Sponsored

Dealer Speedometer Recalibration

pubmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Sport
Hey all,

I've been debating whether to buy a speedo recalibrator (cheapest one I saw was around $140) or have the dealership perform it ($125). My one concern with the dealer is that if they perform a system reset/software update, could that potentially reset the tire size in the computer? And if so, would I have to pay them again to perform the same procedure?

I don't anticipate changing my tire size anytime soon, so I don't really need a programmer for multiple uses. However, having the option of making adjustments down the line without paying again is comforting. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Personally, I’d rather put that $125 towards a programmer that will give you the ability to do this yourself and plenty more. It’s not that much more expensive and you’d have something that you could potentially sell and recoup some of the cost if you decide you don’t need/want it anymore.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There's a few TazerJL forum threads that go into tons of detail on the topic, though the simple answer is that if the dealer programs the calibration, they add a sales code and it "sticks" regardless of whether or not they reset anything.

With the TazerJL, which is the Swiss Army Knife of mods, most folks "un-marry" the TazerJL before they take their Jeeps to the dealership. That does reset everything, and you simply need to reconfigure the tire size in the settings after "marrying" the device again.

I always left my TazerJL plugged in when bringing it in, but different dealers respond differently. All they ever asked was that I remove the TazerJL from the OBD2 port so they could access the data.

My best recommendation would be to establish a relationship with a single, front-line dealership service contact and ask them if they have an issue with calibrators.
Sponsored