Sponsored

Dealer Service Issue

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
For what it’s worth, it appears Jeep needs to fix their internal software.

Apparently when they send RRT’s, there are supposed to be service notifications that pop up for the technician to review prior to applying them, advising if certain steps need to be taken to update the vehicle. On one of the RRT’s, this notification doesn’t show up until AFTER the update is applied. This process can’t be reversed or cleared, and leads to a bricking of the battery. 🤬

If Jeep doesn’t fix this soon, I can only imagine the costs they’ll incur having to replace a bunch of batteries. Those things aren’t cheap!

Unreal.
Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
You know what is more expensive than an engine? The battery that was bricked by the software updates. And that has nothing to do with how long I went between oil changes.
Never said it did.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I keep getting told crap about dealers voiding his warranty because it’s 12,00 miles. The owners manual info. Etc etc. I don’t remember anything in the manual or maintenance schedule about the first oil change being any earlier than 10,000 miles on the actual gas engine. We can argue all day about what the odometer reads and actual miles on the gas engine and whether someone’s crappy dealer would try to void the warranty vs someone else’s hood dealer not voiding it. We can also argue when the first oil change should be done vs when Jeep says it’s ok. None of that is relevant to my original post and what I said. It’s just reading assumptions into my statement to fit it to someone else’s opinions.
Nobody claimed the first oil change was required by the manual _less_ than 10K mi but did claim that it is 10K mi. and 12K is “too long”.

It isn’t “crap”, it’s “advice” and sometimes opinions trump the manual (many TSBs are a result of “opinions”, like amending specs published in the manual).

pg 367, 2022 owner's manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer Service Issue 1651798205697

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nobody claimed the first oil change was required by the manual _less_ than 10K mi but did claim that it is 10K mi. and 12K is “too long”.

It isn’t “crap”, it’s “advice” and sometimes opinions trump the manual (many TSBs are a result of “opinions”, like amending specs published in the manual).

pg 367, 2022 owner's manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer Service Issue 1651798205697

And another jumps in because they don’t like that I pointed out what was stated exactly in the op and I didn’t read a bunch is CRAP into it. My original post still stands. But sure, jump in the middle and pick and choose what to comment about. Out of context at that lol.

I didn’t say changing your oil early was crap. I changed mine at 4800 miles the first time and will probably change it every 7000-8000. But all that’s not relevant to what the op asked about and stated. Nor is it relevant to my original reply. That’s what makes it CRAP. It’s fluff injected into the replies to me that we’re not relevant.

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
It’s not my opinion, it’s clearly stated in the owner’s manual, making it factual information. If you choose not to follow it, good for you.

Re: arguing over the OP’s oil change, he indicated that the vehicle tells you when to change the oil, which in his case was at 12k mi. It clearly states in the owner’s manual,”under no circumstances should the oil change interval exceed 10k mi”. It doesn’t say if you have a 4xe electric miles don’t count.

As discussed in many other threads on this forum and others, Jeep dealerships are notorious for trying to void warranty claims. One of the easiest ways for them to do this is if the owner doesn’t follow the outlined maintenance schedule.

The oil change in this instance didn’t cause the OP’s problem, but not following the maintenance schedule in the future could lead to the OP experiencing difficulty with dealership service departments.

Again. I never said any of what you just posted wasn’t true. Or couldn’t happen. I can’t help it some of you have crappy dealers.

My original posted reply stands as I wrote it. If you want to inject more and more info and fluff into this that’s on you. Not relevant to his original post. And continuously restating it does nothing. But you do you boo.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And another jumps in because they don’t like that I pointed out what was stated exactly in the op and I didn’t read a bunch is CRAP into it. My original post still stands. But sure, jump in the middle and pick and choose what to comment about. Out of context at that lol.

I didn’t say changing your oil early was crap. I changed mine at 4800 miles the first time and will probably change it every 7000-8000. But all that’s not relevant to what the op asked about and stated. Nor is it relevant to my original reply. That’s what makes it CRAP. It’s fluff injected into the replies to me that we’re not relevant.
I was here the whole time.

Pro tip: personal attacks imply you don't have anything reasonable to go on and if you did, it gets lost in the kerfuffle.

Nobody claimed oil changes were relevant to the OP's problem--God forbid anyone gives advice when they feel it's important! Perhaps you could use your time reading what people actually wrote rather than what they didn't.

So, mirroring you, "My original post still stands" 😉

danielhira

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU
For what it’s worth, it appears Jeep needs to fix their internal software.

Apparently when they send RRT’s, there are supposed to be service notifications that pop up for the technician to review prior to applying them, advising if certain steps need to be taken to update the vehicle. On one of the RRT’s, this notification doesn’t show up until AFTER the update is applied. This process can’t be reversed or cleared, and leads to a bricking of the battery. 🤬

If Jeep doesn’t fix this soon, I can only imagine the costs they’ll incur having to replace a bunch of batteries. Those things aren’t cheap!

Unreal.
Any idea of what the steps are that should be taken but aren't?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow, this thread has really devolved. Arguing about the OP’s oil change interval is completely irrelevant here.

The dude’s Jeep is bricked and his EV battery is apparently ruined — all from a software update at the dealer.

Whatever you think about the oil change, that’s just horrible.
It’s just another reason to do oil changes yourself and avoid the dealership.

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Remember this. To err is human, to get things really fouled up, it take a computer.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Does he have a gasoline or Diesel engine? Then the 10,000 mi applies regardless of what mileage was accumulated under electric only power, according to the manual. This is something very easy for the dealer to point to down the road to deny warranty service.
He has the 4xe which I am fairly certain only comes in gas BUT the issues he is having have ZERO, nada, zilch to do with the oil change. The problems happened when a software update was initiated.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
while hindsight says this is the best way to go, I was putting the “experts” in charge. I’m not an expert. I do now wish I had done that, but there was no logical reason for me to do it without the benefit of knowing what would end up happening.
Updates that are required should be performed. You can't just ignore them!
There is no way to predict outcome unless you're a psychic on anything you're about to do.

Get if fixed and move on. At least they're giving you a vehicle while saving miles on yours.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Updates that are required should be performed. You can't just ignore them!
There is no way to predict outcome unless you're a psychic on anything you're about to do.

Get if fixed and move on. At least they're giving you a vehicle while saving miles on yours.
Just because they exist does not mean they are required.
Sponsored