First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
For those of you that have bought out of state, how easy (or otherwise) is it to have your JL serviced and otherwise looked after by your local dealer service department?

I'm about to order my Rubicon JLU and currently in the process of getting three local dealers to give me their lowest prices. I'm getting there and having Tread Lightly is certainly helping.None of them will be able to beat my buying out of state (Vegas) and the only thing that's making me weary of doing so is not having done so before I don't know how that might complicate after purchase warranty issues or normal dealer service.

Any insight appreciated.
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
For those of you that have bought out of state, how easy (or otherwise) is it to have your JL serviced and otherwise looked after by your local dealer service department?

I'm about to order my Rubicon JLU and currently in the process of getting three local dealers to give me their lowest prices. I'm getting there and having Tread Lightly is certainly helping.None of them will be able to beat my buying out of state (Vegas) and the only thing that's making me weary of doing so is not having done so before I don't know how that might complicate after purchase warranty issues or normal dealer service.

Any insight appreciated.

Shouldn't have any affect at all. Dealers make money off the service department, so they should welcome the work.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Not service related, but one thing that I researched recently was the applicability of your state's Lemon Laws on an out-of-state purchase. I can't speak for all 50 states, but if you live in California and buy out-of-state then you are not covered by CA's Lemon Law, unless you're in the military. The good news is that you're still covered by Federal Lemon laws. I haven't looked at whether or not you're covered by the Lemon Law in the state where you purchased.

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/cars

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Any insight appreciated.
How about if you buy in Idaho from an excellent dealer for an excellent price ? And on your return , the Jeep breaks down somewhere in the badlands . The tow truck takes you to the only GM or Ford shop within 300 miles , and they charge you an arm and a leg to screw up your Jeep , and you need to transport it all the way home . After you return your state Lemon Law does not apply because you bought out of state , and your local dealer and FCA won't help because the badlands shop work voided your FCA warranty . Then the badlands shop gets a lien on your other property . Then you lose your job because you traded in your reliable original car to save a few bucks in Idaho . These insights come to mind .

Sponsored

Firstwave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 2018 Mazda CX9
Parts & repairs are a big money maker for dealers so I don't think they will refuse to work on my Jeep. My local dealers were selling at sticker price. I saved $5600 by buying in Las Vegas instead of Santa Fe or Albuquerque. I get a few days in Las Vegas and a Route 66 road trip to boot.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
Bought mine in Boise, just had the local dealer do the recall. The service guy said once I'm in their system, they just assume that I bought it from them, LOL

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
How about if you buy in Idaho from an excellent dealer for an excellent price ? And on your return , the Jeep breaks down somewhere in the badlands . The tow truck takes you to the only GM or Ford shop within 300 miles , and they charge you an arm and a leg to screw up your Jeep , and you need to transport it all the way home . After you return your state Lemon Law does not apply because you bought out of state , and your local dealer and FCA won't help because the badlands shop work voided your FCA warranty . Then the badlands shop gets a lien on your other property . Then you lose your job because you traded in your reliable original car to save a few bucks in Idaho . These insights come to mind .
And you could get hit by lightning on the drive back... Not exactly something that I stay awake at night worrying about though... But at my age, I'm more concerned with just having a blood pressure *above ZERO*... :(

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are some dealers that are scumbags even if you bought the vehicle from them. Just go with the assumption that all dealers are scumbags and you'll seldom be disappointed.

The dealer that we bought my wife's BMW from put up a 30.06 and 30.07 sign and I refuse to do business with them anymore. They don't believe in my being allowed to provide for my own personal protection, then I don't believe in them being allowed to profit from my warranty repairs. I switched to a different dealer that has no problem with concealed OR open carry.

The dealer that I went through on my Jeep also does not have a problem with concealed or open carry and that, combined with 5% discount, was all the justification that I needed to go with them. Sure, they're probably still scumbags, but that's to be expected anyway... It's part of the job description, isn't it?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
And you could get hit by lightning on the drive back... Not exactly something that I stay awake at night worrying about though... But at my age, I'm more concerned with just having a blood pressure *above ZERO*... :(
I forgot about the lightning , and the flash floods out of nowhere . Just to save a nickel .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Just go with the assumption that all dealers are scumbags and you'll seldom be disappointed.
The dealer that I went through on my Jeep also does not have a problem with concealed or open carry and that, combined with 5% discount, was all the justification that I needed to go with them.
Too funny . How to select a dealer in Texas , lol .

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
There are some dealers that are scumbags even if you bought the vehicle from them. Just go with the assumption that all dealers are scumbags and you'll seldom be disappointed.

The dealer that we bought my wife's BMW from put up a 30.06 and 30.07 sign and I refuse to do business with them anymore. They don't believe in my being allowed to provide for my own personal protection, then I don't believe in them being allowed to profit from my warranty repairs. I switched to a different dealer that has no problem with concealed OR open carry.

The dealer that I went through on my Jeep also does not have a problem with concealed or open carry and that, combined with 5% discount, was all the justification that I needed to go with them. Sure, they're probably still scumbags, but that's to be expected anyway... It's part of the job description, isn't it?
A jeep dealership, in Texas, that doesn't allow CC or OC. Now there is something that is beyond wrong. Good on you for not putting up with that.

Ordered a new JLU this last weekend and went in to my local guy with my weapon concealed. No signs posted, but few places pull that crap around here. Although my deal was already hammered out via email, the time spent to do the order went quickly with no attempt to up sell. I was wearing a lightweight shirt and I'm sure I was "printing" a little so maybe that helped speed things up a bit.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I was wearing a lightweight shirt and I'm sure I was "printing" a little so maybe that helped speed things up a bit.
Perfect way to avoid the up-sale . Also could add a "Clint Eastwood quote" if dealer suggests an up-sale : "Feeling lucky?" ( Just joking , dealers .)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect way to avoid the up-sale . Also could add a "Clint Eastwood quote" if dealer suggests an up-sale : "Feeling lucky?" ( Just joking , dealers .)
The fact is, most people are so involved in their own little worlds that they don't notice whether you are carrying or not -- concealed or open.

It is nice to have the option to not have to have a covering garment to be concealed on those 100F, 100% humidity days that we have around here.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It is nice to have the option to not have to have a covering garment to be concealed on those 100F, 100% humidity days that we have around here.
In the tropical rainforests of Vietnam , Army and Marine guys humped 50 pounds of gear while wearing lighter-weight jungle fatigue shirts , and they were always wet from the frequent rains AND the ample perspiration , both at the same time . At least in Texas you can reach for a cold one . lol .
Sponsored