Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
commercial and fine-art photographer
I plan on placing a factory order for a JLUR.

I was referred here on the forum to Travis at Tri-City, who is about 5 hours away from me. He’s been very responsive and helpful with emails. I’m not really able to take off and go there, because I look after my 93 year old father. So there’s a couple of options that Travis mentioned to deliver the order to me. One is a 3rd party carrier for $500, and any insurance claims would need to be handled thru the carrier. The second is the dealer can drive it to me for $200 and they would handle any claims from road damage. I’ve heard that there’s a lot of highway construction on I-40 between me and Tri-City, which makes me hesitant to have it driven here, a plus for the carrier, however 3rd party insurance is also a big concern.

Enter my third option. Mall of Georgia in Buford, GA has a matching quote, and it’s within a drivable distance of about 2 hours away.

So if you were in this position, which option would you go for, and are there any other circumstances that I’m overlooking?

Thanks

PS - I gave both quotes (5-7% below net) to the dealer in my town to see about keeping the business local, but her response seems like they just don’t want to (or can’t) compete with the larger dealers, nor does it make any sense to me: “The quotes you gave me are price with discounts. The dealership does not know what discounts you can get until the vehicle is delivered. I give you the price if I order the vehicle I can’t promise any discounts until the vehicle arrives.”
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on placing a factory order for a JLUR.

I was referred here on the forum to Travis at Tri-City, who is about 5 hours away from me. He’s been very responsive and helpful with emails. I’m not really able to take off and go there, because I look after my 93 year old father. So there’s a couple of options that Travis mentioned to deliver the order to me. One is a 3rd party carrier for $500, and any insurance claims would need to be handled thru the carrier. The second is the dealer can drive it to me for $200 and they would handle any claims from road damage. I’ve heard that there’s a lot of highway construction on I-40 between me and Tri-City, which makes me hesitant to have it driven here, a plus for the carrier, however 3rd party insurance is also a big concern.

Enter my third option. Mall of Georgia in Buford, GA has a matching quote, and it’s within a drivable distance of about 2 hours away.

So if you were in this position, which option would you go for, and are there any other circumstances that I’m overlooking?

Thanks

PS - I gave both quotes (5-7% below net) to the dealer in my town to see about keeping the business local, but her response seems like they just don’t want to (or can’t) compete with the larger dealers, nor does it make any sense to me: “The quotes you gave me are price with discounts. The dealership does not know what discounts you can get until the vehicle is delivered. I give you the price if I order the vehicle I can’t promise any discounts until the vehicle arrives.”
Same price at a dealer less than half the drive away? I'd go with the closer option. Even if the closer dealer would cost you an additional percent or so, you'd still spend the same as you would've with the added trucking and insurance.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I bought from Travis. Easiest transaction I've ever had and will buy from him again, no doubt about it. You gotta do what's best/easiest for you, but I can't recommend Travis and Tri-City enough.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I would buy from the place that you can drive it home. That is part of the new car experience!

Enjoy the new Jeep.

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
I would buy from the place that you can drive it home. That is part of the new car experience!

Enjoy the new Jeep.
I'm usually paranoid the first couple of weeks in the "new car experience" ha!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
I bought from Travis. Easiest transaction I've ever had and will buy from him again, no doubt about it. You gotta do what's best/easiest for you, but I can't recommend Travis and Tri-City enough.
Thanks. Yes, he's been very helpful.

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Same price at a dealer less than half the drive away? I'd go with the closer option. Even if the closer dealer would cost you an additional percent or so, you'd still spend the same as you would've with the added trucking and insurance.
Thanks for your thoughts!

ChaseW

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wrangler 392 XR
PM Sent regarding shipping.

Regarding your quandary, I would choose the dealer based on service. Travis is well known on these boards and does a great job. If you have already built rapport with him, I would stick there. Customer service, in my opinion, is remembered much longer than slightly better pricing. Shipping a car is easy.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
This is a no brainer to me

Stick with the original dealer who is reputable and be thankful they only charging you $200 to deliver it to you

Btw, stay away from any and every dealer who says the can't give you a price until they get the car on the lot

Sponsored

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

Stick with the original dealer who is reputable and be thankful they only charging you $200 to deliver it to you

Btw, stay away from any and every dealer who says the can't give you a price until they get the car on the lot
Discounts not withstanding. There may be some discount that come up between order and delivery. My dealer said he would honor any new discounts.

My buddy ordered a new Gladiator and a few weeks ago go a $1000 cash back award from Jeep. I did not. I was miffed about that.

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation

The delivery charge isn’t an issue. I’m just concerned with the delivery itself.

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation

The local dealer gave me net price, but couldn't disclose discounts off of that.

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
I want to thank everyone for their insights and let you know that I went with Travis at Tri-City and placed my order on Friday! He was definitely the most responsive and certainly most professional dealership I inquired with. Stoked to get on board!
Sponsored