Dealer screwed up oil change!

JDZ1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Just got home from dealer free oil change and tire rotation. Look under jeep and 5” puddle. Check drain plug and it’s half way out. No oil!
service department closed till tomorrow.

Any suggestions, assuming my engine could be toast, has 5000 miles on it. 2.0 turbo.

I usually do my own oil changes,can’t believe this crap!
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
You're probably fine if all you did was drive it home from the dealership. It was still leaking when you got home, which means there was still oil when you got home.

However, I'd document/photograph the hell out of everything and make sure the dealer provides written documentation of what happened. See if they'll throw in an extended warranty to make it right.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The fact that you have a 5" puddle under your Jeep is a good sign, better than no puddle. Be sure to take some pics and don't move that Jeep until the service dept is informed (assuming your Jeep is in a place that's safe to leave it.

That sucks and that's just one of the many reasons no dealer ever touches my Jeep unless it's warranty/recall stuff, and then I have to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I've rarely had service that's done 100% properly :(

spiG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ram 1500/19 HD SGS
Did you drain the rest of the oil after finding it? I assume you checked the dip stick and find no oil on it but i'd drain whats left in the pan and see how much you pull. Take photos of everything beforehand and after but all depends on the level it was when you drove and how far you drove home.

OP
OP

JDZ1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I saw puddle went under and saw signs of oil all over checked plug was halfway out and no oil. Drove around a descent amount. Have asfir skid plate and O think most of the 5” puddle was sitting on the skid.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Just got home from dealer free oil change and tire rotation. Look under jeep and 5” puddle. Check drain plug and it’s half way out. No oil!
service department closed till tomorrow.

Any suggestions, assuming my engine could be toast, has 5000 miles on it. 2.0 turbo.

I usually do my own oil changes,can’t believe this crap!
I’d arrange a tow to the dealer and have it setting in their lot tonight.....

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Well a 5" puddle is what he saw, but if had been driving around for a while, that could have been the last of the oil in the pan too. 🤷‍♂️

REDCOMETJLUXR

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Could be worse, took wife’s in for an oil change as well, picked it up, jumped on freeway and watched 5 lug nuts fly off from the driver side tire, lucky I was already slowing down because steering wheel had started to death wobble wheel was being held on by the brake rotor.
Hopefully nothing major is wrong with yours.

OP
OP

JDZ1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Definitely not fine, more looking for ways to deal with this dealer who I’ll bet will want to put oil in and send me away.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer has done only two oil changes out of 7 at two different dealers and both times they’ve overfilled my Jeep. Plus I like to know what’s going in the engine and coming out. I’ve done my own ever since and it is super easy. I encourage all JL owners to do there own.
Sponsored

Last edited: