Dealer Questioning Warranty due to aftermarket CB

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
So, I had a problem out of the blue on Sunday where my Jeep wouldn’t start (my key fob temporarily went dead and wouldn’t open the Jeep and wouldn’t start it). It worked after five minutes of trying to start the Jeep but I’m not sure why it eventually did work and the key fob/Jeep connection has been Ok since.

I took it to the dealership to check out and they are saying the aftermarket CB or backup lights may have caused the problem and it’s not under warranty. The tech actually thought I had an aftermarket security system added to it (which I didn’t). This is confusing. They are going to call back later with a more definitive read on the situation.

Has anyone has any experience with this type of pushback from the dealership? Any guidance?
Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Unfortunately its not uncommon, as I am a tech at a Jeep dealer. For some reason some techs see add ons as the devil and want to take it back to stock.

Odd that the key was dead then started working.

OP
OP

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
They said the issue was an aftermarket superchip used for the regearing after my lift and bigger tires that was not allowing them to do the testing. It sounds like they’ll be able to unplug it, then run any needed reprogramming and then reflash it in the future. It took some time for everyone to figure out what was going on.

They replaced the batteries in the key fobs. I’m hoping it was a case ofcold temps (I was in 12 degree temps for two hours and the fob was in an outer coat pocket) and a weakened fob battery that was the problem. It has been fine since.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
There is " always more to the Story ", the headline "aftermarket CB" culprit turns out to be an aftermarket chip used for regearing for lift, bigger tires......
"Just the Facts, ma'am"! Always love how many of these topics victimize the dealer (they do enough dumb shit on their own) and then convenient details come out a drop at a time that change the circumstances.

OP
OP

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Like I referenced, the the dealership came back with new info on a second call, after the initial call, which I shared in my second post. The second call was more constructive/less adversarial and they were more informed about my jeep. We all learned something.
Sponsored