Dealer says best to wait for 22's

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Hey guys,

So I had a very simple but specific build I wanted in firecracker red. My dealer who I've known for a long time and I'm quite friendly with told me he did have about three 392's coming in but none in firecracker red. I believe it was 1 snazznerry and 2 sting grays.

He mentioned due to constraints and 21s still being built my best bet may be to simply wait for the 22s if they are definitely making 22s.

I guess it's not the worse thing in the world as I still have to sell my 21 grand cherokee 5.7 trailhawk anyway. Plus it's something cool to look forward to!

Has anyone heard any rumors as to when I may be able to even place an order for a 22 392? That is IF they even still make them. I'm anticipating maybe being able to order by sept-oct?

Thanks and to all you guys enjoying your awesome 392s I'm very jealous yet happy for you guys!
Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Some have heard that 22 models may not hit the order guide until September and may not be delivered to showrooms until December.

A lot of members have been putting in orders to take advantage of enhanced trade in values on their used vehicles and with some speculating that the 2022 models may be more expensive due to material costs rising all over.

Nothing has been confirmed from a timing or cost perspective. It's possible 2022 models may have some enhancements like Uconnect5, but again, nothing has been confirmed.

Really comes down to your comfort level in potentially waiting and if the market shifts (lower values on used cars, higher costs on new cars), still being OK. Not saying that will happen, but it's a risk that is on the table.

Ja87sm

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler islander
Exactly what I was going to say. Personally, Iā€™d put the order in and wait it out. Youā€™ve already got a great vehicle to drive in the meantime. I thought the market wouldnā€™t rise higher than it has but it keeps climbing. I see a used car decline eventually though, especially as things get back to ā€œnormalā€. Thereā€™s a demand now for sure, but what about 6 months from now? We had a 17 Honda CR-V ex that we paid 19k with under 30k for in 2/20. We put 20k miles on it and just took in 24k in trade for it. We essentially got paid to drive that vehicle for a year and change. You can talk a 21 ex to around 26-28 depending on where you are in the country. 4 years old and 2-4k less than new and 50k miles. Unheard of. I canā€™t see it progressing better than that. I mean when we bought that car, it was booking out at 22,900.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Exactly what I was going to say. Personally, Iā€™d put the order in and wait it out. Youā€™ve already got a great vehicle to drive in the meantime. I thought the market wouldnā€™t rise higher than it has but it keeps climbing. I see a used car decline eventually though, especially as things get back to ā€œnormalā€. Thereā€™s a demand now for sure, but what about 6 months from now? We had a 17 Honda CR-V ex that we paid 19k with under 30k for in 2/20. We put 20k miles on it and just took in 24k in trade for it. We essentially got paid to drive that vehicle for a year and change. You can talk a 21 ex to around 26-28 depending on where you are in the country. 4 years old and 2-4k less than new and 50k miles. Unheard of. I canā€™t see it progressing better than that. I mean when we bought that car, it was booking out at 22,900.
Yea great points you make. Yea I guess I'll just hang tight and when he tells me I can place an order then I hsve about 8 weeks I'd assume to sell the gc or if they offer me a decent number for the trade I'd probably just turn it in. Save me the hassle of dealing with people lol I don't like selling cars on my own.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
That is IF they even still make them.
Oh they will. The cost vs profit for these highly coveted machines is ridiculously good for the dealer and the manufacturer.

If 12 units sell at average MSRP $80K (most sell well over), thatā€™s an additional $960K added to the companyā€™s bottom line. If there are +/- 100 available per month, thatā€™s an additional $10M to be had.

It just makes good business sense.

Sponsored

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Supposedly Wrangler 2021 builds end Dec 4th and 2022 begins Dec 6th. '22 orders would open sometime in the fall (~Sept). Don't think there's been any confirmation that there'll be '22 392s, but I'd think there's a good chance since they seem to be doing so well.

Deleted member 67726

Ditto what outrun said...I actually placed 2 orders at two different dealers...first order told me 5 months...then my second order claimed to be an allocation and 2 months...I didn't trust either dealer and kept looking and found one on the lot in another state for msrp, not the add ons or color I would have gotten if I ordered it...but I still love this car and it was solely about the engine for me to buy this car!

It's just a strange car because it stole parts from left over parts bins all over jeep or dodge or Chrysler vehicles and then it got slapped together...so that's gotta be hard to replicate on a large scale

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Just a heads up the shortages arenā€™t going anywhere anytime soon, itā€™s expected to be up to 2 years before itā€™s back to normal, so I wouldnā€™t expect the used market craziness and everything to change anytime soon
Agree. I will in the Electronic Components industry. These shortages may improve in 2022 but not by much. 2021 however will be the worst of the two years.

Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Ditto what outrun said...I actually placed 2 orders at two different dealers...first order told me 5 months...then my second order claimed to be an allocation and 2 months...I didn't trust either dealer and kept looking and found one on the lot in another state for msrp, not the add ons or color I would have gotten if I ordered it...but I still love this car and it was solely about the engine for me to buy this car!

It's just a strange car because it stole parts from left over parts bins all over jeep or dodge or Chrysler vehicles and then it got slapped together...so that's gotta be hard to replicate on a large scale
Slapped together? On the contrary, everything on the 392 was either borrowed from the Gladiator (suspension and payload improvements vs. the standard JL), added to the global lineup (full-time 4x4) or engineered specifically to make the whole package work (hood scoop and cooling system)... the SRT name is no more, but those folks have more experience than anyone else in the industry turning "let's drop a V8 in it" into a showroom-ready product.

The Charger sees more fleet/police sales than private, but they've kept the Scat Pack package around for 5+ years...

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Hey guys,

So I had a very simple but specific build I wanted in firecracker red. My dealer who I've known for a long time and I'm quite friendly with told me he did have about three 392's coming in but none in firecracker red. I believe it was 1 snazznerry and 2 sting grays.

He mentioned due to constraints and 21s still being built my best bet may be to simply wait for the 22s if they are definitely making 22s.

I guess it's not the worse thing in the world as I still have to sell my 21 grand cherokee 5.7 trailhawk anyway. Plus it's something cool to look forward to!

Has anyone heard any rumors as to when I may be able to even place an order for a 22 392? That is IF they even still make them. I'm anticipating maybe being able to order by sept-oct?

Thanks and to all you guys enjoying your awesome 392s I'm very jealous yet happy for you guys!
Did this dealer that was pushing to to wait till 2022 have any allocations for a 2021 build?

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Did this dealer that was pushing to to wait till 2022 have any allocations for a 2021 build?
Yes but all spoken for already. I was checking out a green one when I was there last week. He has 3 more coming in but not the color or options I want. I figured if I am going to spend this kind of money on a Jeep I want to at least get exactly what I want for once. Not interested in doing a wrap or something like that. They are a pretty big dealer.

Paul19JLR

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If 12 units sell at average MSRP $80K (most sell well over), thatā€™s an additional $960K added to the companyā€™s bottom line.
So you're saying Stellantis makes 80k profit per vehicle?
I'm thinking you have an extra zero in there.šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Hey guys,

My dealer told me no 2022s until December this year.
Sponsored