Sponsored

Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10?

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
"Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing." is fine if that's how they want to do it (though why not just make the survey pass/fail at that point?). But if the customer is completing the survey honestly and it did not result in a 10, the dealership needs to remember that they are the ones that failed, not the customer. Berating a customer for not giving them a 10, especially when it was not deserved, is just wrong. That would push me away from returning to that dealership faster than the poor service.
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
When I was shopping 2 years ago, I got in the habit of reading reviews of any dealer before I considered the vehicles they were advertising. I found a tremendous amount of complaints about service departments. I don't know why it is so difficult to create a service department that treats their customers correctly. If they don't care to do that then they don't deserve a good survey rating.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I was shopping 2 years ago, I got in the habit of reading reviews of any dealer before I considered the vehicles they were advertising. I found a tremendous amount of complaints about service departments. I don't know why it is so difficult to create a service department that treats their customers correctly. If they don't care to do that then they don't deserve a good survey rating.
Service Depts. are between a rock and a hard place: vehicles are becoming more complex; FCA keeps issuing more trims, special editions and multiple variants while making it harder for dealers to honor warranty claims, and often not paying them enough. Increasingly Service Techs are less “mechanics” and more part swappers.

As the saying goes: shit rolls downhill.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Given the churn I've seen at multiple dealerships in multiple regions, I infer that they aren't good places to work but they are places one goes to get one's career started--a stepping stone. This means the company is not likely to invest in its people, which means they won't gain proficiency and the good techs will find better places to work.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Given the churn I've seen at multiple dealerships in multiple regions, I infer that they aren't good places to work but they are places one goes to get one's career started--a stepping stone. This means the company is not likely to invest in its people, which means they won't gain proficiency and the good techs will find better places to work.
My local Jeep dealer has the exact opposite problem: it refuses to fire incompetent bozos that have no business working in service.

The dealer’s reasoning for not firing them is because it is difficult to find qualified techs and advisors. So, apparently, they rather keep the “unqualified” ones...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Blame the manufacturer (all of them, they all require 10s to be considered passing).

I once had a conversation with the local Mercedes rep about this, and he was equally as delusional about it. Finding areas for improvement isn't the point of the surveys, looking good is.

Anything less than 10s means that allocations and money get held back from the dealer, so it wouldn't matter if you were getting 7s, and put the work in to get them to 9s and showed a massive amount of improvement, you are still failing with a 90%.

It's a stupid system, but blame the manufacturers for it, they're the ones forcing the dealers into playing the game.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Ok, here’s my take on the 1-10 rating:
  1. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. And may he drop a meteor on your dealership after I leave.
  2. Just like 1 only without the meteor.
  3. You got what I needed done, but it took too long, you made mistakes, and parts needed to be reordered after the fact.
  4. Just like 3, only the parts were there when I brought it in.
  5. You did what we agreed upon at the time we agreed upon for the price we agreed upon. Nothing more; nothing less.
  6. Just like 5 but your service rep smiled at me once and offered me a bottle of water while I waited.
  7. You did everything right the first time and in a reasonable timeframe. Your employees were friendly and listened. You also proactively did at least one good thing for my Jeep you didn’t have to like washing it without spots, or offered to perform a recommended service I should get but didn’t ask for (good for both parties).
  8. Your service was good enough that I left with a smile and would tell someone else to go there.
  9. Your service was good enough that I wouldn’t take my vehicle anywhere else.
  10. You have earned 100% of my new and existing business going forward, and I would out of sheer loyalty push other customers to you long term without question. Using your business is a no brainer going forward; some people will even travel long distance to use your dealership.
Ok, maybe it gets a lot tougher the higher you go… but to me, a “10” is really just exceptional and “above and beyond.” Not a “meets expectations.”

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  1. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. And may he drop a meteor on your dealership after I leave.
  3. You got what I needed done, but it took too long, you made mistakes, and parts needed to be reordered after the fact.
  5. You did what we agreed upon at the time we agreed upon for the price we agreed upon. Nothing more; nothing less.
  6. Just like 5 but your service rep smiled at me once and offered me a bottle of water while I waited.
  7. You did everything right the first time and in a reasonable timeframe. Your employees were friendly and listened. You also proactively did at least one good thing for my Jeep you didn’t have to like washing it without spots, or offered to perform a recommended service I should get but didn’t ask for (good for both parties).
  8. Your service was good enough that I left with a smile and would tell someone else to go there.
  10. You have earned 100% of my new and existing business going forward, and I would out of sheer loyalty push other customers to you long term without question. Using your business is a no brainer going forward; some people will even travel long distance to use your dealership.
Ok, maybe it gets a lot tougher the higher you go… but to me, a “10” is really just exceptional and “above and beyond.” Not a “meets expectations.”
I'd give my dealer a "1" if it weren't for the fact that it is only 1.5 miles from my house and a meteor might spoil my roof.

How about a massive lightning strike?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Service Depts. are between a rock and a hard place: vehicles are becoming more complex; FCA keeps issuing more...
Most complaints have to do with the business practices. People aren't treated fairly, vehicles aren't finished when promised, just crap like that. This kind of thing happens in lots of different businesses and I won't be a repeat customer.

I'd give my dealer a "1" if it weren't for the fact that it is only 1.5 miles from my house and a meteor might spoil my roof.
I bought my Jeep used from a dealer about 100 miles away. It has not been back to them and since the warranty was out shortly after I bought it I have no reason to take it back. Anything that needs to be done to it I will do myself, anything I can't do I will find a qualified independent shop to work on it. Of all of the vehicles I've owned in the past 30 years, I relied on the original dealers twice for warranty repairs, none at all for anything out of warranty. My father owned a garage for over 60 years and I learned the value of a qualified independent repair shop.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

This is what a 1-10 scale looks like to me, or rather close to this. As a person in the industry pointed out, you need to look at the calibration the survey is looking for. On the Stellantis survey, they specifically call out a 10 as "Completely Satisfied". This equates to a 7 on my scale, or a 5 on your scale. Their scale makes no allowances for anything above and beyond a 5 on your scale.

Stupid and broken system..

do understand calibration, and see the argument the gentleman made in the thread earlier. If the survey says make a 10 for meets expectations, it is fair to be expected to mark a 10 if expectations are met. If the survey instructions say a 10 is for exceeds expectations, than your standards or mine are more than fair.

I also agree with what someone said earlier.. if a "10" is considered meets expectations, then having 9 degrees of doesn't meet expectations is rather stupid and pointless. It should be a simple "Did our service meet your expectations: yes / no" ... and be done with it.. "1-9 no" makes absolutely no sense.

Sponsored

Michael_LI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
A survey is there for a reason. If they provided PERFECT service then, sure give them a 10, otherwise, you're letting every other customer down by being emotionally blackmailed, unduly kind or just plain weak in not wanting a 'confrontation'. How else can they improve if everyone were to give them full marks. I had really shitting service and waited weeks for them to resolve the issues before I completed the survey but in the end, gave up and gave them an honest, but bad survey. It didn't go down well but that was THEIR fault. Please everyone, be honest with surveys and feedback - stop being unnecessarily kind.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what a 1-10 scale looks like to me, or rather close to this. As a person in the industry pointed out, you need to look at the calibration the survey is looking for. On the Stellantis survey, they specifically call out a 10 as "Completely Satisfied". This equates to a 7 on my scale, or a 5 on your scale. Their scale makes no allowances for anything above and beyond a 5 on your scale.

Stupid and broken system..

do understand calibration, and see the argument the gentleman made in the thread earlier. If the survey says make a 10 for meets expectations, it is fair to be expected to mark a 10 if expectations are met. If the survey instructions say a 10 is for exceeds expectations, than your standards or mine are more than fair.

I also agree with what someone said earlier.. if a "10" is considered meets expectations, then having 9 degrees of doesn't meet expectations is rather stupid and pointless. It should be a simple "Did our service meet your expectations: yes / no" ... and be done with it.. "1-9 no" makes absolutely no sense.
I agree with your points. And - I actually did give legit 10’s on my last survey when I bought my Jeep back in June. The dealer did actually earn it! 😳👍

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
"Completely Satisfied" is relative/subjective.

Perhaps a lesson for customers is to state expectations upfront, all pedantic-like.

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Any dealer that solicits a high satisfaction score more than likely doesn't deserve it. If they have to ask for it then it's obvious they didn't earn it.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a woman tells you that she was “completely satisfied,” would she give you a 10? 🤔

I just asked my wife this question just now to test the theory, and she did give me a quick “yeah!” So…yup.

I literally did do this btw, it was funny, we got a good laugh 😆
Sponsored