First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
13 pages to say pull the bottom plug and let the diff fluid drain and then pull the top plug.. Put in the bottom plug add diff fluid until it comes out of the top plug hole. Put top plug back in. Just about anyone should be able to do this job in their driveway in 15 minutes.
Always remove the fill plug first before the drain plug. If you drain it then can’t remove the fill plug for whatever reason, you’re screwed. And always fill by capacity, not till it comes out of the fill hole. If the vehicle isn’t level, or you’ve got most aftermarket diff covers you won’t put in the right amount by filling until it runs out.

Then you put in the Freon. R134a, not R12.
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Always remove the fill plug first before the drain plug. If you drain it then can’t remove the fill plug for whatever reason, you’re screwed. And always fill by capacity, not till it comes out of the fill hole. If the vehicle isn’t level, or you’ve got most aftermarket diff covers you won’t put in the right amount by filling until it runs out.

Then you put in the Freon. R134a, not R12.
It's not even R134a anymore.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And none of that goes to the axles? I am not mechanically inclined, and trying to understand. Wouldn't you want some sort of lubricant, grease or otherwise, around metal that is spinning inside a metal tube? Even if the housing doesn't touch the actual axle shaft.
The rear is much simpler- an enlarged bulb in the middle with 2 tubes going out to the 2 tires, almost completely hollow. The axle shafts go through the tubes and there is a lot of space between the shafts and the tubes. At the outside ends of the tubes there are bearings between the shaft and the tube, the bearing transfers the weight of the vehicle from the tube to the shaft, which then transfers it to the tire. Just outside of the bearing is a seal. The seal and bearing will be right behind the brakes meaning if the seal leaks you get lube on your brakes and your tires. Everything inside the axle from the seal on one end to the seal on the other end is exposed to the gear lube. Of course there is another seal where the pinion shaft comes out to connect to the driveshaft.

A vehicle with front or rear IFS is somewhat similar with the axle housing much shorter. The axle shafts are external and the seals I mentioned above are very near the bulb in the middle of the housing, with CV joints each end of each axle shaft to allow them to articulate.

The front is more complicated because it has to steer. The hub contains the bearings that transfer weight, the axle shaft doesn't do that anymore. There still has to be a seal to keep the grease in but it doesn't have to be out by the wheel bearing. And actually I don't remember where it was in my previous Jeep, it's been a long time since I pulled out one of those axle shafts.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great explanation!

I had an axle seal leak on my YJ's front driver side of the Dana 30. I can assure everyone it was gear oil that was leaking. Same stuff that was in the diff.

I wouldn't want to drive very far or very fast with dry axle tubes.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
Do it your self, super easy. You can do both the front and back in 25 min

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
So...I live just outside NYC and took my 2018 JLU to the dealer for 30K maint. They want $330 to change the differential fluid...each.

is it just me or is this high? Is there anything special a dealer does that isn’t just a straight forward oil change?

I could change it myself but it’s time and hassle I’d rather spend elsewhere.

Thx
I had heard it was around $600 for both. I changed the fluid in both in a combined 37 minutes. I had never drained and filled a diff before in my life. I have a 2019 JLUR. I put in 75W-140 Severe Duty Synthetic Gear Lube from Amsoil. The rear diff took 25 minutes (first one) to drain and fill. The front took 12 minutes. I drove it around both left hand turns and right hand turns to ensure the fluid went everywhere internally it is supposed to go. I rechecked the levels and they were filled properly. It would take me more than 37 minutes to drive one-way to the dealer and I saved $550.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
A little tip:

Drive for 10 miles or so to warm the fluid and decrease the viscosity. Cold gear oil will take a long time to drain out.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had heard it was around $600 for both.
Be aware that not all cars have drain plugs, sometimes you have to pull the "pumpkin" partly out to drain the oil, and to do that you have to pull the wheels and tires and axles. On the fronts it's even more work depending on how the hubs come out. Worst case scenario, $600 still sounds on the high side to me but at inflated dealership hourly rates maybe that is what it would take. On a JL, barely more work than changing the engine oil.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Be aware that not all cars have drain plugs, sometimes you have to pull the "pumpkin" partly out to drain the oil, and to do that you have to pull the wheels and tires and axles. On the fronts it's even more work depending on how the hubs come out. Worst case scenario, $600 still sounds on the high side to me but at inflated dealership hourly rates maybe that is what it would take. On a JL, barely more work than changing the engine oil.
I did my research on what it took to drain and fill the diffs on a JLUR and I was shocked at how easy it was. That is the only vehicle I have attempted it on, although as I have done all the maintenance on the Jeep I have started doing it on the other vehicles as well. So much easier than taking them in for simple stuff like oil changes and the like.

I recently replaced the lower control arms and struts on the Subaru Impreza my son drives. First time and we did it in 3.5 hours. I will tell you that finding the torque specs for the Subaru was a pain in the backside. I searched for almost an hour to find and then verify I had the right numbers and that was just for the front suspension.

On this forum it took two minutes to get the torque specs for damn near every fastener for my Jeep.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever pulled a Jeep axle?
Sure have buddy. And every rear axle shaft has bearings on them which get lubed by the diff fluid. Every time I've pulled rears some diff fluid can/will leak out the end of the axle tube, which is why I'll jack that side up.

If the rear axle was sealed with inner seals to prevent fluid from leaving the diff, then why would the breather be on the axle tube, unlike the front axle?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sure have buddy. And every rear axle shaft has bearings on them which get lubed by the diff fluid. Every time I've pulled rears some diff fluid can/will leak out the end of the axle tube, which is why I'll jack that side up.
They are not flooded axle tubes though, the diff has seals at the gear/axle splined end, they should not be filled. If the axle tubes were flooded it would hold a gallon or more of fluid.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They are not flooded axle tubes though, the diff has seals at the gear/axle splined end, they should not be filled. If the axle tubes were flooded it would hold a gallon or more of fluid.

Ok, now you're making an argument out of something which I never said.......see below for a refresh:

That's only half correct. The front axle has inner seals to keep the fluid in the differential. The rear axle does allow fluid into the tubes to lubricate the axle shaft bearings.

If you look at the breather tube on the front axle, it is in the diff. The breather for the rear axle is in the axle tube. Disclaimer: This is where they're at on the Rubicon axles.

So I never said the tube was flooded, I said it allows some fluid into the tubes. How else are the shaft bearings going to be lubed. I stand by my statements.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Ok, now you're making an argument out of something which I never said.......see below for a refresh:

So I never said the tube was flooded, I said it allows some fluid into the tubes. How else are the shaft bearings going to be lubed. I stand by my statements.
Depends on which bearing you’re referring to. The bearing at the wheel end on the axle is but lubed by diff fluid. The inner axle seals are on the outside face of the diff bearings, which are lubricated by the diff fluid.

I’m not trying to put word in your mouth, just trying to clarify the info.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on which bearing you’re referring to. The bearing at the wheel end on the axle is but lubed by diff fluid. The inner axle seals are on the outside face of the diff bearings, which are lubricated by the diff fluid.

Man, it's like talking to my kid.......I had stated the axle shaft bearings (which are at the end of the axle near the wheel) are lubed by the diff fluid. Anyone who knows anything about rear axles knows absolutely what I'm talking about. And of course the carrier bearings are lubed by the diff fluid. Lets agree that all of the bearings in the rear axle and on the rear axleshafts near the wheel are lubricated by the same fluid, which is the fluid in the differential. And that there's only one source of lubrication in the rear axle.....which is the differential fluid.

I'm so glad you're not putting words in my mouth since you're confusing AF! Re-read your statement I replied too. Even then you agreed with me in that the axle shaft bearings are lubricated by the diff fluid!

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Huh? All of the bearings in a rear axle are lubricated by the gear oil contained inside the axle. Why does it matter which bearing it is?
Sponsored