Sponsored

Dealer says TPMS issue is due to wheels and tires being too thick?

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anyone ever heard of this? Seems like a bunch of fooey to me, they printed me out a Star Case detailing the issue. My TPMS system sees the sensors and reports the pressure but they say the system is confused about the placement of the sensors around the Jeep and that it is due to my aftermarket wheels and tires... Mind you, I put a good 15k miles on these wheels and tires before this became an issue... Looking around I see that there is an updated part number for the TMPS sensors for the 2018 according to @AllMoparParts.com I'm wondering if I replaced the sensors if this issue would be resolved? Of course I don't feel like I should have to shell out $300 for new sensors when this has been an ongoing issue. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If you search on this board you'll find others have experienced the same thing. I personally think it has more to do with the backspacing of the wheels than how thick they are.

I don't think the trouble is with the sensors themselves, so save the $300.

Not sure about your options. I believe you can disable the whole TPMS this with something like a Tazer. You could try a wheel with less offset (yeah, I know, THAT's not gonna happen ;))

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I'm running 72.5" wide axles with 4.5" back spacing and my sensors pick up just fine. I'm running the cheapo ebay sensors.

Are you dead set on having the readout?

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
What size rims are you running?

no issues here with after market rims running 17/9x37” tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer says TPMS issue is due to wheels and tires being too thick? 9BD40E24-E8FB-4734-A43A-93A12692616A

OP
OP
NC4x4

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’m running Fuel Couplers, 20x10. I really don’t care about the system working, I don’t rely on them but my wife occasionally drives it and has nagged me about it. I currently have the system turned off with my Tazer. I just think it’s ridiculous they can’t make a sensor communicate with the system but we can communicate with a 40 year old space craft billions of miles from earth... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I’m running Fuel Couplers, 20x10. I really don’t care about the system working, I don’t rely on them but my wife occasionally drives it and has nagged me about it. I currently have the system turned off with my Tazer. I just think it’s ridiculous they can’t make a sensor communicate with the system but we can communicate with a 40 year old space craft billions of miles from earth... 🤷🏼‍♂️
That's funny. I always felt like TPMS should only communicate with the owners vehicle. Get too close to a different JL and you don't want that computer to pick it up.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If it was a tire and wheel issue, it would've been an issue right out of the gate, not 15k later. I'd sooner question the sensors themselves. Now 4-5 year old batteries, which are probably nearing the end of their lifespan.

OP
OP
NC4x4

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That's funny. I always felt like TPMS should only communicate with the owners vehicle. Get too close to a different JL and you don't want that computer to pick it up.
I get that, I meant that more towards the dealers claim that my tires and wheels are too thick. I don't buy that, at all.

If it was a tire and wheel issue, it would've been an issue right out of the gate, not 15k later. I'd sooner question the sensors themselves. Now 4-5 year old batteries, which are probably nearing the end of their lifespan.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I may just find some cheapos on eBay and be done with it.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I get that, I meant that more towards the dealers claim that my tires and wheels are too thick. I don't buy that, at all.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I may just find some cheapos on eBay and be done with it.
I will chime in. It is fact. 2018’s have an issue with the Jeep receiver getting the signal from the tpms. Jeep issue however they could care less to fix as it works fine in stock form. Once you lift and add thicker tires and move them further away they will not pick up the signal on every rotation. Sometimes the psi is accurate but the light stays on as the system doesn’t see it each rotation so there is an error.

Crap shoot on putting on different sensors but I will say you will not have the best luck with non OE sensors. Feel free to DM if you want more info or help. I am in the business.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i have aggressive offset wheels on 35s on my 18 and no issues. funny because we were having a similar conversation this morning re tpms. ive worked in the wheel business for many years. ive heard all kinds of stupid on tpms. typically its an incompetent person trying to work with them. in this case it sounds like maybe they are at the end of their life. how many miles on the jeep OP? they have a lifespan for how long they operate. not so much in time but in usage. possibly in time as well though. but mine are still going strong and im sure many others are or we'd be hearing about it a lot more.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
i have aggressive offset wheels on 35s on my 18 and no issues. funny because we were having a similar conversation this morning re tpms. ive worked in the wheel business for many years. ive heard all kinds of stupid on tpms. typically its an incompetent person trying to work with them. in this case it sounds like maybe they are at the end of their life. how many miles on the jeep OP? they have a lifespan for how long they operate. not so much in time but in usage. possibly in time as well though. but mine are still going strong and im sure many others are or we'd be hearing about it a lot more.
Good that you got a good one. Known problem on 18’s and has nothing to do with age as can happen with new ones. His are probably going if it worked before and now doesn’t.

OP
OP
NC4x4

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I will chime in. It is fact. 2018’s have an issue with the Jeep receiver getting the signal from the tpms. Jeep issue however they could care less to fix as it works fine in stock form. Once you lift and add thicker tires and move them further away they will not pick up the signal on every rotation. Sometimes the psi is accurate but the light stays on as the system doesn’t see it each rotation so there is an error.

Crap shoot on putting on different sensors but I will say you will not have the best luck with non OE sensors. Feel free to DM if you want more info or help. I am in the business.
I had no idea about bad receivers on the 18's. I've got a 19 rubi on 4.25" lift and 38x13.5's wrapping 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset. Never a hiccup with all 4 readings.

Maybe on an 18, it might be smart to start fresh with new receivers and transmitters, and just be done with it?
Sponsored