. Just commute to work is probably the worst lol.

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Damn man... that's crazy high.

You could buy 2 hookers, 3 tanks of gas, Diff Covers, FAD Skid, Chick-Fil-A for a week; oh, and still have enough left over to do this job three times.

Please take the time to do it yourself. It literally takes less than 10 minutes for each axle. 20 minutes if you drink a beer and grind out the square to fit the ratchet in the drain plug. I loathe dealerships' business models.
Shoot for that much $$ you could just pay a hooker to do it....
Sponsored