First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 platinum, 2021 JL RUBICON
Occupation
retired
I bought a Jeep from Zimmer jeep in Burlington KY in 2021 new, so later I like most people added some items to the jeep, wheels lift, lights, winch. SO now after all that and even before I was having battery issues, I have gone through 2 batteries now, so I took it to the dealer for service to find out the issues. Well, they come back with saying that the main battery is ok and that there is an open circuit, that maybe the aux battery shows it isn't there, not connected or dead I'm guessing and so they can't go any further with this due to liability issues because of the aftermarket stuff I put on this jeep. to me sounds like they don't want to get stuck with the aux battery bill and using this bs to stop figuring out the problem! There is another dealer in my area I guess I will most likely take there; I wonder if they will say the same thing??
Sponsored

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
The AUX battery is for Stop/Start to my knowledge and should not be affected at all by the upgrades you have added to your Jeep.

OP
OP
nkyjeep

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I personally think that the aux battery wasn't connected at the factory and that is why I'm having the dead battery issues cause, the e-Torq is supposed to the new alternator for this motor and charging the aux battery, then aux battery charges main battery, supposedly or am I wrong? Well the real kicker is that they said that the aux battery doesn't even show up in their Dianostic scan!

OP
OP
nkyjeep

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
and that fact that they said they cant work on it cause of the factory bash plate under the aux battery was the real kicker for me,

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
just isolate the aux battery and test it. there are posts on these forums detailing how to do it.

and if you do need to replace the aux battery i recommend getting it it through hte fender

Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
just isolate the aux battery and test it. there are posts on these forums detailing how to do it.

and if you do need to replace the aux battery i recommend getting it it through hte fender
If OP has etorque as stated, there is not an Aux battery in that fender well location. There is a 48V battery with dc-dc charger (PPU) in the rear opposite the fuel tank. The fact the dealer is saying that the PPU is not even showing up is a big red flag to me.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I would either disconnect all the aftermarket wiring power leads, or accept the fact Jeep won’t warranty modified systems and take it to an independent automotive shop that specializes in electrical diagnostics. Depending on which is least painful for you.

Without more detail on your history of battery problems we can’t even guess whether it’s a discharge issue like parasitic draw, or a charging issue in the hybrid charging system. Some more elaboration on that would be helpful.

If you can find a cooperative dealer, they may agree to diagnose it on your dime, and then change the ticket into a warranty item IF the faulty item is a warranted component. That would be fair IMO.

OP
OP
nkyjeep

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Tomorrow I'm going to take the jeep to another dealer, I knew going to the dealer that sold me the jeep that they wouldn't do it, hell earlier 3 months ago they told me it would be 2 months to get a front wheel alignment, that told me that they are not good service dept, but since they sold me the jeep, I figured I'd start with them. this other dealer is the one who did my front wheel alignment and was like 2-day vs 2 months. so hopefully they will warranty the aux battery because to me that seems the issue with the dealer who sold me the jeep.

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
If OP has etorque as stated, there is not an Aux battery in that fender well location. There is a 48V battery with dc-dc charger (PPU) in the rear opposite the fuel tank. The fact the dealer is saying that the PPU is not even showing up is a big red flag to me.
The etorque engines with the 48v battery do have an aux battery behind the fender liner . I just changed mine.

Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
The etorque engines with the 48v battery do have an aux battery behind the fender liner . I just changed mine.
Mine certainly does not and it's been well documented on this forum that they do not have the small 12v aux battery inside the fender.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That dealer sounds like a real gem.

I’d find another one.

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
Battery I took out is at the bottom of the picture. Atleast they told me it's a battery when I bought it. Looks like a battery to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer service dept 20220507_150525

OP
OP
nkyjeep

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Battery I took out is at the bottom of the picture. Atleast they told me it's a battery when I bought it. Looks like a battery to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer service dept 20220507_150525
If you post pic of window sticker that would help us understand more, cause I'm a little surprised myself cause, 3.6l e-torque engines are supposed to not have an aux battery under the fender well, those were for 2018-2020 engines without e-torque from my understanding? the 2021 3.6l e-torque are to have main battery in engine bay and aux 24 volt lithium battery back on drivers side next to gas tank as is my setup.
Sponsored